The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

"Spec" clutches?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badboyr66

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 8, 2002
eastern, Washington
Anyone know if these are an alternative to ACT? Wonder if they have the clamping force needed for a DSM.

i have a spec stage 2 which is similar to the ACT 2600, mive had 3 act 2600s so i know the diff between both, act feels much hared and are proven to be good, ive only accumulated 150 miles on the spec but so far i like the spec more, if it holds up as long as the acts do then i would recommend, the spec b/c its much cheaper:) , those are my 2 psi

how long did those three ACTs last you eatch? And did you have to jump though the hoops with the spec like u did the act? like step height, and simming of the falcrum ect?

truthfully i dont like the act clutches for me they dont last very long, but it might have been the way they were adjusted and installed, my first one lasted a while but the other 2 lasted didly squat. im really happy with the spec clutch thus far, if you want when i first launch the car and actually full throttle it ill let you know what i really think, but as for pedal pressure its much easier on the foot b/c its not so damn hard

if you want one i can get you one just pm me your # and ill call you if you want a spec clutch, thanks for the interest

500 dollars is a rip off, this shop out here near my house charges 150, to install a clutch on any car, dsm,supra,rx7, sr20det, it doesnt matter what car, find a shop thatll do it for as much as 175, that way if they fudge anything up its on them not you for you doing your own work

personally i know from experience in my turbo jetta, my spec clutch didnt really hold any sort of torque....maybe its just a vw thing but i found that a sachs clutch works better.....

What kinda have times have been pulled on a Spec?

Ya I h ave a Sachs on my 90 GTI with a cross flow swap, SDS Engine m anagment

My buddy has a spec clutch (abuot 3200lb pressure plate) on his DSM.

It should see 10's at the track this weekend.

hey folks, just wanted to chime in here real quick. We have been using spec for years, long before we even started The Speed Factor. It is by far our favorite clutch kit out there. ACT clutches have steadily declined over the years and the last few we have sold have failed within 30 days and ACT just gives everyone the brush off. Like i said we have used Spec for years, on our personal cars, competition cars and full race cars and have NEVER had one fail. If one ever did i am 100% confident that our buddies over a Spec would continue there awesome service and take care of it.

DSMvroom-thanks for chiming in man, let us know how you like it.

The Spec Stage 2 is the closest to the 2600 in grabbing power and the Stage 3 is it's own beast. That thing grabs like a champ and is amazing on AWD drag race cars.

I just bought a 95 GSX that has a 2600 in it, needless to say that is coming out.

Please do feel free to contact us if you have any questions about spec products.

thanks for the space folks, happy boosting.

mm they sound good. I really wanna know what kind of times people are posting, and how long they are lasting in these cars. We are on to somethiing if they are what everyone says they are

And Martin, it was good talking to you in the phone the other day. I will Fax that stuff over to you thurs
Patrick R
Snows Auto
:thumb:

badboyr66 said:
And Martin, it was good talking to you in the phone the other day. I will Fax that stuff over to you thurs
Patrick R
Snows Auto
:thumb:

same here bud, looking forward to working with you guys.

As far as the durability of Spec, we have on in our MR-2 that is used to racing that has over 15k on it and still grabbing strong. Out of the many many clutches we sold since we started not one person has ever complained about them not lasting or anything.

I've had a stage III in my car for about a year now, 12,000 miles or so. I love it, grabs real hard, can be slipped when needed for normal daily driving. I got mine when they where still 4 puck carbon pads, I think they are all 6 puck now and I don't know if they have changed the friction material or not.

What about step height? Does the flywheel have to be stepped funny like for a ACT?

And Mike, nice to see another WA state DSMer :thumb: :thumb:

2GturboTALON said:
DO you guys think a stage 1 will be enough to hold a bigt28 at its highest potential?

yes it will be ok. I would really suggest a Stage 2 to get away from the organic disc plus the small price difference but if you want a stock feel with a little more bite then the stage 1 is great for you.

i will be installing my stage 3 here in a couple weeks...i will let everyone know how it goes.

Also the Speed Factor is the only place i would order a spec from! They have exceptional service :thumb:

Badboyr66-I talked with SPEC and they recommended a step height of .610, hth
James- I ordered my stage 3 from HorsepowerFreaks in oregon one thurs and got it tuesday. Nice people and I think the price with shipping was like $2 cheaper than speed factor. And on a side note, I drive through lebanon a lot on my way to the ozarks. May have to stop for a beer someday.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back