The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

General Speeduino standalone

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harrison Scholten

Proven Member
Apr 3, 2020
Red deer, AB_Canada
I was wondering if anyone has any info about the speeduino/arduino standalone ECU and tuner studio software. Specifically how user friendly the software is, how hands on the ECU installation is.

Does the board require assembly or come with a harness that can be soldered to the factory wiring?
Is there other sensors required aside from a wideband?
Can it be used with a GM MAF?

Any info would be helpful.

I don’t know about the speedunio, but I use tunerstudio with my megasquirt setup and love it. EFI analytics does a great job supporting the community and updating the software based on customer demands.

A lot of us are running raspberry pi dash boards and they added a ton of functionality in support of it. For example the pi4 can run 2 displays so they added that functionality.

Here’s my Pi4 setup with dual screens running tunerstudio. Waiting for an 8” screen to show up for the radio area.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve used speeduino but it was only on a Honda gx160. It was pretty impressive honestly but I don’t know how intuitive it would be communicating with dsm sensors or with a large amount of data. I don’t recall too much about it since it’s been a few years but it was easy to use and pretty solid compared to other small-frame standalones we had used in the past.

Here’s my Pi4 setup with dual screens running tunerstudio. Waiting for an 8” screen to show up for the radio area.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
That looks space age, now I'm jealous. Ive heard some good things about tunerstudio particularly in the miata world and I know its decoded for 4g63. Mainly I need tuning software that isnt going to run me the price of the car. Never heard of megasquirt but I'll look into it.

Sorry I said tuning software, I meant a stand alone ecu. Dsmlink just is out of reach budget wise

Something slightly misleading about that video (besides the fact that he's comparing a piggyback and a standalone which is apples to oranges) is do not confuse Megasquirt and Speeduino they are not the same thing. They are 2 different pieces of hardware that use different firmware but are programmable by the same piece of software. Simple example you can connect an iPhone 11 and an iPhone 4 to the iTunes software on your PC and put the same songs and apps on each of them it doesn't mean they perform the same.

Speeduino is based around an Arduino development board which is similar to a Raspberry Pi. They are both micro computers but the key difference is the Pi is setup like a PC to be used with a Linux operating system and all the things that go along with that (built in USB ports, display, internet connection) so generally I use them mostly for communication and display jobs like you see in the dash setup posted above.

The Arduino is much more bare bones and out of the box they have single core processors designed to run one operating loop with lots of inputs and outputs makes them great for inputting sensors and driving outputs like you would need to run an engine. I use Arduino's and Pi's daily for all kinds of prototyping projects they IMO are the best thing to happen for Mechatronics in the last couple of decades. I use them in my house to run my pool pump control, monitor my electricity usage all kinds of things.

Now Megasquirt & Tunerstudio were developed together somewhat open sourced as the first alternative to high priced engine management like AEM, FAST, etc. Megasquirt ECU's were purpose designed and use a dual core processor and a circuit board with all the proper driving circuits to run coils, input sensors, etc. But they've gotten big for their britches and lost sight of their original market of people looking to go fast on the cheap. A new MS3 assembled will run you $645

Where Speeduino came from is someone built a similar circuit board with the I/O channels setup and you plug on the Arduino as the processor which actually is the easy part. Then the harder part was someone wrote firmware code to mimic the Megasquirt's firmware and run the car. The reason to copy megasquirts implementation was to be able to use the hardest thing to replicate which is the PC interface application TunerStudio.

So there you have it. Speeduino is an opensource copy of Megasquirt Standalone HARDWARE and uses the same tuning software. And it works great for someone looking to get up and going on the cheap. Best thing about it I think is it gets you used to Tunerstudio and tuning with it and you can step up to a real megasquirt later on if/when you want the additional features and processing power it offers.

Something slightly misleading about that video (besides the fact that he's comparing a piggyback and a standalone which is apples to oranges) is do not confuse Megasquirt and Speeduino they are not the same thing.
Thank you that was very helpful. Now I just need to buy a new board as mine was stolen

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back