1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Tune for creep? 16g problems.

Posted by 93RS, Sep 21, 2019

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. chrysler kid

chrysler kid Proven Member

Joined Dec 20, 2002
    Mckinney, Texas
    To add in .02 cents

The thermal efficiency of a stainless steel 3 inch downpipe is reduced compared to the original smaller downpipe. The aftermarket pieces also lack heat shielding and insulation

Theory of thermal effeciency is that the hottest pieces of the exhaust will eject the cooler exhaust gases faster out of the tail pipe. If your cast iron exhaust manifold and exhaust housing are exposed they are not consistently hot enough to expel the hot combustion gasses quick enough. It doesnt matter how far open you port the 02 housing, if its 120 degrees hotter than your downpipe, the exhaust gasses are going to stay up by the 02 housing and not expelled further down the exhaust.

You can argue the larger downpipes cause creep, however it's because of their expanded diameter that the downpipes stay colder and causes the hottest exhaust gases to concentrate back up to the 02 housing and turbine hot side.

Heat wrap everything and retain your factory heat shielding or use a turbo blanket. They are used to prevent heat from exiting the iron and being the hottest pieces helps them expel the hottest exhaust gasses faster

I also dont like aluminum radiators, I feel they contribute to higher underhood engine temperatures while only offering a negligible coolant effeciency increase that is often just lost because most aftermarket slim fans flow at lesser rates than the original fans. But thats a more controversial opinion and really only applicable to street cars and not race applications that see regular high speed ventilation

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019

2K  15

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · automatic · 2G DSM

2K  12

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

1K  0

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    14.1 @ 97 · 2G DSM
  2. jdub099

jdub099 Supporting VIP

Joined Sep 2, 2019
    Denver, Colorado
    Hotter, higher pressure gasses expand faster into cooler lower pressure areas. Which would actually contribute to creep. If you wrap your manifold and turbine housing, all else being equal, I believe you'd have worse boost creep because you've made the system more efficient and increased the delta across the turbine. People also probably shouldn't look at boost creep as strictly a bad thing. If you had zero boost creep, did some modifications- let's say you got larger cams and added a SMIM- and suddenly had boost creep, you'd know the new parts were working.

pat white likes this.
  3. 93RS

93RS Proven Member

Joined Oct 3, 2011
    Brandon, South Dakota
    I fixed my boosted valve cover mod. Im gonna blame that one on my whiskeyI made a nipple on my intake pipe, and connected the VC to that. I adjusted my wastegate closed, and hooked the WG to the j pipe for now. Most of the go-fast parts, aside from the engine itself came with the car. I don't have a stock downpipe or i would throw that on, so for now drive it nice and save for the fuel system. Thanks for help guys! Your welcome for any laughs i may have provided.

Street Build 161  8

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

793  12

1992 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo
    202 whp · 216.5 lb/ft · 1G DSM
    Vegas smith likes this.
  4. Steve92talon

Steve92talon Proven Member

Joined Jul 3, 2019
    Fernie, BC, Canada
    Yeah I have the Pcv to the intake manifold and the vc vent runs to a nipple on the stock intake boot before the turbo. It's a two way street when u are in vacuum it sucks the vapor into the intake. When u build boost it reverses and the turbo is now sucking the vapors out of the valve cover. Simple and effective :)

5. syndr0me

syndr0me Proven Member

Joined Oct 19, 2011
    Pincourt, QC, Canada
    I had lots of fun with with my big 16g creepin to 30ish psi, holding 25.

Comes on like a freight train.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019