The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Valve Cover Baffle Project

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greengoblin

Supporting Vendor
Mar 10, 2006
McKinney, Texas
We had been left with the choice two choice when we want to add fittings or media blast our VC for powder coating.

1. Take the baffles out and leave them out.
2. Leave them in. Cross our fingers and pray nothing became hung up under them and then later dislodged wreaking havoc.

I don't think either of these are good choice so this is what I came up with. I had several very good friends help me with this.I the love the way it turned out. Take a look and see what you think. Nothing super radical just an Aluminum version of the OEM units. The first unit is going to be on Andrew's timeattack eclipse!

Big thanks to Brendon For setting up the drawings for the plasma cutter.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

First baffle fully welded together. Now the AN fittings and baffle need to be welded to the VC then on to coating. Thanks to Travis for welding the tabs on the baffles for me!

Andrew's VC for his time attack eclipse.

-10an fitting with custom baffles.

Last edited:
That turned out very nice.
I had considered recreating the baffle out of aluminum too, but it would have taken me forever doing it all with hand tools. I never got beyond making a cardboard pattern for it. LOL

You're doing your VC the same way, right? I'm surprised Andrew didn't want a screw-on filler for his.

That turned out very nice.
I had considered recreating the baffle out of aluminum too, but it would have taken me forever doing it all with hand tools. I never got beyond making a cardboard pattern for it. LOL

You're doing your VC the same way, right? I'm surprised Andrew didn't want a screw-on filler for his.

Drew was in a hurry and I didn't even think to ask him. I don't think he will mind though.

I glad I didn't have to use hand tools. I came close too. your right it would take some time but it's very doable.

That's awesome.

Where did you weld the baffle back into the VC Kevin? I don't see any welds in the bottom pic.

Just along the sides in a few places. I didn't get pics but will take some when I do mine.

Two words. How much?

I'm not a vendor so I can't talk about that. To use the plasma table I had to do five sets. Four are already gone. I don't know it I'll make more or not. You can Pm if you like.

Great job on the baffle mod greengoblin, attention to detail :hellyeah:

Thanks!

Yeah... if only you knew someone with access to a plasma cutter. :hmm: :p

It is quite nice. I still had to pay to have five cut out. So it was not free. Also I would have liked for the the resolution of the table to have been better than it was. Still I'm happy.

It is quite nice. I still had to pay to have five cut out. So it was not free. Also I would have liked for the the resolution of the table to have been better than it was. Still I'm happy.

I was just giving Paul a hard time because I have access to a plasma and probably could have cut one out back then when we weren't so busy. :)

I have considered making one manually and then just stitching it in a few spots to hold it down and tight but like Paul said, I drew it up on Cad and marked it on a alum. sheet but never got around to actually cutting it out. Now I may be forced to use Ford specialty rivets, but PM sent!

Another thing I thought was tapping a couple holes and putting some bolts in, and then tacking the bolt heads to the stock baffle plate. eeehh

or. Cutting out strips of alum. like 1" by whatever width that will string from one side to another, like a support, and then tack a couple of those in some spots. But then the cams will probably hit those, Im not sure of the clearances under there.

Id bet theres a decent market for these, I know of 6-7 people that are/were in the same boat as me, Hell you could make these new ones function better than stock and im sure people would buy them..

Good job!

I'm sure Kevin welded his alumnum baffle in place. But the factory baffle is steel, so you wouldn't have that same option with it. I've read where others have used a welder to build up the little "buttons" that protrude through the holes on the baffle. Then with the baffle installed, they mushroomed the aluminum buttons to retain the baffle.

This is the only solution that I can think of other than using a screw-type fastener (which I'm not sure I'd fully trust).

Yea I figured they had to be welded back in.
I just don't have a welder or the know how to do it.
Here is the Valve cover I bought.
I guess I might just have to re sell it.:ohdamn:

Last edited by a moderator:
You "could" use very small rivets to hold it in place. Drill holes, put JB weld in holes, install rivets, then put JB weld on the tops of the rivets. I did this YEARS ago and the VC that has them is still in use with no problems. Is it ideal? No! Is it smart? uuummmm:pray: Did it work on the VC I did. Yep.

Do what you will.

Kevin

I brought mine to a machine shop, and they used a machine to drill and tap where each spot weld was.

After that they put tiny screws in, and i tacked each one to the baffle.

OEM baffle reinstalled, and bulletproof.

I was stuck in the same situation. I just ended up using gravity to run aluminum beads down the inside of the valvecover to where the steel baffle was. With enough heat in some spots I was able to actually get my alum. drip above, and below the steel baffle. So its pinching it in about 16 spots.

Also, I put some blob welds on the existing aluminum rivets to hold the baffle down. No gasket was installed and I havent had any problems. My catch-can catches the same amount of oil it used to, and all my welds looked the same as they did 2000 miles ago.

Yea I figured they had to be welded back in.
I just don't have a welder or the know how to do it.
Here is the Valve cover I bought.
I guess I might just have to re sell it.:ohdamn:

HOLY OVERSPRAY! May I ask where you bought it from? If you don't feel comfortable posting it, just send me a PM.

Kevin, any updates on the redesigned baffle?

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back