The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

why is flat black hated so much?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The sad part is it doesn't take that much more to rattle can it the right way and have it come out decent, hell it only took the wife and me 2 hours.

i know this kid who had an integra all different colors spray canned it flat black in my friends back yard haha and from what i hear i guess it looked alright :thumb:

somebody flat black an import. Why so much angst over something so trivial?
Prob that it make the car look like it's owned by a gang-banger and the color and texture draws the police's attention.

The law keeps an eye out for this. I sure the hell wouldn't want to gain any sort of attention like that - rather just blend into the crowd with a color.

-DSM

I like flat back when it's done well and not half assed.

Half assed it just looks like someone was a cheap ass and impatient.

Personally I think it looks cheap. To me it screams look at me I made a sad and cheap attempt at painting my car myself and decided to skip on the gloss colors. Everytime I see one in person I just cry a little inside because it looks dumb. I have only seen one car pull it off to perfection and that was an 08 Mercedes that was also slammed and was on some black wheels. That was pure awesome, but it was also a professional flat/satin finish.

It looks cheap and ghetto, thats why.

i feel bad for people that pay good money for a flat black or matte paint job, "you paid to make your car look like shit? i would have done it for you for $15". Only matte black cars ive seen that even remotely pulled it off was a matte black C6ZO6 with black wheels, and a matte black Lambo Gallardo also with matte black wheels and completely murdered out. Even then, id still rather have a nice and shiny gloss black with gloss black wheels. Just looks trashy IMO.

Ive flat black rattlecanned a crx but it was only to protect it and not drive around with 5 different color body parts until my buddy could get it in and paint it. Painted it gloss black btw, looked 1000000x better than flat black. came out decent, it was splotchy a bit where we first started laying down, but a quick light wetsand fixed that.

I mostly hate flat black because I like shiny things. Also because a friend of mine painted his previous car (a prelude) flat black. But now he drives a dsm now so he redeemed himself a bit.

I am a big fan of flat black, my 99 gsx is being painted flat black as i type.. I am using paint and not primer in hopes that the paint will hold up better against weather than the primer will.. Either way we are using a gun, compressor, the right way..

The dopes who use primer make flat blacking look bad.

A good flat black can be really nice. I love the way my Talon looks and prefer the flat black over shiny.

My flat-blacked girl:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Ever heard of hot rod black? Its not really flat, its more of a satin color. I think it looks good. I have seen some civic hatch's painted with it and they looked really good.

This thread needs more pics...

I personally think satin black is a great look but only on cars that have the balls to back it up. If you don't have any power under the hood, forget about it. Here's a few pics of an awesome paint job done with krylon rattlecan satin black. I found these pics online awhile ago. Too bad it's a Civic...

Win.

Fail.

I think that flat black looks great on a car that is done well and the car is clean. problem is that it usually is used to cover up a crappy car 99.99999999999999% of the time.

As long as you do it right and take your time there is nothing better then a flat black paint job. IMHO

To me it looks very very good

Most cars that you see that look that nice in a flat black are usually wrapped in a flat-black vinyl, not painted. A bunch of companies have done this already to get that look without having to completely take apart the car.

YouTube - Ferrari F430 Stealth

I like the flat black look. unless it's a 10$ paint job from walmart spray cans. Professional flat black paint is smooth, where as spray can flat black looks flat mostly because of the porousness and "orange peel" in it. Usually I see bad flat black paint jobs as being ready for paint but the owner just hasn't painted it yet LOL it should just be done the right way and not from a spray can in my opinion and 90% of everyone else opinion it seems. Flat black is only hated on down here when it's a poor paint job

I like the flat black look. unless it's a 10$ paint job from walmart spray cans. Professional flat black paint is smooth, where as spray can flat black looks flat mostly because of the porousness and "orange peel" in it. Usually I see bad flat black paint jobs as being ready for paint but the owner just hasn't painted it yet LOL it should just be done the right way and not from a spray can in my opinion and 90% of everyone else opinion it seems. Flat black is only hated on down here when it's a poor paint job

Mine cost me 11$ is that any better? ROFL Basicly only cost me 11$ because I already had all the other supplies left over from back when I painted her last year. Honestly, a flat black out of a rattle can usualy looks horrid because there is no prep work and people dont usualy know how to lay down paint with a rattler. Here are the steps I took just as a refference.

1. degrease entire body top to bottom

2. if there is heavy damage (like mine was i.e. keyed up) hit the body with some heavy grit paper like 300 grit or similar to remove and level trash paint.

3. wet sand ENTIRE body with 800 - 1000 grit paper.

4. lay down two coats of primer, wet sanding with 1000 grit between coats and after final coat. Allow to dry before sanding or it will just clog the paper.

5. heat rattle can of choice in warm water for 15 minutes.

6. Shake cans vigorously for amount of time specified on can.

7. begin spraying, starting on the roof, hood and trunk area, working your way down. Spraying one panel at a time, 6 to 8 inches away. make sure to keep a 50% overlap to avoid tiger striping.

8. Allow first coat to dry and wet sand again with 1000 grit.

9. lay down second coat following step 7.

Two coats SHOULD be enough, lay down more if you feel you need to. The end product will depend on a few things, your patience, your can control and the paint you use, personaly I suggest using painters touch by rustoleum, very tough, lays nicely and very hard to tigerstripe unless you are a complete idiot.

ok ok. I agree with you dsmfreak, a lot of the overall appearance depends on what is underneath and how much time one is willing to put into it. I painted my friends honda with flat black rustoleum oil-based enamel and a spray gun and it turned out really good. Not quite as good as if I had sprayed it with $200 flat black enamel but he had a budget to keep in mind LOL ROFL

ok ok. I agree with you dsmfreak, a lot of the overall appearance depends on what is underneath and how much time one is willing to put into it. I painted my friends honda with flat black rustoleum oil-based enamel and a spray gun and it turned out really good. Not quite as good as if I had sprayed it with $200 flat black enamel but he had a budget to keep in mind LOL ROFL

I deff. understand the budget thing. Being poor sucks, I'm cursed with the same fate :D Question for ya though, how long did it take for the rustoleum to dry? and what did you cut it with?

believe me you aren't the only one cursed with the poor streak right now :mad: and i cut it with just a little mineral spirits, don't ask me the ratio because I don't know, I've painted so much I just mix till it looks right. If I was doing a gloss color I wouldn't have cut it with mineral spirits though because it takes some of the gloss away and makes it more flat color. And I let it dry for 2 days, it claims on the can to take 24 hours but....better safe than sorry to me. And I'm sorry for saying it was "flat", it's more of a satin I guess than actual flat. but for the price.... almost unbeatable ROFL

i actually like flat black and satin black everything i have painted black is either satin black or flat black i have show everyone pics or let them see what i had painted they do like flat black and satin black better

Satin black looks nice

But if you were going to go flat black on a 2g, don't. The shape of the car is to "round"
1g, is ok.

Something like an evo, YES! only because it has more sharp corners and i think it brings out some of the lines of a vehicle better. Thats just my .02

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back