The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Flat Black [Merged 2-9] paint painted finish

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damn, I try and try, and it keeps coming out like this. But at least it's legal size for this site.

Attachments

• 800px-CowPie-JeffVanuga.JPG
    800px-CowPie-JeffVanuga.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 557
Wow, the image I posted alone was only 17 pixes over on the width, and like 60 pixels under on the height... I'm sorry for it being soo big! :D

Wow, the image I posted alone was only 17 pixes over on the width, and like 60 pixels under on the height... I'm sorry for it being soo big! :D

Well, it's pretty simple. "Over" is "over". Not a matter of "by how much", but only that it is. That's why it's called a limit. It's not like the picture on a TV dinner box, where it says, "Suggested Serving". It's an actual limit. Being under the limit is fine. Over, in either direction, isn't. Grasp-o?

And yes, 701 pixel images have been, and will continue to be, re-addressed as links.

:beatentodeath:

Thats the picture he sent me when I spoke to him about it... so if there was a clean pic, I think he'd send it to me. But my car looked like that when it was dirty, and when it was clean looked alot like the car you showed

I'm sure there is allot of people that have... Would there advice be the best to use Probably Not
Painting a car any FLAT color is not really painting it IMOA, It is more of something someone does like putting a coat of Primer on a car that has been sanded so it doesn't rust

does your car still have the gloss on it? i helped a buddy of mine flat his car before.. we started off with a 150 grit to get it down to primer and then used a 200 grit to make it more fine.. then we put 3 coats of flat black primer and wet sanded a little to smoothen it out

If you are really desperate I can get a pic tomorrow. My brother and I painted a 1g flat black just because we were bored, seriously. I think it looks good but wouldn't advise it unless you current paint is peeling or is faded. The flat black scheme actually looks really good with a set of polished aluminum wheels.

flat black is not as intense as everyone makes it out to be, yeah you can sand and wet sand and yada yada but if you're THAT into it, you're probably not rattlecanning your car. I've done it all you do seriously if mask off the shit you don't want black and have at it. Try to keep it even and maybe spray some flat clear (Yes, you can get clear coat spray paint) so it doesn't scuff whenever someone leans against it or something, but you don't even have to do that. The most tedious part is taping stuff off. Try it. It looks sick.

Attachments

• eclipse.jpg
    eclipse.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 565
i was considering doing this myself since my clear coat is starting to come off whenever i wax my car.. only thing is my car would be black outside and green frame/engine bay which would look like shit..

a guy that i used to work with said with flat black paint you can use a paint roller and just roll the paint on and it turns out really good, may even come out more even than a spray can job!

And as chrispittman mentioned earlier flat clear would be good idea too

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Alright the flat paint pics is a rush hush rattle can job, the gloss pics we took more time on after the flat rattle can paint job. Neither paint job is perfect but both were done outside.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a difference between PRIMER and FLAT paint.
:)

I'm well aware the difference between primer and paint...I've worked a few years in a body shop... it was an analogy:applause:
I almost did my old Eclipse flat blue, but this pic is just after wet sanding it.
Almost did? but here is a pic?:idontknow:

I plan on doing the flat black to mine too! and possibly to the rims, I've always wanted to murder mine out ever since I saw it on rob & big.

That mag picture is nice, but it looks more like a primer black than a flat, a clear coat over the flat black you put on might help deepen it or give it a little more substance, and it will help keep the pain from getting buffed or anything like that.

I'm well aware the difference between primer and paint...I've worked a few years in a body shop... it was an analogy:applause:

Almost did? but here is a pic?:idontknow:

UMM...thats awesome that you know the difference...I NEVER said YOU didn't know the diff. I was just putting the INFO out there for folks that DIDN'T know the difference between FLAT paint and PRIMER.

If you read MY WHOLE statement you would see that I said "I almost did my old Eclipse flat blue,
but this pic is just after wet sanding it.".
The PICTURE was taken RIGHT after I wet sanded the whole car. That is why it looks FLAT. Once I ran a BUFFER on the car it looked like shiny smooth glass.

That is what a car looks like after wet sanding it. (color sanding it)

It's been over 5 years since I checked this thread last. Wow.

My Flat Black 1Gb is on the first page. Pictures still up on the page.

Here is my favorite of that car. And man, was that a long time ago. I think at least 6 years ago.

And of course, my old 2g TSi AWD

mine i did with krylon rattlecan.......... dont care if its spraypaint, i like it LOL

hers my laser did this outside but its not a dd and ive always wanted a flat black car

Anyone with any pictures of a 1ga like this. Toying with the idea to paint it like this.

Honestly, it does look like the front bumper is a lighter shade. I just finished painting mine flat black today. I'll take pics tomorrow. I did it myself, in my side yard, with walmart 96 cent a can flat black paint, and walmart $1.12 a can primer. This was after trying out an expensive primer and krylon $4.50 a can satin black. I honestly think the walmart brand paint looks 100x better. The only part that needs a second coat still is the hood because i was running low on paint. I was having the same problem mentioned again, the car was in the rebuild phase and i was just sick of driving the red car with a grey front bumper and a white rear bumper...but then i fell in love with the flat black.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back