The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

ECMlink Tuning problem Misfire

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bandit___01

Proven Member
Apr 6, 2022
Murphysboro, Illinois
I have an issue with my car misfiring, my tuner believes it's a tuning issue among my 1220 FIC low impedence injectors and my MAF however neither of us can figure out what's really going on and we are stumped to all hell about it

Can anyone that knows this stuff help us out? I will get some logs from him and when I get them I will post them in here as a reply

I have an issue with my car misfiring, my tuner believes it's a tuning issue among my 1220 FIC low impedence injectors and my MAF however neither of us can figure out what's really going on and we are stumped to all hell about it

Can anyone that knows this stuff help us out? I will get some logs from him and when I get them I will post them in here as a reply
Need more info.. what MY and mods? When does the misfire occur?

Need more info.. what MY and mods? When does the misfire occur?
It's a 99 GS-T and he did not say when I was speaking to him earlier, he'll probably tell me first thing when he's up. He said the MAF reads fine on ECMLink and all injectors are functioning correctly, he just can't figure out what's going on but swears the problem lies with tuning between the MAF and injectors

Also, mods

Fp 68hta v3 turbo, Fp exhaust manifold, 1g turbo tb, 1220cc FIC Low-Z injectors, walbro 255 pump with rewire, ECMLink v3, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, greddy boost controller, nrg type s bov, front mount intercooler and piping, injen cold air intake

All seals and gaskets were replaced and are brand new as well

Injectors that large that are Low Z have a hard time transitioning from low pulse widths to high pulse widths. There is also an issue when you are running that big of injectors which is the symptom of a Large fuel pump and Large injectors running on factory size fuel lines. My tuner and I went thru some of that a few years back. Just stuff that I have had experiences with.

Injectors that large that are Low Z have a hard time transitioning from low pulse widths to high pulse widths. There is also an issue when you are running that big of injectors which is the symptom of a Large fuel pump and Large injectors running on factory size fuel lines. My tuner and I went thru some of that a few years back. Just stuff that I have had experiences with.
What were things you did to fix it? It runs fine outside of that rpm range, it's just inside that rpm range where it's having the issue it's having

I installed FIC Hi Z 2150's and didn't goof around with anything between 1100 and 1800cc's. I also went with 8AN feed and used the stock feed as a return.

With 2150s at full chat your return is probably sending back nothing more than a runny nose's amount of fuel :p

If you've got link, post one of the logs from a tuning session and we'll see.
Many things can cause misfires, if that's what it is. You need more data than just a dyno pull.. its manners whilst on the street are incredibly helpful as they show lots of state transitions in both directions, but a dyno log is a start.

Last edited:
I would venture to say that it is just a transitional issue in the tune. You can try to tune around it but it won't go completely away. It is the "Low Z" issue. If you ever switch to Hi Z, it will smooth out on its own in the tuning.

I would venture to say that it is just a transitional issue in the tune. You can try to tune around it but it won't go completely away. It is the "Low Z" issue. If you ever switch to Hi Z, it will smooth out on its own in the tuning.
im inclined to say its an even worse problem than just the tune because i now have a blown engine. when it rains it pours man, luck keeps getting worse and all i can do at this point ia f***ing laugh LOL

You want to elaborate?? Helps close the thread too.
Welp, long story short, was going to my buddies house to get my laptop back so I could doc a log to post in here, everything was fine, then all of a sudden heard rattling and squeaking and when I stopped as soon as it started doing that it died and won't start back up, as if it's seized from whatever broke inside the block. Just happened suddenly

Ouch. I was going to say having tuned many 1250cc low impedance cars they can have some quirks but usually could get them good enough. Yes though 2150cc high impedance do better then the old low half the size injectors.

Time for a rebuild! I know it sucks but I think tearing down a motor is just as fun as putting a new one back together LOL. You can pace yourself and just do a standard rebuild with some minor upgrades :thumb:
Oh I agree it's definitely time for a rebuild, happened sooner than I wouldve wanted it to but that's just how things go LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back