The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Ticking sound in pass front wheel well

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eclipse 1998

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 21, 2010
,, Indiana
So a little history, all referring to passenger front tire, axle, lower control arm (lca) etc. last month I was driving and the lca ball joint snapped off and took the axle with it. So I replaced the axle and lca completely and everything was sound. Well last week I changed the tires and rims, went from 17" to 18". I put new rim caps on it and took the car for a drive just now for about 45 mins or so. I periodically stopped to double check all four tires lugs to make sure they were tight and the caps stayed on. Well about 30 min in as I was checking I noticed the passenger lugs were extremely hot along with the rims center portion, like I couldn't keep my finger on the lugs for more than a second. So I decided to head home, I took a few right turns sharp at 30-35 mph and would hear a clunking noise from the F pass wheel. Well I got the car home and double checked the F pass tire and it was making a ticking sound, you can hear it in the video below. Also I was pressing down on the fender and heard some squeaking, I am guessing struts.

My questions are,

Should I be concerned with this clunking noise?
The excess heat on lugs and rim?

I know everything is tight so I can’t figure out what it could be, any advice off hand that someone would know that is causing this?
Pictures below
Links to video below.

#1 ticking sound from wheel well
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

#2 sound as i press on the fender
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Attachments

• IMG_2190.JPG
    IMG_2190.JPG
    214.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2191.JPG
    IMG_2191.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 38
hard to hear anything over the noise from moving the camera around every 1/2 second.

so the car isnt running, and your not turning or moving anything and your getting a ticking sound?.... Maybe something is stuck in your tire.

Hot lugs? Never heard of that, maybe a bad wheel bearing thats getting hot and transferring to the lugs

hard to hear anything over the noise from moving the camera around every 1/2 second.

so the car isnt running, and your not turning or moving anything and your getting a ticking sound?.... Maybe something is stuck in your tire.

Hot lugs? Never heard of that, maybe a bad wheel bearing thats getting hot and transferring to the lugs

Turn the volume up, it's easy to hear trust me. Car runs and drives fine. and I jerked the wheel hard and there is a clunky noise only on pass side.

I know this sounds weird but I believe my transmission makes a similar sound when the car is turned off. The car has been making this clicking sound during cool down since I owned her, and every component up front has been replaced (motor, exhaust, radiator, etc.) Except the tranny.

Sounds like a heat shield pinging. If you truly feel like its coming from the passenger side. It is possible your passenger brake caliper is sticking causing excessive heat. If you have an infared thermometer. Measure heat on the same part on both sides of the brakes. Maybe choose to measure the heat of a lug nut (or even the brake rotor) on the driver front and passenger front. If the the passenger side is EXCESSIVELY higher. Suspect a sticking caliper.

As far as the squeak when pushing down on the suspension. You need to get a stethoscope and have someone push down on the car while you reach in and listen to different parts of the suspension. Try to isolate where the noise is coming from.

Sounds like a heat shield pinging. If you truly feel like its coming from the passenger side. It is possible your passenger brake caliper is sticking causing excessive heat. If you have an infared thermometer. Measure heat on the same part on both sides of the brakes. Maybe choose to measure the heat of a lug nut (or even the brake rotor) on the driver front and passenger front. If the the passenger side is EXCESSIVELY higher. Suspect a sticking caliper.

As far as the squeak when pushing down on the suspension. You need to get a stethoscope and have someone push down on the car while you reach in and listen to different parts of the suspension. Try to isolate where the noise is coming from.
Thank you very much for a timely response. Ill get a IR thermometer and get temps

That ticking sounds like your heat shield popping when it's cooling down. How tight did you tighten the axle nut!? Maybe it's over torqued and the bearing isn't moving as freely as it should and that's where your heat build up is coming from.

So it turns out the excess heat transfer was due to a bent wheel hub from when the lca and axle incident happend. Had to get car realigned tires balanced and new hub

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back