The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

why is flat black hated so much?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I love the flat black, the 240z is siiicckkk ^. I saw the flat white one with the spray paint, and I was wondering if anyone reads heavy hitter's mag. They had an m3 this month done with sharpie!!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I'm actually going to be doing this to my 92 in the next few weeks, going with the hotrod black. Trying to get the car looking halfway presentable for HIN/Nopi in Atlanta

Why do most people hate flat black? Because this is what they think of when they hear "Flat black paint job":

If the paint job was done right, and looks like this:

Then I don't think people are as quick to hate.

if done right and the right mods, I think it looks tight on 2G's but, it can't look stock and be flat black then it looks stupid LOL

PLASTIDIP. Almost fool proof, im dipping my 1ga this summer.

dipyourcar.com

I would say for most people (including myself) it's a budget thing. I have a 1990 talon with LOTS of slight imperfections in the body which would cost thousands (or lots of labor hours) to fix correctly, not including the paint job.

For me its ALL about the GO not the show, not worth $3k+ in body work/quality paint. That being said, prep your car correctly even if your spray bombing it. It makes 100% difference. And use appropriate paint. If you use grill paint or rattle primer, you're gonna have a bad time mmk.

+1 on the PlastiDip, I have a certain... expertise in rattle-canning my car, seeing as I have done it 3 times now: Krylon Satin Italian Olive, Plastidip Black, and finally Krylon Camo Ultra-Flat Olive. What I have learned from all three paintings is that if you are going to rattle can your car, it is IMPERATIVE that you get paint with this Krylon: The Greatest Revolution in spray paint is Here! type of fan spray, you get the best coverage and less of the striping issue...the Krylon Camo didn't have these, so I pulled the ones it came with off and swapped the 360 nozzles on and the result was a smooth finish. The Krylon Satin and Matte Black paints, when the surface is prepped correctly (clean AND smooth) the result is gorgeous. TIP: Paint does have a tendency to peel and flake after a few NW months IF, note the "IF" there, you do not prep the surface properly! I painted my spoiler right over the previous layer without primer and now I am paying the price for it with hideous flaking.

Another idea worth researching is 3M Matte Black 1080 Vehicle Wrap Vinyl Film for those who have the extra time, cash and patience to do it themselves. Side note: the reason I say go with the 3M Vinyl as opposed to the cheaper vinyls that are offered is because it has the ability to release any trapped air pockets without having to poke holes in it which makes the installation SOOO much less of a nightmare.

on one of my old cars, the paint was a faded dingy white. I got tired of looking at it so we taped it off and decided to experiment a little. I got a can of rust oleum flat black and mixed lacquer with it and sprayed it down with a gun. no streaks and had a little shine to it. looked pretty damn good.

I plastidipped my 2g black, its flat and it was real easy and came out very well. all prep work and painting took like 6 hours and the car came out real clean.

I'm not the hipster type who just hates on any new trend because its what the cool kids are doing, but it seems I see more examples like that Integra up there then I do cars like the Silvia or that old hot rod a few pages back.

A paint job requires skill, flat or matte or shiny and the whole trend of rattle can paint jobs is just gross IMO.

I love the flat black, the 240z is siiicckkk ^. I saw the flat white one with the spray paint, and I was wondering if anyone reads heavy hitter's mag. They had an m3 this month done with sharpie!!

Did those dudes get lost on their way to a professional poker match or something?

I think we'll go with number 6 since F%^K YOU PIG, is usualy assosciated with some sort of person in uniform. Im guessing their not a fan of the security company I (unfortunately) work for (darn economy crash!) LOL 6) they saw you exit your vehicle and disliked your clothing or ethnicity
Either that or they don't like me cause im one of those very disliked "Polkadotted people" J.K.
WOW! I wasn't actualy expecting to be a popular thread COOL!

Theres nothing wrong with working in Security... pays not that great sometimes, but its honest work.... I work Security until I can get my finances in order to go into the Academy. Funny thing is, our uniforms or exactly like the local PD so I get confused as a cop all the time...

Every time I stop to get gas on the way too or from work I get asked if my car is an under cover and if I have any sweet interceptor mods under the hood...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back