The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Strange noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brettmclayto

5+ Year Contributor
Feb 27, 2018
Granite city, Illinois
I’m going to make this a short and sweet as possible. I have this noise in the front passenger side that I’m having trouble tracking down.

Its a raddle, or even possibly a grinding noise I hear. It only happens under acceleration. If I drive the car easy no noise. Easy up a hill no noise. Soon as I lay on the throttle coming out of 1st or 2nd I can hear it. Soon as I let off the throttle it goes away.

If I let go of the clutch too fast and the car lunges forward that noise happens. This is very hard to explain.

Last edited:
Could be knock or detonation, I wouldnt let it make that sound anymore because no matter what it is if its not normal then its damaging something anytime its making it, it could even be a bad motor or trans mount grounding out against the frame.

Also this gst is stock if anyone knows please let me know ASAP. I’m going to drain the tranny this coming weekend and replace it. Any suggestions on what I should put in it? Price is not an issue.

This one will be hard to diagnose over the inter webs. It’s load related so it could be in the drivetrain. Could also be noise from the turbo. Check for shaft play.

They say not to run the car with it off the ground but that might be what you’d have to do to find the noise.

This one will be hard to diagnose over the inter webs. It’s load related so it could be in the drivetrain. Could also be noise from the turbo. Check for shaft play.

They say not to run the car with it off the ground but that might be what you’d have to do to find the noise.
What’s your thoughts on a loose exhaust?

What’s your thoughts on a loose exhaust?

Maybe. If you haven’t check for exhaust leaks, you should do it regardless. Idk if you’re running a wideband but you don’t want leaks before the wb and certainly not around the turbo.

Maybe. If you haven’t check for exhaust leaks, you should do it regardless. Idk if you’re running a wideband but you don’t want leaks before the wb and certainly not around the turbo.
This this is completely stock besides the internals. Stock turbo, stock exhaust

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back