The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Flat Black or Gloss Black

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wow that flat red does look pretty sick.

I think I've just decided on jet gloss black though, because my mom surprised me buy buying me a 350 dollar gallon of really high end clear.

Nice! I would have said satin black but since you've got the clear, the gloss black will looks great too. Hopefully I'll be pulling my 1g into the paint booth this weekend for a coat of satin black. :D

The satin black looks really good to me. Very unique. I think even to the untrained eye, there's something complete and professional about it. Anyone will be able to pick up on the gleam, which primer/wal-mart paint does not have.

Good luck keeping any scuffs or marks hidden though. Black's impossible to keep clean.

Flat black is stealthy...be a ninja

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

LOL farrrrrrrr from Illest. Wannabe's need to leave that thing alone if they can't do it properly.

Also don't do flat its ghetto and stupid. Don't half ass it go gloss.

If you already have the clear, you can add in a flattening agent in order to go satin or flat.

those pictures look sick man.. id go gloss black though.. looks like the bat mobile kinda LOL.. great work though.. keep it up

i know this is a really old thread came cross this flat black eclipse and i love it! wasnt sure i wanted to do it to mine but i looks sweet!

Go satin, its got a nice dull shine to it...Flat black looks to unfinished

Thats my old STi converted Bugeye in flat red.
I think it would be a cool color for a 2gb

i think flat black and white on an older car just looks faded, flat blue? thats sick:)

Man I see do what YOU want that is all that matters but since you are asking opinions, I think as long as you do gloss or satin you should be good. Flat is too boring and most people will think it is primer or something and say its a POS.

Now that I'm seeing every other sports car in a flat black on the road daily. I would keep it glossy.

I did my GS-T in flat black rattle cans from wal-mart because I was broke.

Came out pretty good I think. Its a Talon now, but Its going to be gloss black when I get some money.

If you're going to do something other than shiny do a satin black like this one. THIS looks good. Flat black out of a can looks chalky and cheap.

With that said, as much as I like this car, I would say gloss. Nothing beats the look of nice shiny black paint, BUT, it's a b**ch to keep looking good.

My 2 cents.... A true flat paint job is expensive! You have to use flating clear coat and it costs big bucks.if you just spray it flat witout it it will fade in a year or so in the sun. I went the cheap route and did a vinyl wrap for like 500$ and its gloss underneath if i want to pull it off. Check out metrorestyling.com for prices on wrap. Its easy to do and only takes a sat, To put it all on the right way.

My 2 cents.... A true flat paint job is expensive! You have to use flating clear coat and it costs big bucks.if you just spray it flat witout it it will fade in a year or so in the sun. I went the cheap route and did a vinyl wrap for like 500$ and its gloss underneath if i want to pull it off. Check out metrorestyling.com for prices on wrap. Its easy to do and only takes a sat, To put it all on the right way.

A true paint job of any sorts is going to be expensive. Cheap is cheap is cheap. Cheap flat, cheap gloss, cheap vinyl... you gotta pay to truly make a car look good.

I have never seen a wrap that has been applied well enough to look like a paint job. Door jams, handles, around the windows, head lights and tail lights, they just seem to come short.

Just my .02

If you're going to do something other than shiny do a satin black like this one. THIS looks good. Flat black out of a can looks chalky and cheap.

With that said, as much as I like this car, I would say gloss. Nothing beats the look of nice shiny black paint, BUT, it's a b**ch to keep looking good.

yeah that's true i have a black 99 GS-T and it looks nice when it's just been wash and clean and even better when its wax :cool: but its so hard to keep clean i wish i had a white or silver GS-T it would be so much easier to keep looking good

If you take your time with wrap it can look better than a paint job. My jams are done all the way through. I actually won best paint at a local show and had to explain to them it wasnt paint LOL. Its true you get what you pay for but the fact that 500$ and a weekend for me and another guy you cant beat it. If you just want a test too see how you like it thats the route id go. My wrap is 3m and has a 7 year full warrenty. Ive drive my mr2 daily and theres not a single rock chip or scratch. Its kinda great because heat fixes any little blemish.

If you take your time with wrap it can look better than a paint job. My jams are done all the way through. I actually won best paint at a local show and had to explain to them it wasnt paint LOL. Its true you get what you pay for but the fact that 500$ and a weekend for me and another guy you cant beat it. If you just want a test too see how you like it thats the route id go. My wrap is 3m and has a 7 year full warrenty. Ive drive my mr2 daily and theres not a single rock chip or scratch. Its kinda great because heat fixes any little blemish.

any pictures?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back