The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

What month were the first talons manufactured?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GooeyGus

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 23, 2009
Marysville, Washington
Hey Guys,
I was just wondering, what month were the very first production talons sold? I was looking at the door sticker of my car and found some interesting info. It is a 1990 model year, but was manufactured in June 1989! I am thinking that this has to be one of the really early talons, but all the info I can find just says "The talon was manufactured beginning in mid 1989 and sold as the 1990 model year".

So, even though it doesn't really mean anything, I just want to know if mine was maybe built in the first month of production.

A couple of my friends also have 1990 models, but theirs were all built in very late 89 or sometime in 90.

Anyone have any specific info?

I also have a very early talon, with all of the original documents. It was sold and shipped directly from Normal to an engineering firm in Chicago as a company car. $18,670.00 to the door.

I also have a very early talon, with all of the original documents. It was sold and shipped directly from Normal to an engineering firm in Chicago as a company car. $18,670.00 to the door.

I wish I had some of the history of my car. I have the name of the original owner, and know that it was sold in florida (and now it's in WA... just about as far away from the original sale location as it could possibly be, and still be in the US... haha)

Just curious, what is the manufacture date of your car?

Really? Crazy!

I knew there were some lasers (I think it was the laser anyway) because they actually had a 1989 model year (or am I wrong?). Did the Talon have a 1989 model year or were they all released as 90's?

I read that whole thing before I posted, just looking for some more accurate dates. Wiki just says they were manufactured starting in mid 1989, but nothing about the actual month.

Mine is Nov 1, 1989, I'm interested in when the first month was too. :thumb:

I read that in the early 1990 talons, the last 6 digits of the VIN (the serial number) could be linear, since they were a late addition to the model lineup.

Maybe it would be cool if we posted the date of manufacture and the serial number, to see if they at least line up a little bit.

I'll go check mine and report back.

last year at the dsm shootout i was amazed to see a 1989 eclipse awd. i talked to the owner of the car and told him i didnt know that they made the eclipse in 1989 amd he provided me all documentation on the car and even the window sticker prover it was a 1989 model eclipse. thats the ONLY one that ive ever seen.

The way the car manufacturs classify cars is the middle of the year (june) or the sixth month till june of the next year is ### the classify it as a production yr. So if your car was a 90 model it could have been made from june of 89 till june of 90. They still do that to this day. It may be a bit diff but thats the idea.

The Laser was actually the first DSM to be produced and right behind was the Eclipse. The prototype DSM was a Laser called at that time the "X2S" .. pict of the April 1988 R&T Magazine below:

the convertible was a one build concept car while the coupe was destined for production with a few minor body modifications, esp. with the front and rear bumper covers. The exhaust originally came thorugh the rear bumper cover. But both vehicles did carry the 4G63 turbo layout.

On the LASER, have some fun reading this below ... as it follows mine as well since I'm in also in stock form:http://www.allpar.com/model/laser.html

History: DSM production started that June of 1988, but were sold as 1990 model year vehicles. Thus Mits, and Chrysler had a good two years of 1990 DSM's until June of 90 when the 91's start rolling out with the VIN code "ME"

1Ga/b codes below:

1990 - LE
1991 - ME
1992 - NE
1993 - PE
1994 - RE

On that sticker you see the Month and Year built, but in the lower left corner is the "MDH" - Month, Day and Hour.

My Laser was built in June of 1989 with the MDH of 060612 - June 6th at Noon when it exited the factory at Normal, Ill. VIN number LE026002

Last year, I saw an '90 Eclipse GSX in a yard with the VIN's last characters of LE000742 .. The sticker read "October of 1988" with an MDH of 100222.

Happy and Safe Driving, all .. Good luck! - DSM

Attachments

• April1988RoadandTrackMagazine.jpg
    April1988RoadandTrackMagazine.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 73
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back