The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

"Spec" clutches?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my spec stage2 is doing great. havent launched it but its seems to grabs good. pedal pressure is lighter then a 2600 but it is a bit grabby when it engages. not bad it just takes some getting used to so everytime my car is down for awhile i forget and stall it out the first time i go to move it again LOL.

I'm digging this thread up to get some more feedback from those that installed Spec clutches last year. Now that they should be broken in, have any of you started launching with them (or stressed them in any other way)? I ask because I'm trying to decide between the ACT 2600 and a Spec Stage 2+. I'm interested in the lighter pedal pressure of the Spec clutches, but if they can't hold up to launches then I would be better off with the ACT.

Any updates from those with the slipping Specs? Any updates from anyone? Please include an estimate of the power you are putting down as well, and how many launches and/or miles you have on the clutch. However, having 10,000 miles of daily driving to the grocery store or work isn't a good test of this clutch's durability. I'm looking for 1/4 mile and autocross people who have used Spec clutches. How are they holding up?

As I have said, I did not like mine.
I had 50 miles on the first one when I was told it would not disengage by a shop that rebuilt my tranny (although my opinion of that shop is not verry high because they never fixed my tranny), so I gave them another one to replace it with while the tranny was out.
That one lasted about 600 miles, I had just finished my break in and did one launch when it started slipping, that was a 4500rpm launch. That same week the spring popped out on the Presure Plate and I was almost stranded on the freeway.
I have replaced it with an ACT 2600 and have a few thousand miles on that now, including a trip to the track with 10 or so passes. It is holding up great. The pedal presure is more than the spec, but not too bad at all.
As far as power on my car, I do not know the exact because I have not dyno'd, but I ran a 13.1 and trap around 105mph... I would guess somewhere around 275-300whp, but that's a rough guess.

JB

I use a SPEC 2+ and I enjoy it. Chatters a bit at first until its FULLY broken in, but otherwise is a great clutch.
I've yet ot launch on it though (drivetrain issues) so I don't wanna risk breaking anything at this point to test how well it grabbs under those conditions.
But really, my stock clutch let me sidestep a couple of times at around 5500rpm before it broke, so I'm fairly confident that this clutch will allow me to do the same only without the breaking part I hope!

PieEyedPiper said:
I've yet ot launch on it though (drivetrain issues) so I don't wanna risk breaking anything at this point to test how well it grabbs under those conditions.
But really, my stock clutch let me sidestep a couple of times at around 5500rpm before it broke, so I'm fairly confident that this clutch will allow me to do the same only without the breaking part I hope!
We won't know until you try it though. The Spec Stage 2+ is rated to 400 ft/lbs of torque. If your profile is accurate, you shouldn't be close to maxing this clutch out. When you are ready to test its durability, let us know how it goes. A suggestion: don't sidestep. That's not good for anything. Many drivetrain parts can be broken by doing that. Especially with an aftermarket clutch/pressure plate.

If you haven't "romped" on the Spec clutch, how can you know if it is great? A "great" clutch will hold it's rated torque after many hard launches ("many" meaning at least 50). The ACT 2600 falls into this category, with many people putting almost 100 hard launches on it before it starts to slip (pedal pressure isn't as important as reliability/durability in my book). If a great clutch just meant a clutch that can hold "stock like" power without any launches (the conditions a clutch should face during break-in), we could then consider the stock clutch to be great. I'm not trying to be mean PieEyedPiper; it's just that you haven't actually tested this clutch out yet, so calling it "great" is a bit premature.

Basically, I'm looking for people who have exposed their Spec clutches to the same abuse that ACT 2600 clutches have been proven to withstand. After all, this is supposed to be an "ACT 2600 alternative".

I'm on an ACT 2600 because spec gave me nothing but hell. After two slipped springs and an imporperly manufactured disk I am through with spec. I have friends who have used them with great success, but I personally will never again buy one of their products.

I_eat_DSM's said:
I'm on an ACT 2600 because spec gave me nothing but hell. After two slipped springs and an imporperly manufactured disk I am through with spec. I have friends who have used them with great success, but I personally will never again buy one of their products.
Do you have any information on your friends' setups? Which "stage" clutch, how much power, and the number of launches/miles on the clutch? Are any of them putting their Specs through the conditions that an ACT 2600 has been able to survive?

I figure I should update on my spec clutch since the thread has been brought back to life... I so far really like this clutch... it was great to go from an extremely worn stock clutch to the spec stage-II clutch... It grabs great and I still have issues of stalling sometimes if I'm not paying attention... I also think I need to adjust my clutch pedal because it doesnt engage till the pedal is almost let all the way out... which is extremely different than my Mr2 turbo... but overall I'm still very happy with this clutch and would recommend it till everyone...!!!!!

Jester

UVaJester said:
I figure I should update on my spec clutch since the thread has been brought back to life... I so far really like this clutch... it was great to go from an extremely worn stock clutch to the spec stage-II clutch... It grabs great and I still have issues of stalling sometimes if I'm not paying attention... I also think I need to adjust my clutch pedal because it doesnt engage till the pedal is almost let all the way out... which is extremely different than my Mr2 turbo... but overall I'm still very happy with this clutch and would recommend it till everyone...!!!!!

Jester
How many miles have you put on the clutch? Any launches and/or spirited driving?

Well for my n/a with a stage 2 the last couple of years have been great. It's actually more than that I think. It still grabs and engages hard. Does not like to be babied, and my only complaint is the chattering. But it works :thumb:

Hmm lets see i guess i can chime in here as well. I got a Spec Clutch Stage 3 from Martin last year. Clutch was great chattered a little bit at first after break in it was fine. Once i started to tune up the boost however i found out that the clutch was slipping and there was no way i was making 415ft/lbs. Needless to say i was pretty pist because i had broke an act street disc before that so i switched to Spec. I tried switching to the smaller 1g clutch slave and it didn't work. I had about 1,000 miles or so already on the clutch. Called Spec up and i was shit out of luck because the warranty had run out. So i took down the trans and inspected everything. Pressure plate looked brand new same as the 6 puck sprung disc. So i compared the Act 2600 pressure plate i had to the spec pressure plate and voila i found out the problem. The damn fingers on the spec pressure were not thick enough like the 2600. So i was pretty pist about that finding out that this pp was not clamping down like it was supposed to. I have pics as well. Anyway i ended up bolting the act 2600 pressure plate back on with the spec 6 puck disc. It took about 3-400 miles of break in but the clutch feels great and theres no slipping. All in all i'll say that the clutch discs they sell are nice however i would make sure to check those pressure plates.

Yeah, that's something that seems off with these Spec clutches. How can they hold twice as much torque as the stock clutch while retaining the same light pedal pressure? It just doesn't seem possible.

The Stage 2 is working for rspro, but he's on a stock N/A motor (according to his profile). That means that he's making around 130 ft/lbs of torque, and it's being held by a clutch that is rated for 350 ft/lbs. Not exactly a good test of the clutches holding abilities. :p I'm sure any N/A guys that come through here will appreciate the info though.

larsrya8 said:
We won't know until you try it though. The Spec Stage 2+ is rated to 400 ft/lbs of torque. If your profile is accurate, you shouldn't be close to maxing this clutch out. When you are ready to test its durability, let us know how it goes. A suggestion: don't sidestep. That's not good for anything. Many drivetrain parts can be broken by doing that. Especially with an aftermarket clutch/pressure plate.

If you haven't "romped" on the Spec clutch, how can you know if it is great? A "great" clutch will hold it's rated torque after many hard launches ("many" meaning at least 50). The ACT 2600 falls into this category, with many people putting almost 100 hard launches on it before it starts to slip (pedal pressure isn't as important as reliability/durability in my book). If a great clutch just meant a clutch that can hold "stock like" power without any launches (the conditions a clutch should face during break-in), we could then consider the stock clutch to be great. I'm not trying to be mean PieEyedPiper; it's just that you haven't actually tested this clutch out yet, so calling it "great" is a bit premature.

Basically, I'm looking for people who have exposed their Spec clutches to the same abuse that ACT 2600 clutches have been proven to withstand. After all, this is supposed to be an "ACT 2600 alternative".

Fair statments I suppose, but for my application (daily driver making less than 250hp) it works great. Also gives me some breathing room. I gave you my quick little review and INCLUDED the fact that I have not launched the car yet. Sounds like a fairly complete asessment to me. Take it for whats its worth.
Happy tunning.

spec stage 3 here on a fidanza flywheel. i have about 6000 miles on the setup. i dont race the car but i do beat the piss out of it daily. chatters bad if you are nice to it so just tool on it. grabs really hard so im afraid if i hard launch it the diff will blow apart. i soft launch it at 7000rpm's on the regular with 0 slippage once it is fully released or when i shift hard into second. pedal still as light as stock!

PieEyedPiper said:
Fair statments I suppose, but for my application (daily driver making less than 250hp) it works great. Also gives me some breathing room. I gave you my quick little review and INCLUDED the fact that I have not launched the car yet. Sounds like a fairly complete asessment to me. Take it for whats its worth.
Happy tunning.
What I'm trying to determine is if your Spec clutch is actually giving you breathing room, or if it will start slipping if you start putting down any more power. The point I am trying (politely) to make is that the Stage 2+ was not designed for cars making less than 250HP. Its torque rating of 400 ft/lbs implies that it is designed for those making close to twice that much power. What worries me is that while using the Spec pressure plate, some cars that aren't making that much power are having this clutch slip on them. RavenX solved his slipping problem by putting the ACT 2600 pressure plate back on, but for those who are buying a Spec clutch for the lighter pedal pressure, this completely defeats the purpose. Sure, my pedal is just like stock, but when I try to put down big power I find that this clutch also can only hold as much torque as the stock clutch could.

So, I'm trying to find people that are making the big" power (think 350-400HP) that these clutches were designed to hold, and get some feedback letting us know whether or not the clutch is actually holding it. So far, I've gotten some negative feedback that is consistent with what I already heard about Spec clutches. The positive feedback I've received so far has either been too vague or is from people who haven't thoroughly tested out the clutch, whether it be because they aren't making enough power to do so, or they haven't launched it or gone WOT.

I guess some feedback is better than nothing, but if you want to be helpful it would be great if only those who have subjected their Spec clutches to similar conditions that the ACT 2600 has survived would post feedback. In my original post I mentioned that I was trying to decide between the 2600 and the Stage 2+. I can't make a very informed decision if all the positive feedback comes from those making considerably less power than their Spec clutch was designed to hold and/or haven't driven their car hard with the Spec yet. I'm not trying to be mean, but posting that a Spec 2+ is holding "stock like power" on a turbo and N/A DSM isn't helpful if I'm looking at holding the maximum power I can get out of my Evo3 16G, which is well above stock.

So, PieEyedPiper, you only showed that your Stage 2+ can hold the same power the stock clutch can. That is not a complete assessment of the clutch. It's a complete assessment of your use of the clutch, but most people in the market for a Stage 2+ aren't putting down less than 250HP; they're looking at putting down power that is much closer to this clutch's max torque rating. I want to know if this clutch is perfect for their application, not a "stock" one.

spaceball said:
spec stage 3 here on a fidanza flywheel. i have about 6000 miles on the setup. i dont race the car but i do beat the piss out of it daily. chatters bad if you are nice to it so just tool on it. grabs really hard so im afraid if i hard launch it the diff will blow apart. i soft launch it at 7000rpm's on the regular with 0 slippage once it is fully released or when i shift hard into second. pedal still as light as stock!
How many of those 7K launches have you put on it? Also, is your profile up-to-date?

What does "beat the piss out it daily" mean? Launching from every stop light? :p

Well i have 8000-10000 miles on the Spec stage 3 6 puck and Spec flywheel. The clutch has started to slip like no other. While brake boosting the clutch will hold for about 30 seconds and then slip and when shifting into every gear will slip to 6700 and catch after about 15 seconds. I have done numorous launches on a two step at 4500, 5000, 5500.

I was very impressed with spec when first using them. The pedal pressure was light and the more the slip on a launch the more it grabbed. But now i am getting nothing but slippage.

Also on a side note...the spec flywheel did not hold up either. About 3 months ago the starter ring came loose. I had the the bolts re-tighted when the tranny was out and the problem went away for a day or so. But now the ring is very loose and rattles extremely bad. Also on occasion the car will not start untill the ring catches.

I think with the new tranny i will have to try another company....maybe exedy.:(

larsrya8 said:
What I'm trying to determine is if your Spec clutch is actually giving you breathing room, or if it will start slipping if you start putting down any more power.
I guarantee this clutch gives me breathing room. Why? It's rated for 400ft/lbs. Just like you said. We don't need spock to show us the logic being used there.
larsrya8 said:
What worries me is that while using the Spec pressure plate, some cars that aren't making that much power are having this clutch slip on them.
Show me a single clutch company that hasn't experienced a similar issue. Depends on so many variables.
larsrya8 said:
So, I'm trying to find people that are making the big" power (think 350-400HP) that these clutches were designed to hold, and get some feedback letting us know whether or not the clutch is actually holding it. So far, I've gotten some negative feedback that is consistent with what I already heard about Spec clutches. The positive feedback I've received so far has either been too vague or is from people who haven't thoroughly tested out the clutch, whether it be because they aren't making enough power to do so, or they haven't launched it or gone WOT.
Your point being? These clucthes are pretty damn new to the market and there are very few people who have fully tested them. I think I'm probably the first person on tuners to get one. So really, you should be taking any info you can get about these clutches and add it to your "consideration pool" - INSTEAD of just tearing apart posts that were made in 30seconds in an attempt to give you all the information I have. And to be honest no one here, except Martin from the speed factor, knows better than I do. So like I said. Take it for what it's worth. You badger me becuase I haven't launched my car and because I don't make big power on this clutch yet? Get something better to do my friend (politely). This is the information available. If you find more, great. But this is what it is so stop complaining about my personal usage of my belongings.
larsrya8 said:
I guess some feedback is better than nothing, but if you want to be helpful it would be great if only those who have subjected their Spec clutches to similar conditions that the ACT 2600 has survived would post feedback.
You're absolutely right its better than nothing. Cause without it all you'd have is nothing. If I want to be helpful only people with some launches on they're Stage 2+ should post feedback? Unfortunately nothing I do has an impact on what people post here. And lets stay reminded that I'm possibley the only Stage2+ owner on the board and any information I can provide you with should be welcomed rather than shunned for being too softcore for you.
larsrya8 said:
In my original post I mentioned that I was trying to decide between the 2600 and the Stage 2+. I can't make a very informed decision if all the positive feedback comes from those making considerably less power than their Spec clutch was designed to hold and/or haven't driven their car hard with the Spec yet. I'm not trying to be mean, but posting that a Spec 2+ is holding "stock like power" on a turbo and N/A DSM isn't helpful if I'm looking at holding the maximum power I can get out of my Evo3 16G, which is well above stock.
Don't get me wrong, I fully understand where you're coming from. I just feel you're picking apart something that is really not worth the time cause there is no other data out yet. You're gonna have to stop being so picky and just deal with what you have. Of course you can't make a very informed decision about which clutch to get based on the only data we have available! You're just gonna have to do the best you can. I based my decision off of reviews of other products and advice from Martin at the speed factor. If a spring comes flying out of my clutch or it starts slipping is that my fault? is that his fault? No. It happens. Worried your Spec 2+ will slip? aren't you worried about your 2600 slipping or loosing a spring? Happens all the time. Theres no way to really tell. It's like wondering if you're gonna get Crankwalk.
Oh, and posting that my Stage 2+ is holding stock like power and that engagment is nice, pedal is perfect and posting info about chatter isn't helpful at all? Thats unfortunate. I wouldn't have wasted any of my time to give you all the information I have on the subject. I'm sorry you're not finding what you're looking for.
larsrya8 said:
So, PieEyedPiper, you only showed that your Stage 2+ can hold the same power the stock clutch can. That is not a complete assessment of the clutch. It's a complete assessment of your use of the clutch, but most people in the market for a Stage 2+ aren't putting down less than 250HP; they're looking at putting down power that is much closer to this clutch's max torque rating. I want to know if this clutch is perfect for their application, not a "stock" one.
I explained in a previous post that that was a complete assessment of MY USAGE of the clutch. In no way, shape or form did I try to mislead you by telling you its a launching warrior or anything of the sort. Cause That would be a lie. I have no idea if it's going to be a hardcore strip clutch. But I do have the experience of using it for my current application and that it works well for that and I hope to soon test it's limits with a turbo upgrade. I don't care what you want to know about this clutch - but DO NOT argue with me about the information I provided or what I should have or should not have provided. It is what it is and you are wrong to argue it in any direction.

Got something more to say? take it to PM's.

james13 said:
Well i have 8000-10000 miles on the Spec stage 3 6 puck and Spec flywheel. The clutch has started to slip like no other. While brake boosting the clutch will hold for about 30 seconds and then slip and when shifting into every gear will slip to 6700 and catch after about 15 seconds. I have done numorous launches on a two step at 4500, 5000, 5500.

I was very impressed with spec when first using them. The pedal pressure was light and the more the slip on a launch the more it grabbed. But now i am getting nothing but slippage.

Also on a side note...the spec flywheel did not hold up either. About 3 months ago the starter ring came loose. I had the the bolts re-tighted when the tranny was out and the problem went away for a day or so. But now the ring is very loose and rattles extremely bad. Also on occasion the car will not start untill the ring catches.

I think with the new tranny i will have to try another company....maybe exedy.:(

The problem is not the 6 puck clutch disc it's that damn shitty ass pressure plate. I was barely making 350whp and the clutch would not hold at all, it happened alot on the highway. Just switch to another pressure plate like the act 2600 and you will be fine.

RavenX said:
The problem is not the 6 puck clutch disc it's that damn shitty ass pressure plate. I was barely making 350whp and the clutch would not hold at all, it happened alot on the highway. Just switch to another pressure plate like the act 2600 and you will be fine.

when yours was slipping how did the pads on the disk look?

how is your pedal pressure now? how are your launches going?

Ive got a stage 3 and a act x-act flywheel on my 2.3 60trim car It slips after about 5 or 6 11.80-12.0 passes. I have to let it cool down or it will slip like mad. Also launching with boost can sometimes be a problem. I am going to switch it out for a 2900 pp and replace the disc and hope for the best. I will say for a car making around 400ft lbs a spec 3 would hold up great. Ive put about 5k miles and around 50 launches and it hasnt came apart yet. Im gonna swap it out before it does though.

Well, based off of the large amount of negative reviews and the lack of applicable positive reviews, I have decided to go with an ACT 2600 as my clutch. I probably won't buy it for some time, as the stocker hasn't started slipping yet. Those Spec users that can answer my question from my first post (#103), please feel free to respond. But, as you can see from my duel with PieEyedPiper, I'm a tad specific in what kind of information I'm looking for. However, my original question pretty much implies who I'm looking for responds from. Autocrossers and quarter-milers, speak up with a review of your Spec clutch if you haven't already.

PieEyedPiper - a long PM has been sent.
PieEyedPiper said:
Got something more to say? take it to PM's.
Touché sir. You should've done the same.

james13 said:
when yours was slipping how did the pads on the disk look?

how is your pedal pressure now? how are your launches going?

The pads on the disk looked brand new. That 6puck can take alot. I also never pushed it when it was slipping because i was replacing different things to see if it would fix the problem. The last thing i had to do was check the clutch. I have detailed pics and what not showing how clean everything was even after 2,000 miles of hard abuse. As for pedal stiffness after putting in the act 2600 it was a little harder than stock but i got used to it within 30 minutes or so. Daily traffic is not a problem. Before when I had the spec pressure plate the pedal pressure was lighter than stock and it scared me to hell because it didn't feel like i had a clutch in there. At least now i can feel a little bit of it LOL. As for my launches i launch the car at 4500 rpms since i have the act xact flyweel. The clutch does not feel mushy or anything after repeated passes at least i know the act 2600 pressure plate is helping. Once i fix a surging problem with the 57trim i will turn up the boost and i'll see where where the limits of the clutch will be.

92tealTSI said:
Ive got a stage 3 and a act x-act flywheel on my 2.3 60trim car It slips after about 5 or 6 11.80-12.0 passes. I have to let it cool down or it will slip like mad. Also launching with boost can sometimes be a problem. I am going to switch it out for a 2900 pp and replace the disc and hope for the best. I will say for a car making around 400ft lbs a spec 3 would hold up great. Ive put about 5k miles and around 50 launches and it hasnt came apart yet. Im gonna swap it out before it does though.
Thank you for the review. I'm not surprised about needing to let the clutch cool off between passes. Can you be more specific about "launching with boost can sometimes be a problem"? How much boost? I thought most AWD drag cars looked forward to using some sort of stutter-box to help build boost at the line; would a Stage 3 be able to handle that? Overall, would you say you were satisfied with your Spec clutch?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back