The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Spyder starter wont engage the flywheel

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Novakane2020

Probationary Member
Dec 31, 2020
Huntington, Indiana
ok so i snapped 2 flywheel bolts off in the crank. that problem got fixed, i put the tranny (out of a 97 Gsx 5 speed) back in and the started wont engage the flywheel. Not really trying too have to drop the tranny again. Any thing i should look into before doing all that work?

I also have a center cross member bolt that snapped off in the frame, so i have no threads left in one hole. any suggestions?

thanks in advance yall!

Last edited by a moderator:
So you're putting an AWD trans into a FWD car? Your starter will never fit that way. AWD and FWD have different starters due to the AWD flywheel being a little smaller.

Which crossmember are you talking about? The one that bolts to the front subframe and the radiator core support that has the front roll-stop mounted to it?

the transmission has been in the 97 spyder since I bought back in 2016, didn't have any problems until now. The actual crossmember that supports the tranny, and mount so the front frame under the radiator.

the transmission has been in the 97 spyder since I bought back in 2016, didn't have any problems until now.

So was the car converted to AWD then?

The actual crossmember that supports the tranny, and mount so the front frame under the radiator.

Just use the one bolt for now. Try to get the broken one out with an extractor.

So the question really, is HOW are you running an AWD trans without the rest of the drivetrain? Does it have a welded diff and the previous owner never said anything?
The previous owner never mentioned the swap or anything, untill i ran into this trouble.ill get some pic up here when i get off work today. all i know for sure is i went to replace cv axels, and the ones for the Spyder Gs were on 25 splines. and the gsx cv axels have 27 splines. so i put those in and they fit like the old ones.

Yeah, I had my GSX for 3 months before I garaged it for rod knock. Now 4 years later it's still on jack stands, but going full race mode.
hell yea man i love the gsx body lines but i cant get enough of the soft top from my spyder. tranny is almost out boys then ill be uploading pictures and videos, im sure that you guys are all as antsy as i tooo find out WTF is going on under my hood.

Alright the tyranny is out. I'll put pics of the tyranny up in my profile. Is this the starter plate? Can I just remove it?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

alright yall, so the flywheel that i bought as an oe replacement for the 97 spyder gs 2.4, only has 106 teeth vs. the flywheel that was in the car when i bought it has 110. any one knnow where the difference is coming from and where i can get my hands on a 110 tooth flywheel? Thank you all in advance. Yall hav been a life saver thus far, and i appreciate any and all advice.

Why can't you use the flywheel that came with your car?

The AWD flywheel has 106 teeth. The FWD has 110 teeth. If you were trying to use the AWD flywheel with a FWD transmission, it would not engage. If it is truly an AWD transmission, there's something else strange going on.

That's a FWD turbo transmission. So the reason it wasn't engaging is because the AWD flywheel is a smaller diameter than the FWD. Hence the different number of teeth.

Get a turbo FWD flywheel and you'll be good to go. Still never told us why you couldn't have reused the original, but at least now you know what direction you need to go.

Thanks again yall, when the 2 flywheel bolts snapped. They dug out a groove in the old flywheel, I literally was thinking about setting 2 washers in the grooves and then re surfacing it. I'll put a Pic up asap

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back