The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Sinister 9 second street build - 97 Talon AWD

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awesome build thread. Car has come along way . Kinda of regret not going auto awd now LOL

Thank you! The car has taken alot of time, money and dedication.... cant wait to drive it here within the near month.

My goal was to have it running today or tomorrow but metro ended up having machine shop problems when they sent my front pump off to be machined so the trans ended up getting delayed by about a week and a half.... just ready t9 hear her start up for the first time!!!

I can help you on the wiring. How bout we trade help for help??? LOL Car is coming together fast man! Love it!

Sweet build to you and your son now I know whose car that is its better looking with the parts your dad described to me.

Thanks Victor! It should be a real nasty setup... my dad has been a huge help with my electronics and wiring because I don't feel comfortable doing that stuff.

Stay tuned for more pictures and updates!

Everyone wish Black97spyder a HAPPY 21st BIRTHDAY TODAY!!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY SON! Your car iz only a week or two away, I'll help as much as I can. Is gonna be SICK FAST!!!! :thumb: :D. My little boy is all grown up and a very accomplished mechanic and I'm very proud of you!!!

Alright guys, got a few updates. Got my trans back from metro this last Tuesday. Then couldnt sleep on Wednesday morning so I went outside and dropped the trans in by myself before I went to work at noon :thumb:

I also finished extending my ALT relocation wiring, trans temp sender wiring and got my toggles mounted in the dash under my touchscreen with a little bit of modification with my dremel tool :sneaky: :cool:. And finally last night I got around to routing and installing my -8an tank to rail kit from my modified sending unit up to the engine bay.

Now I just have to pull the motor off the stand, install my pilot bushing, my trans to block alignment dowels and bolt up my kiggly 7 bolt flexplate. Aftet that the motor is ready to drop in the car and then I get to start having combsdsm fabricate my side exit exhaust with a cutout going to muffled exhaust.

Its getting VERY close to being done :thumb: I can't wait!!

Attachments

• Collage 2014-04-11 12_05_12.jpg
    Collage 2014-04-11 12_05_12.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 118
  • Collage 2014-04-11 12_06_34.jpg
    Collage 2014-04-11 12_06_34.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 120
  • Collage 2014-04-11 12_06_40.jpg
    Collage 2014-04-11 12_06_40.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 138
  • Collage 2014-04-11 12_06_50.jpg
    Collage 2014-04-11 12_06_50.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 121
THE HEART IS IN THE BEAST!!!
The car is starting to come together extremely fast! I can't wait to drive this thing!

Well I got the motor off the stand and into the car today with the help of a friend. I think im getting pretty good at this pulling and replacing these motors, it took me only an hour to get it all bolted up to where I just have to plug things in basically. :hellyeah: :cool: :thumb: LOL

Now I just need to get my exhaust fabricated up to make everything fit and have the cutout with my side exit exhaust.

I also have to drill out both innermost fender, bumper bolts because the dumb P/O snapped them off when he went to take the stock motor right before I bought it. I have to do this to make my overkill fabrication bumper quick release kit (very nice piece, by the way), mount up properly as it uses the factory bumper mounting locations on the sides. After I have the bumper to where I can mount it, I can then cut the hole for the side exit exhaust so that way its an exact fit and doesnt look sloppy :cool:

Other than that there is just a couple small things and it should be ready for my1gdsm to tune the car and attempt first startup of it :hellyeah:

Attachments

• Collage 2014-04-13 02_18_04.jpg
    Collage 2014-04-13 02_18_04.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 127
Got some more updates. Got almost all of my wiring done. Just need to wire up my nitrous and oil pressure gauge and that stuff is done.. finally got my throttle body elbow back after 2 weeks, it now has my AIT, water/meth and nitrous bungs welded into in. I also got my fuel line cut to size, nitrous solenoids mounted, Dynatec arc -2 box mounted and wired up, cut a hole for my coolant overflow where the stock airbox used to be (and the splash guard still bolts up :cool:). And finslly got my catch can mounted, nitrous bottle mounted and lines ran to the bay and got my water/meth tank and pump mounted in the trunk.

Oh and got that sexy illusion purple valve cover with wet black letters on since all the work is done in the engine bay minus fabbing the exhaust.

The bay is EXTREMELY cramped with everything that is in it now.... i really need to find about 300 pounds to take out of this heavy pig (it weighed 3140 without me in it and 3270 with me in it before i started building this new setup).... All that is left now is wire up my oil pressure gauge, nitrous and then fab up my exhaust so I can start her up finally :thumb:

Attachments

• Collage 2014-04-22 23_38_17.jpg
    Collage 2014-04-22 23_38_17.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 121
  • Collage 2014-04-22 23_39_29.jpg
    Collage 2014-04-22 23_39_29.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 124
  • Collage 2014-04-22 23_40_24.jpg
    Collage 2014-04-22 23_40_24.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 120
  • Collage 2014-04-22 23_41_57.jpg
    Collage 2014-04-22 23_41_57.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 120
  • Collage 2014-04-22 23_43_19.jpg
    Collage 2014-04-22 23_43_19.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 124
  • Collage 2014-04-22 23_45_32.jpg
    Collage 2014-04-22 23_45_32.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 135
Thanks shsking11! Its came a long ways in the last year.

Should have a startup video in the next 2 weeks or so... still trying to figure out how I am going to fab my exhaust since I cant weld myself and it has to contour around my oil filter shield and hotside I/C piping so I cant take the pieces to a shop to be done without the car being there :hmm:

Looking good lots of progress, pulling has been a ritutual for me with these cars done it so many times i could do it in my sleep. Love the nos maybe i can get to see you and your dads cars.

Looking good lots of progress, pulling has been a ritutual for me with these cars done it so many times i could do it in my sleep. Love the nos maybe i can get to see you and your dads cars.

Thanks victor! The nos looks pretty sick mounted in the spair tire well :cool:... if your going to the shootout I will be there this year for sure, dont know of my dad can make it but I will definitely be there so you should stop and chat for a bit. :thumb:

For sure ill be there Thursday evening with the sim crew and then some from the Chicago area and here, ill look for you. Yo

Well I have a couple updates... one is good one is bad :(. So I will start out with the good news. Towed my car 1.5 miles down the road to the local exhaust shop and had my exhaust fabricated up to go around my hotside I/C piping and also around the OFH shield I made (to keep heat off the oil filter and keep from boiling the oil since the oil filter is only like 3" from the downpipe).

NOW.... time for the bad news. Upon arrival at the shop I got out of my car and noticed it was leaking trans fluid from the passenger side cv seal. And I immediately seen the axle wasnt seated fully into the trans (damn snap ring kept it from seating all the way and let it slide back out). So I went ahead and pushed the car up onto the lift with the help of the exhaust shop owner and my grandfather... 2 hours and $200 later the exhaust was done being fabbed to work around my new setup. Then we pushed the car back off the lift and across the street so I could tow it back home.

Well that didnt work out real well due to the passenger axle not being seated all the way. Within the first 1" of being pulled (with a welded center diff, so it was noticably hard to turn the car over the old stock differential) the car binded up and made a LOUD pop from the trans/ passenger axle area and the car got super easy to turn and tow, not to mention the fact I couldnt hear the differential turning anymore while getting towed down the road. So went ahead and towed the car home since that was the only way to get it back... got it home, called metro trans immediately to see whats I should do and started tearing into the car to see what made the sound.

Upon inspection and being walked through diagnosis steps by metro trans, we first thought I broke the front differential somehow (before I found the axles was ALL the way out of the trans, as I thought it was in all the way... until I removed my battery tray and could visually see the axle wasnt seated fully. Well luckily it wasnt the front differential after a full day if inspection and crossing possible causes off the list....

After re-seating the axle I went through inspection tests again to make sure everything in the trans was fine. Everything in the trans checked our fine so far (thank god) BUT I could hear a NASTY metal grinding sound when my brother spun the rear tires forward, which moved the driveshaft and tcase output shaft and when he turned the tires backwards the driveshaft doesnt spin at all :cry: :banghead:... the sound was definitely coming from the tcase.... so I ripped the tcase back off and tore it apart for inspection, only to find some carnage that I created (and not by towing the car).

The metal grinding sound I was hearing was from my dumbass forgetting to put the bearing race out of the oem tcase bearing cover into the new F.F. tcase brace.... so I found a destroyed bearing and that the bearing had eaten into my FF cover, but fortunatly I think the cover can be re-used..... as for the tcase, it seems to be alright (gear wise from looking inside it) but I feel weary about using it, so I am either going to have to find and buy a used 97-99 auto tcase or borrow some money and send it off to boosting performance or Devo-2ning for the 300m upgrade along with my FF tcase brace.

I will upload pics of the custom vband eliminator downpipe and carnage of the tcase tomorrow when I get some spair time..... FML!! Its always gotta be something! I was sooo ready to start the car before the weekend and drive it around for the first time since October. So I guess street car takeover in Kansas City is going to be a no-go for me this year. I was really looking forward to dynoing the car and racing some badass street cars but that will come in time now.

stay tuned for pictures of the carnage and a first startup video as soon as I get this stuff fixed!

It will all come together and be a good ride real soon....lotta work gone into it, don't let it get ya down some good luck surely has to come your way soon!!! Keep up the good build.

Sorry to hear about the problems, but good luck with getting it all back in shape. Looking forward to pics and a startup video too. :thumb: Good luck!

Thanks Matt!

Here are pics of my new custom vband o2 eliminator downpipe and pictures of the carnage from the tcase (im the one who made the roller bearing fall out, but it wasnt attached to the tcase shaft anymore)

Attachments

• Collage 2014-05-07 13_25_07.jpg
    Collage 2014-05-07 13_25_07.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 114
  • Collage 2014-05-07 13_25_37.jpg
    Collage 2014-05-07 13_25_37.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 115
  • Collage 2014-05-05 20_19_10.jpg
    Collage 2014-05-05 20_19_10.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 116
  • Collage 2014-05-07 13_26_30.jpg
    Collage 2014-05-07 13_26_30.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 118
  • Collage 2014-05-07 13_27_17.jpg
    Collage 2014-05-07 13_27_17.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 114
Well I found a used 97 auto tcase yesterday for $180 so I decided I couldnt pass that good of a deal up and went and bought it :thumb:

This time i got the bearing race out of the new tcase's old oem cover thanks to the help of my dad, cleaned up the burrs on the inside of the F.F cover from my f*** up, placed the pre-load shim in the F.F. cover and finally tapped the bearing race into place and installed the F.F. tcase brace onto the new tcase I got.

I will be installing everything back onto the car when I wake up and check everything out again. If all checks out good I will plug all my electrical connections back in, torque down my tcase and prepare for first startup this weekend :pray: :hellyeah:

Here is a pic of my new tcase with the FF tcase brace installed. :rocks:

Attachments

• Collage 2014-05-09 01_55_22.jpg
    Collage 2014-05-09 01_55_22.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 104
GREAT NEWS!!! Car started right up in less than 5 seconds on its first try!! :thumb:... have been having my1gdsm tuning the car again for the new setup. So far he is doing an AWESOME job.

Here is the first startup video (technically the 2nd startup as some adjustments needed made to the global and few other things to be almost spot on).

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QQfa01hfDSw[/ame]

The motor, trans and turbo now all have 54 miles on them as of tonight.... also while breaking the motor in the motorman method way.... a local 500hp evo 9 rolled up on me and tried to pass me, well I can't back down from a challenge so I stepped on it since I had to do it for break in anyway. Lohan behold his little evo couldn't outrun the talon on w.g. pressure (23psi) and not even tuned for WOT all the way at that time ;) :thumb:

Then shit hit the fan.... my trans cooler didnt like all the wind resistance at 120+mph outrunning the evo and the feed line from the trans to the cooler rubbed the tire going that fast, causing ALOT (like 3+ qts) of trans fluid to be lost over a mile stretch until I got slowed down and pulled over..... luckily I had a spair full quart of trans fluid in the car that I added to the trans to limp it home.

For some wierd reason my nice billet oil cap wouldn't stay tight and while under w.g. pressure racing the evo the oil cap came off, then left the engine bay somehow and let oil fly everywhere from the cams spinning at 7k+ rpm. So had to wait on my dad to bring me a spair oil cap to limp the car home 3 miles.

Man the car pulls HARD, its flowing 48-49lbs/min at w.g. pressure. I see w.g pressure at 5500 rpm in 2nd gear and at 5k rpm in 3rd gear.... oil pressure is great too but think its pretty high for my turbo, so im thinking I will need to restrict oil flow to it some and that will help spool also ( im seeing 80psi cruising at 2800-3k rpm). Also will probably port my OFH while its off and im changing the gasket to fix my leak.

Now just waiting to get some money and I will replace the trans cooler line that I had to patch to make it home, buy new trans fluid, change the oil for the first time and then fix my oil leak from the OFH gasket... while im at it I am going to check for other oil leaks, fix them as needed and the car will be good to go and do whatever I feel like ;)

Nice build, just have a couple questions.

1) Can you PM me what you had Mark do to your trans and the price you ended up paying?(so you don't post it on a public page)

2) How do you like the converter for street driving? Around what RPM does the needle sit at if you're cruising at 70-75mph on the highway? When you stab the throttle, what does it do? (like does it flash to 5k and then come down, or does it slowly climb like a stock converter?)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back