The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

New struts and one side is leaning.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noplaymaker

Probationary Member
Jul 17, 2013
New Orleans, Louisiana
Just put my new struts in and one side is really low and rubbing on the littlest bumps. This is directly after! Could they be blown already??? I'm about to take the wheel off and check it out. I can deal with the rubbing.

When you assembled the strut, did by chance forget the sleeve that sits below the hat? Bottom left in the pic below.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I'm taking it apart now. I cant see that being that it's behind the sleeve, but I'll report back. Only think I noticed different was that the strut was in the fork more in the side thats lower. The other side Isn't that far down.(Part that has the bolt securing the fork to the strut)...I'll try and take some pictures.

The washer is a critical component here. If you do not install it in the proper location, between the strut and the boot, then it can cause the strut to push through the boot and put all of the pressure on the springs. Are your springs factory?

Only think I noticed different was that the strut was in the fork more in the side thats lower. The other side Isn't that far down.(Part that has the bolt securing the fork to the strut)...I'll try and take some pictures.

I always put a jack under the control arm and compress the suspension when torquing the nut/bolts. This helps make sure the strut is all the way into the fork as long as everything is lined up. I think you're actually supposed to torque the nuts/bolts with the wheel on and the weight of the car on the suspension, but that way seems much harder.

the strut being in the fork more is just looks, only one hole the bolt can go it. Def. take Ramenprides advice and put pressure on it by jacking it up and then tighten. Did that this weekend and the ride is perfect.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back