The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

wheels sticking out further on one side ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trent205

Probationary Member
May 18, 2019
Edmonton, AB_Canada
so I just put on new rims and tires, but upon closer inspection I can see that the rear passenger side wheel is sticking out further than the opposite side.... or I suppose maybe the drivers side is perhaps pushed in more cause the offset on my rims actually pushed out the fronts as well. I’ve been trying to go over why or how is this occurred but come up with nothing?!?!?!?

Lol the buddy of mine who installed the tires says maybe someone hit a curb in the car and pushed it over???

Is this possible ? Or is the something more sinister going on here?

Also I should mention that there is some kind of clunking noise coming from the car whenever i accelerate or brake. I’m thinking this has to do with the struts, could the two be related?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide

I did some research on this years ago, just after I got my talon, and recall running across someone saying it's common on 1gs that things were biased to the passenger side on the suspension/wheels/subframe. I tried a couple years ago to find the same info, but failed, and quit worrying about it personally because the car drives perfectly fine and straight. My OCD would like it to be even, but the 1/2-3/4" it's off roughly just doesn't hit my GAF meter.

It's possible the bushings are shot on the subframes, or that something is tweaked, only way yo know is start searching for bent/broken stuff, or take it to a body shop with a frame rack and have em measure it.

The clunking on Accel/decel/braking sounds like a motor mount or control arm bushing being worn out, I'd address that asap.

Do you have any pics of your cars particular bias of the wheels? I'll try to get some of mine and post back.

Here’s a few pics it’s a bit hard to tell but it’s probably 3/4” further out on the passenger side rear. As for the engine mount, I took your advice and just ordered new ones today. As for the control arms I’m gonna have to take the tires off I think to get a close look.
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
I did some research on this years ago, just after I got my talon, and recall running across someone saying it's common on 1gs that things were biased to the passenger side on the suspension/wheels/subframe. I tried a couple years ago to find the same info, but failed, and quit worrying about it personally because the car drives perfectly fine and straight. My OCD would like it to be even, but the 1/2-3/4" it's off roughly just doesn't hit my GAF meter.

It's possible the bushings are shot on the subframes, or that something is tweaked, only way yo know is start searching for bent/broken stuff, or take it to a body shop with a frame rack and have em measure it.

The clunking on Accel/decel/braking sounds like a motor mount or control arm bushing being worn out, I'd address that asap.

Do you have any pics of your cars particular bias of the wheels? I'll try to get some of mine and post back.

Here’s a few pics it’s a bit hard to tell but it’s probably 3/4” further out on the passenger side rear. As for the engine mount, I took your advice and just ordered new ones today. As for the control arms I’m gonna have to take the tires off I think to get a close look.
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated

Mine looks similar, save your front left is out a touch farther than the right, the rears are the same as mine. I forgot to get pictures today, but I'll try to remember tomorrow for reference.

Like I said, I recall an old thread that had an explanation, but I cannot find it now.

Mine looks similar, save your front left is out a touch farther than the right, the rears are the same as mine. I forgot to get pictures today, but I'll try to remember tomorrow for reference.

Like I said, I recall an old thread that had an explanation, but I cannot find it now.

I’d like to see them if ya can find them :)

Thanks

Is it lowered? Fwd 1gs use a track bar to locate the rear axle when you lower the car it essentially makes the bar longer causing one side to poke out further.

Normal. Get a camber kit.

I'm thinking this is the case.
Of course :rolleyes: last year I put new tires, adjustable upper arms and a toe eliminator kit, then had mine aligned for almost zero toe and I believe .5* camber. Before that I had wider tires and all stock camber/toe, and it was big time noticeable. Now, I look and mine is only slightly biased, but to the drivers side... So much for my memory, guess I never bothered to really check the track after I did all that last year cuz it drove a million times better :idontknow:

Here's pics, super hard to see any bias...

Old 225 series tires poked alot, guessing my parts and adjustments fixed it :ohdamn:

Turns out you were right, control arm bushing.... also apparently it’s easier to just replace the entire part rather than just the bushings. To be honest I’m presently surprised at how affordable the parts are. Hopefully have them by the weekend and be doing the job this weekend:)

Thanks for the input, much appreciated

Turns out you were right, control arm bushing.... also apparently it’s easier to just replace the entire part rather than just the bushings. To be honest I’m presently surprised at how affordable the parts are. Hopefully have them by the weekend and be doing the job this weekend:)

Did you ever figure this out after I put my evo 8 wheels the right is sticking out farther

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back