The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Strange Howling Noise Under Boost

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigmac88

Probationary Member
Mar 3, 2009
805, California
Last night I installed a Forge Performance adjustable BOV (recirculating) on my TSi AWD. It's base spring is 7 lbs.

A friend and myself were doing some pulls on an empty street so we could figure out the best adjustment for the BOV. Shortly after we got it dialed in, the car started making an awful "howling" noise under boost. No loss of boost, just the strange noise.

I checked for any leaks, including all FMIC piping. I didn't find any. I reset the BOV to full soft, same noise.

Anyone have ideas? I haven't checked for shaft play yet. I'm praying that's not the culprit :(

Only other mod is an eBay FMIC that came with the car. Everything else is stock.

Last night I installed a Forge Performance adjustable BOV (recirculating) on my TSi AWD. It's base spring is 7 lbs.

A friend and myself were doing some pulls on an empty street so we could figure out the best adjustment for the BOV. Shortly after we got it dialed in, the car started making an awful "howling" noise under boost. No loss of boost, just the strange noise.

I checked for any leaks, including all FMIC piping. I didn't find any. I reset the BOV to full soft, same noise.

Anyone have ideas? I haven't checked for shaft play yet. I'm praying that's not the culprit :(

Only other mod is an eBay FMIC that came with the car. Everything else is stock.

What part of the 805 you live in? You checked all the vacuum lines? How loud is it?

What part of the 805 you live in? You checked all the vacuum lines? How loud is it?

I live in Thousand Oaks, south of Santa Maria/SB/Ventura. All the lines looked good last night. I'm going to go check all the vacuum and BOV lines again, as well as check for shaft play in about 30 min.

The sounds is pretty loud; it's audible over the motor.

And for reference we did 5 or 6 pulls before the car started making this noise.

I live in Thousand Oaks, south of Santa Maria/SB/Ventura. All the lines looked good last night. I'm going to go check all the vacuum and BOV lines again, as well as check for shaft play in about 30 min.

The sounds is pretty loud; it's audible over the motor.

And for reference we did 5 or 6 pulls before the car started making this noise.

Did you check all the pullys etc? And the car still runs exactly the same?

Did you check all the pullys etc? And the car still runs exactly the same?

Car runs the same. Pulleys look good, turbo has no shaft play and spins freely. I searched all over for a leak and couldn't find one. I re-adjusted most of the clamps pertaining to the turbo system. I'm going to go take it to get some gas and see if it still makes the noise.

Thanks for the help :D

Car runs the same. Pulleys look good, turbo has no shaft play and spins freely. I searched all over for a leak and couldn't find one. I re-adjusted most of the clamps pertaining to the turbo system. I'm going to go take it to get some gas and see if it still makes the noise.

Thanks for the help :D

mine made like a howling noise/ hissing/ whistling noise too..i checked everything and did BLT and it was all good, till right before i close my hood i noticed some of my exhaust manifold bolts were loose, tightend those and it went away..maybe ## case

OK now the damn thing won't start. It cranks and sputters, picks up a few hundred RPM's then dies. :cry:

And yes, it has gas.

mine made like a howling noise/ hissing/ whistling noise too..i checked everything and did BLT and it was all good, till right before i close my hood i noticed some of my exhaust manifold bolts were loose, tightend those and it went away..maybe ## case

Quite possibly. Last night I heard a bit of an exhaust leak. Doesn't explain the not starting today though :aha:

When u checked for leaks did u do a BLT or just visual? If visual I would do a blt.

Took it to a shop where I used to work. Looks like there's major bottom end damage. Possibly balance shaft related according to my former boss. It starts up but sounds like a spun bearing, although I haven't had a chance to dissect it completely and find the true problem. Time for a new motor >:{

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back