The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

The Blackout Eclipse (Restoration now/Special 4G AWD Swap later)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okay, so I could just say "things are about to get dicey", however, I'm doing this car as part of my own thing. Parents keep telling me to sell my car, because it looks bad, the thing got damaged. I ain't selling it. I was at first, but then I changed my mind. So, I'm now going to work on rebuilding. As an 18 year old with no work, the budget is very strict. So I'm sorting out to other payment methods such as PayPal or small-time work. Because of personal issues, there's a reason why I won't get to work and let alone in my current household.

Anyway, let's get that out of the way...

A couple of months ago, I picked up my very first car (and my first DSM you see with me) for $500. Paint was messed up, the shifting was bad, the brakes were also kinda bad as they were locked (I would say they were OP). You know, the usual. In New Year's Eve, we decided to give it a spin and my uncle broke the transmission (which was due to break anyway). So now, I'm doing a full-on restoration, and a major upgrade when I get to the States.

IMG_20201215_094209_975.jpg 20210215_143731.jpg IMG_20210211_122100_951.png

I recently got myself an idea to paint the bumper brackets last night, in which I did.

I sanded out the front bumper bracket once I removed it. It would be my first time trying to remove the pre-facelift kit from my car in favor for a more modern and stylish post-facelift kit (which looks more aggressive).

20210228_175919.jpg

Here's how it came afterwards:

Before the clear coat (last night)
20210228_195029.jpg

After the clear coat (just today)
20210301_172358.jpg

It's safe to say that I managed to get this thing done. While the paint job isn't perfect (there's a side with some paint off because of the zip ties LOLLOL), it sure does look a whole lot better than when I took it off, which was looking like it has surface rust/corrosion.

Today, I also bought some new brake pads as I have new discs, one of them fell off a ledge so I have to use the grinder (LOL), but here is the box of fresh new brake pads!
IMG-20210301-WA0001.jpeg IMG-20210301-WA0003.jpeg

Right now, this is what I currently have for this car. The interior needs major fixing and restoration. But for now, these parts will do until I gather more and prepare to restore.

I'm also looking for quality bolts for the car that are anti-corrosive but on a budget (max $20) that can work for the engine bay. This is enough progress for me to put in this thread. I hope this comes back together nicely. :)

Thank you to Drew Peacock's Discord server and a bunch of others on my Instagram, Discord, and TikTok for bringing me motivation again and sparking my heart to work on my DSM! <3

Last edited:
Little update for this: Just got brand new washers for the engine bay, and new door strikers! Straight from China, but it matches the same exact part number that I currently have!

20210327_161221_HDR.jpg

The striker came in so late, I was HEAVY desperate for this to arrive.

Also, I'm laughing at this. My current washers are rusted out, here's an image of the brand new ones.

(Left = Current washer) (Right = New Washer)
20210327_161248_HDR.jpg

So I'm back! DSMTuners was down for the time being so I couldn't update (follow me on Instagram if you want to see more updates). Anyway, here are some updates.

IMG_20210404_162304_855.jpg

On my birthday, I decided to buy some materials. Sweet. I bought liquid rust remover, and universal primer + paint spray cans. With this, I should be able to stop the rust from spreading to the car.

Here are some pictures of the primer since I used the grinder + wire brush attachment but didn't get any pictures.
IMG_20210404_162304_761.jpg

The computer slot has disappeared however I was trying to fix it. Excuse the fact that my old mats were there, I didn't have newspaper LOL.

IMG_20210404_162304_837.jpg

Work has been done and complete on the left strut tower!!

IMG_20210404_162304_843.jpg

And so far I repaired this. I will get to improving the rust removal on this later on. For now, it looks good to me.

Today is painting day! It's sure gonna be a fine day today. Over the week, I bought:

- ATF+4 OEM/MOPAR Transmission Fluid
- Pennzoil Platinum Fully Synthetic SAE 5W-30
- a new Oil Filter, so I can change oil
- New valve cover gasket (I'll be painting the valve cover at some point)
- New timing belt (that's gonna replace the current one it got
- Spray paint, based on the OEM color... Not sure if it's the exact, but if it looks better for me, I'm keeping it.
- a cheap Harris clear coat spray. I know. But it's temporary.
- Sandpaper so I can remove some rust bubbles from my hood.

It's been a few hours. I stripped the roof to bare metal , and I began to prime it. I ran out of primer from the engine bay job, so I might have to re-do the whole paint setup once I go to the paint shop and buy more primer and paint, once I get the call to pick up the new water pump.

20210411_171314_HDR.jpg
20210411_171327_HDR.jpg
20210411_171338_HDR.jpg

No clear coat for now, as I forgot to buy some (whoops, LOL, technically I have some, but it's the Harris brand that I've been wanting to use on my PC but was too lazy), but this paint ain't looking half-bad. This is the first time I paint a car in my entire life, and the first time I used a rattle can to paint the car. The paint I used was Kalapana Black, while it may not be exact as my car, it does look a whole lot better. I may need to re-do the roof as I see some marks. I would fill this up with Bondo, correct? There are no rust spots on the roof, by the way.

Looks like your doing a fine job young man. Taking into account your age , your money situation and this being your first car I think your doin alright . Seeing all that surface rust in your engine bay makes me wonder what the undercarriage might look like. I wish you all the luck in the world on your build.. Hopefully there are others near you in Cidra that could help you . Maybe one day you could have your ride looking like this.. Fortunately for me I was able to start with a totally rust free car I bought for a thousand dollars .I have spent around ten thousand since Dream big brother.. shoot for the stars as they say.. it will all come together for you..one day at a time..

3.png

Looks like your doing a fine job young man. Taking into account your age , your money situation and this being your first car I think your doin alright . Seeing all that surface rust in your engine bay makes me wonder what the undercarriage might look like. I wish you all the luck in the world on your build.. Hopefully there are others near you in Cidra that could help you . Maybe one day you could have your ride looking like this.. Fortunately for me I was able to start with a totally rust free car I bought for a thousand dollars .I have spent around ten thousand since Dream big brother.. shoot for the stars as they say.. it will all come together for you..one day at a time..

View attachment 626746

Thanks man! I've been involved with the car scene since I was 11 years old, started to work on some in '16 and I'm doing my own at 19 years old today! Money's tight unfortunately, but it seems to be the case with me as I don't have a job (Puerto Rico usually has jobs that offer little money), and I really can't be arsed to do one here as again, it pays too little and for over a month? Nah. On top of that, family issues in which are basically bringing me down and are also stealing from my wallet. It's not healthy, and I lost over $400 from the estimated price I would have used to move out.

Anyways, here's some updates for the Eclipse:

Bought the transmission a week ago from Sanford Auto Salvage in Florida (that was the secret location. Sorry, but my transmission was the last one in stock and was reserved for me! I apologize for stealing your chance hahaha ;) ), and I paid one of my uncles to pick it up for me on Saturday after he got the COVID-19 vaccine. Now I've got to wait to see if I can ship it down to PR. Here's how it looks like.

IMG-20210410-WA0003.jpg

I was so happy when they got it. Thank goodness I bought ATF+4 so this car will be up and running in no time. :)

I found the previous owner today. We're pretty good friends (he has a Chevy truck that he built LOL), we're thinking of towing the Eclipse back to his spot so I can have my own time to repair the car when I want to.

So far, I ordered a few new goodies: I ordered a new support rod, a pivot for the rod, the retainer clip, two wiper arm nuts and two wiper caps (the ones I have are rusted out, same with the wiper mechanism), and two lift gate hinges because mine are possibly rusting out, from MitsubishiParts.com. I also ordered two new door hinges so I can replace my current nasty ones, which are possibly contributing to more loud noise. I also ordered new two new liftgate supports as my shock absorbers are wasted, so it makes sense for me to replace mine.

I know people are going to be mad at me, but I also ordered a short throw shifter from eBay (finally, the first aftermarket part I'm gonna put in this car), but to also get the feel of a proper shifting experience, I also ordered the shifter stabilizer bushings from suspension.com. I'm also still waiting for the new water pump from my other local auto parts store, so I can come to the store and pick it up.

Also peeps, I'm also looking for the original high rise spoiler from the GSX/GST. If anyone reading from Puerto Rico, has one for me, let me know if you have one for sale on a budget scale! I don't care if it's cracked, I can fix that myself with some Z-Glue.

Edit: Some of the parts on strikethrough are no longer available on the website. If anyone has a support rod, a support rod pivot, two wiper arm caps and two lift gate hinges, please DM me. I'll even pay for she shipping price.

Last edited:
Got the new polyutherane shifter stabilizer bushings for my new and first aftermarket upgrade (the short throw shifter) for the car!
I could also install this right now, but I have no place on working with the car's interior for now until the previous owner has a spot I can use to install the new part.
20210416_174950.jpg

I'm also looking for a new battery tray, part code MB909351. Mine is currently rusted out and even crumbling. So if any one of you have a battery tray, let me know. :)

Money's tight, and so is my wallet.

I also got a new chest phone strap mount so I can finally record POV videos if I ever wanted to!

I'll take a look for this. The stock rod is not available. Someone called Matt from there told me, and it wasn't available. :/

When I found the stock prop rod it did not say discontinued on their site ..? but if Matt works there he would know better than I...
That's because most of their systems are actually outdated.

msedge_rxBVV6gXWW.png
msedge_46bZTriBdV.png

Not going to lie, that lift kit is pretty interesting. Out of budget for me, but oh well. I'll get it once I save some more cash.

Yesterday, was both devastating and a miracle. What I mean is that I got myself into a little "accident" of a bad driver versus me trying to get out of the parking, I was on an errand to go pick up some stuff for my parents and meet up with the previous owner (as we're both friends haha) to find a place for the car so I can still work on it. This further delayed a lot of the time of the build, considering this car isn't even mine. It's my parent's car. Let's hope insurance covers the damage, otherwise it would delay my build even further if I have to pay for the damages on my parent's car (which is bs, considering they robbed me, so they owe me $900).

20210423_130258.jpg
20210423_130318.jpg

So far, the bumper and fender are alright. Same with the hood. I can't say the same about the front headlight. Then again, I found out that if I was in a head on collision, I would die as this car barely has any crash support. That's right. The Mitsubishi Mirage, the newer models, there is barely any crash support, which is why I was able to bend the front fender back into place.

Anyways... New short throw shifter arrived. This is going to be exciting. No shift knob, however. But that's okay. I can use the one from the Eclipse, which still fits perfectly fine.

20210423_191835.jpg

I made work on it to be done for my current shift knob (which by the way, with these shifters, you can use your OEM shift knob... however I'm replacing mine with something from AMS or somewhere else), I put the bolts in first so I don't have to manually do it when I'm IN the car, which means I'd have to waste more time under the sun.

20210424_151325.jpg
20210424_151332.jpg
20210424_151347.jpg

So far, this feels extremely heavy and that's a good sign of good quality. I'm hoping this will work perfectly with my new polyutherane shifter stabilizer bushings I bought as well.

I took the current support rod and surprisingly, it wasn't too rough. So I took the time to properly restore it. The end result was this.
20210424_152231.jpg
20210424_152219.jpg

Also new support rod retainer clip!

Last edited:
When the weather gets nicer around here I will try to hit up some yards to see if I can find some parts for you that I can ship for cheap flat rate, what are you still looking for? so far there aren't any Dsm's in most of the yards but they come and go, do you need nuts and bolts and small things?

When the weather gets nicer around here I will try to hit up some yards to see if I can find some parts for you that I can ship for cheap flat rate, what are you still looking for? so far there aren't any Dsm's in most of the yards but they come and go, do you need nuts and bolts and small things?

There's a few parts I may need. At this current time, I do not have money but I will contact you if I can pay for it. I need the battery tray (part number mb909351), and two of the wiper arm caps (part number mr109849).

I wouldn't expect you to pay for them, I would take care of it.
Ah, okay! Hit me up sometime when you get the parts!

How kind of you @motomattx to offer to fix this fellow up with some parts.. DSM brotherhood is awesome.. :thumb::thumb::thumb:
Everyone in this site is so awesome. Especially most of my friends and followers on Instagram. The DSM brotherhood is extremely awesome, and give out a nice vibe compared to most of the Puertoricans on our island which always are serious or stubborn at times ROFL

There was a guy that I was gonna buy a Mirage from, but I held off from it and decided to buy the Eclipse instead. It would just futureproof my plans and parts in the US are extremely CHEAP there. :)

So far, one kid wanted to buy my car off and my parents were angry that I didn't sell it. Luckily, we both exchanged numbers and so far he seems to be involved with some kind of DSM group over here in Puerto Rico. So there might be parts I can get both locally and from the other parts of the world!

I got so far the wiper arm nuts and the rest of the parts I needed for the high rise spoiler (the spoiler assembly grommet and the two bolts, not the spoiler center gaskets sadly). I have no picture of them because my phone basically has no battery (I got a new charger arriving today, thankfully).

I have yet to find the following parts: mr752017 and mr752015, mb881985 and mb881986, mr155925 and mr155926, mr155929, mb909351 as well.

But this is slowly making the car almost restored!

As for door card purposes, I need to also find mr717554, mr752017, mr717557 and mr752015 since mine are kinda broken (or I could have some custom made by two friends of mine)

I hear you on your dream of restoring your car. I'm on that journey too and it can be very hard to find parts. Of everything on your list, I was only able to source one new old stock part for you...
  • MR752017: Mopar Parts Giant is showing it in stock. A local Chrysler dealer may also be able to get it?
  • MB881985 & MB881986: Keep your eyes on the classifieds, I just bought a set there in the last month.
  • MR155925 & MR155926: very very hard to find OEM! They seem to be pretty fragile. I bought one from a part out in the classifieds last year. They do turn up at auto recyclers from time to time, but it seems like they are usually broken.
  • MR155929 - I have bought a few of these and they were all disintegrated and unusable. The parts bags were full of dust, essentially. If you find a source that has any intact let me know please? 😅
  • MB909351 - this one you may need to find in a part out, or maybe you can get one from an auto recycler?
Best of luck man, I hope you find everything on your list!

I hear you on your dream of restoring your car. I'm on that journey too and it can be very hard to find parts. Of everything on your list, I was only able to source one new old stock part for you...
  • MR752017: Mopar Parts Giant is showing it in stock. A local Chrysler dealer may also be able to get it?
  • MB881985 & MB881986: Keep your eyes on the classifieds, I just bought a set there in the last month.
  • MR155925 & MR155926: very very hard to find OEM! They seem to be pretty fragile. I bought one from a part out in the classifieds last year. They do turn up at auto recyclers from time to time, but it seems like they are usually broken.
  • MR155929 - I have bought a few of these and they were all disintegrated and unusable. The parts bags were full of dust, essentially. If you find a source that has any intact let me know please? 😅
  • MB909351 - this one you may need to find in a part out, or maybe you can get one from an auto recycler?
Best of luck man, I hope you find everything on your list!
Thanks dude!

So, I went to work with the Eclipse yesterday, I managed to remove the plastic pieces from the car. I'm surprised my bolts are rusted out. If anyone got bolts for this, let me know. I'm willing to buy brand new ones.

20210522_183759.jpg

Excuse the fact I have block parts around me + an Integra DC2 hatch door, I am selling some of these (engine parts from a Mirage, bahaha)

20210522_183807.jpg

20210522_183811.jpg

Interestingly, when I checked the left side, yup, there was something weird.

20210522_183823.jpg

20210522_183829.jpg

Can you see this, right?

20210522_183840.jpg

This is a mild case of surface rust. I'd have to sandblast the whole under-chassis. Not sure how I would do this, but it would be fun.

Next stop, removing the front bumper for the gear puller and removing the valve cover so I can repaint it! The paint is chipping off, so I might as well start tomorrow. It's getting late out and I overslept LOL

Here are some updates.

So, I decided to take out the valve cover (something I've been doing for 4 days but considering my car has never been opened since 2012... Well... Yeah.

View attachment 630377

I was able to remove it easily. Underneath, there was caked oil everywhere. I went to my local parts store (by local, I mean it's literally in front of my house LOL) and bought a bottle of CRYSTAL cleaner and degreaser.

View attachment 630376 The results came in later on to... View attachment 630375

I'm very happy with the results! However, the valve cover needs some paint to be removed.

However, there were a few issues I encountered. Stripping the paint without paint thinner or gasoline is just difficult as I'm attempting to use steel wool. Another issue is that I believe I broke a part, however, is this a static signal reducer for an OEM car stereo? View attachment 630378 (Cheeky sandals, duh)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back