The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Help me with my Valve cover baffles!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EclipticalGS

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 25, 2008
walker, Michigan
Well, I took my baffles out to clean some grit underneath them, and Im kind of kicking myself in the ass because what ive tried to do to re-stick this baffle to the VC has not worked.

I have tried to weld a glob (aluminum of course) on top of the little keepers and after I was done, everything looked nice, I grinded them flatter like stock but when i did the hammer test and gave them a tap, 5 out of all ended breaking back off, and I dont feel like having this detonate my motor somehow..soo.

Does anyone have any ideas on a newer baffle design, I am running a catchcan, both my PCV and VC breather to the can, and one line to my intake.

The setup worked perfectly while baffles were in, So I want it to be just as good without too much oil fill up. (used to get about a 1/4 cup every oil change.)

Any ideas anyone? Im open to anything really.

Well, I took my baffles out to clean some grit underneath them, and Im kind of kicking myself in the ass because what ive tried to do to re-stick this baffle to the VC has not worked.

I have tried to weld a glob (aluminum of course) on top of the little keepers and after I was done, everything looked nice, I grinded them flatter like stock but when i did the hammer test and gave them a tap, 5 out of all ended breaking back off, and I dont feel like having this detonate my motor somehow..soo.

Does anyone have any ideas on a newer baffle design, I am running a catchcan, both my PCV and VC breather to the can, and one line to my intake.

The setup worked perfectly while baffles were in, So I want it to be just as good without too much oil fill up. (used to get about a 1/4 cup every oil change.)

Any ideas anyone? Im open to anything really.

I had the same problem. I just gave up and used the old baffle as a template to cut a new one out of a sheet of aluminum. Then I just welded that in place. You can check out the photos here on the One Lap website.

Crankcase Vent Tank | Rochester DSM OneLap

There are a big load of photos at the bottom of the page.

wow thats a great idea. because at least some of that new baffle will help keep oil out of my can..I might try this because i have no problems trusting that. Only thing is you went from stock after that, to two AN side fittings right?? Did your Catchcan fill fast?

Thanks, i appreciate it

wow thats a great idea. because at least some of that new baffle will help keep oil out of my can..I might try this because i have no problems trusting that. Only thing is you went from stock after that, to two AN side fittings right?? Did your Catchcan fill fast?

Thanks, i appreciate it

The catch can I built is huge and it drains back into the block so its maintenance free. If you don't do a lot of road racing or high boost drag racing you could get away with something much smaller.

^I'm wondering, is going all out on a tank like that actually fixing the problem? To me it seems that if you have that much blow-by, you'd still get alot of gasses going through the oil and breaking it down.

Or was it a time constraint thing? Maybe you change the oil often? Just curious.

^I'm wondering, is going all out on a tank like that actually fixing the problem? To me it seems that if you have that much blow-by, you'd still get alot of gasses going through the oil and breaking it down.

Or was it a time constraint thing? Maybe you change the oil often? Just curious.

I offered up a solution to the baffle problem and the catch can came along for the ride. I would not suggest a big custom catch can set-up to fix a baffle problem.

When it comes to blow by you really have to keep things in perspective. Most guys who make some power have there foot to the floor for 11 seconds or less. Road race guys have there foots to the floor for 20 minutes or more. Blow-by, in my case, is not a problem that I can fix but a side effect I have to deal with.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back