The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

"Spec" clutches?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've had two stage 2's

#1 -
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

#2 -

Both lasted 1200 miles give or take 50 miles.
The first one I installed on a fresh motor.
The second one I had a dealership install on the same motor (obviously with 1200 miles on it at that point)

UVaJester said:
I have been keeping an eye on this thread for a while now... especially sicne my clutch is almost gone... I have been talking to Martin at TheSpeedFactor and have definitely decided on a Spec clutch. The only problem i am having is chossing between the stage2 or stage3... I am FWD so slipping the clutch is somehwhat important.. Does anyone have any experience with the stage3 on a FWD..?? Thanks in advance..

( My mods are in my profile if that helps when giving a suggestion..)

Jester

At this point I've got roughly 1k miles on the stage 3 6puck. I have done a few launches since it has now been broken in and if you are a half decent driver it rules. I was skeptical at first at its ability to slip during launch but I must say it slipped pretty damn nice. 3Krpm hold and slippped it to full engagement keeping revs at ~3K and then careful with the gas to redline so as not to break my tires. It does a VERY nice job. I get a real quick chirp sometimes if i F it up but like i said, half decent driver. Oh and shifting hard and fast into the next gears is beautiful.

91AWDDSM said:
I've had two stage 2's

#1 -

#2 -

The second one I had a dealership install on the same motor (obviously with 1200 miles on it at that point)

Any clue what caused this? Did you have your dowel pins in your block?

Please reply, just ordered my stage 2 OMG . Did they replace it without hassle? If not, what clutch are you running now?

Thanks in advance.

91AWDDSM said:
I've had two stage 2's

#1 -

#2 -

Wow. I wonder why the first one only has 4 springs in the hub as opposed to the 6 in the second...? How long did you have the first one before installing and using it. That sucks. I'm sure those springs f'ed some stuff up in there. WTF

Martin, have you ever seen any other specs fail in a similar way?

-Dustin :talon:

Just had my spec stage2 installed, not sure how long break in is?

Instructions that came w/ my spec says 450 miles of stop and go driving is the break in period. I'm going to go 1,000 miles just to be safe, although it is overkill.

Just recieved my SPEC stage 2 clutch, just waiting for my XACT street flywheel to come in.

For those of you who bought the SPEC clutch, was the Throw out bearing metal or plastic sleeved? I believe mine is metal so I'm just gonna toss it and buy a mitsu one.

:thumb: a metal throwout bearing came with my spec stage 3. i am very happy that i went to chris @neptuning to install my spec stage 3 and not to your average auto shop who doesn't know the tricks of the dsm. he put in a plastic one he had and we lit the metal one on fire.

as for the clutch itself: stock pedal pressure. some chatter(?beacuse i'm keeping it under 1500rpm from a stop until im sure its broken in?)
disengagement and engagement when shifting is rock solid.

imo this is the perfect clutch for a sporty awd daily driver.

:thumb: So far So AWSOME, Chatter goes down everytime i drive. Already put on about 500 Miles on the clutch and it feels good.

I've had my stage 3 for about 3500 miles now and it great so far. I matched it up to a fidanza flywheel and the whole package chatters rediculously. Besides the chattering, there isn't any other clutch I would rather use to lock my 6 bolt up to my shep trans together. And it certainly was a HUGE upgrade from the wimpy little 2100 I had in it before.

And, for the record, Martin and The Speed Factor are great. I intend on doing more business with them in the future. :thumb:

So i hae the Stage 2, It launches better and grabs hard. But when i go to second gear it slips and wont grab. Rpm's go up to like 6000, and it doesnt excellerate much more, not at a constant rate. By the time i get it to third gear it grabs it. My Trap speed has gone up significantly to 92mph over 88. But E.T has gone down do too the 2nd gear not grabing.

I ordered a stage-2 kit along with the Spec flywheel from TheSpeedFactor... We'll see once I get everything and intall them...

Jester

I need a clutch that'll hold 500+ lbs of torque. Will the spec stage 4 or 5 hold that?

Never mind. I see on spec's website they say the stage 5 will hold 610lbs. So is an iron disk exactly what it sounds like? That doesn't sound flywheel friendly or street friendly :(

roo said:
Never mind. I see on spec's website they say the stage 5 will hold 610lbs. So is an iron disk exactly what it sounds like? That doesn't sound flywheel friendly or street friendly :(

the stage 4 would do you fine. the 5 is a mean clutch and i wouldn't recommend it for the street.

On their site it claims the stage 4 will only hold 415lbs, same as the stage 3 for some reason. That won't be enough unless they are way under rated.

I do believe that here have been some very fast (low 11's and faster) times made on the Stage 3, so I'm pretty sure they are way underrated.

I'm pretty sure that you could run low 11's without making over 415lbs of TQ though.

Seems like the guys that list there mods on here that are in the 10's are using ACT 2900's for the most part.

These Spec clutches sound like just what im after, can anyone help with shipping on to the UK ?... Prostreetsdmx1 you have PM :D

Cheers
Ian

I just got done installing the Spec stage-II and the Spec Flywheel last night, along with a SBR LSD insert and prothane motor mounts... Everything feels great.. the pedal pressure did not change too much... but the clutch grabs like nothing else... I stalled the car 3 times just driving around the block in my neighborhood... it's going to take some time to get use to it... I'll update once I break the clutch in...

Jester

I got a Spec 3 clutch with the car when i bought it, but I was wondering if it is bad that there is rust on the flywheel and some of the clutch? There was a ton more today but i took a lot off with steel wool and brake and parts cleaner.

Attachments

• 100_5917.JPG
    100_5917.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 472
Just thought I would update my opinion on this clutch.
I had aproximately 600 miles on it and while driving the other night the spring popped back out. :mad: This is the second spec clutch I had, the first I was told was defective by a local shop who worked on my tranny, so I got another to give to them and put it.
Not too good of a track record with me now, and I will be returning to the ACT.
Thats just my opinion and experience though.
JB

My Stage 2 Spec perfoms fine so far and sidesteps at 7k are not a problem OMG , but it will be getting tested a bit more once my new turbo and ecu go on the new stroker engine ive just finished running in :cool: , however the rattling/chattering drives me mad!...only time its really quiet is when its fully loaded up, will be changing to something else when it goes i think.

Ian

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back