The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Short block disassembly and inspection; how do you do it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoolin4Ever

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 24, 2005
Moses Lake, Washington
I am gonna pull this block out someday hopefully within the next week or 2. But once I get the block out of the car, how do I take the pistons and crank out, how do inspect it all and does anyone want to also tell me who sells bearings and rings for cheap I am looking for stock/oem equivalents. Actually my engine has been bored over once before, it has pistons marked .50 (or .050)? But I am looking for stock equivalent as far as the metals, etc. I remember back in the day there was parts dinosaur but are they still selling DSM parts?

I do own the Haynes and also the Chilton, and the DSM CD. DOes the DSM CD show how to do this stuff? Which pdf file is it?

Also curious if there is a good online vfaq or youtube videos.

Your engine was bored over twice , your at the high end of the spec as far as bore is concerned. Some guys go .060 over but it’s not recommended. As far as replacements topline or npr “nippon” are good stock replacements

Taking everything apart is self explanatory, putting everything back is the tricky part. Try jafromobile , get reference

Jafromobile on YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
The factory service manual has a rundown of everything in regards to a rebuild. Torque specs, exploded view of all the parts and how they go together, what clearances you need to measure, and how to measure them. The 2.0L engine rebuild section starts on page 9-83 in the physical book. Probably the same for the CD.

I agree with SasaniFab, it's pretty self explanatory once you take off the oil pan and get in there. Reassembling things correctly, checking clearances, and keeping things clean is where mistakes can happen. Jafromobile on youtube goes in depth on everything related to a 4g63 rebuild. Watch those and get an idea of what it entails.

And you can still get the NPR pistons and rings in various sizes. I got mine from RTM Racing/pistons in Canada.

As far as inspection goes. Prepare to invest in some tooling.
Some things you can get off brand but for most stuff, name brand stuff like Starrett is all I trust, and they are not cheap. However, they’re guaranteed accurate, and they last.
I know I’m going to forget one or two:
—Outside Micrometers (preferably the rounded ones) —> multiple uses but the rounded ones I like for measuring bearings and bearing thicknesses.
—Feeler gauges for checking rings
—Dial bore gauge or Inside micrometers —> I like a dial bore gauge, but they can’t fit inside the small end of a connecting rod, so an inside mic or verniers will have to do.
—Vernier calipers are always handy.
—Straight edge(s)

and these are just for inspection. You’ll need other stuff for assembling. This is what I consider must-haves.
@motomattx is someone I’ve talked to on here and he’d def be able to tell you more of what you’d need.

Ring gap tool.
Ring compressor
Hone
Set of micrometers
Natural ability or mechanically inclined

I can only imagine how much has been decked off the block by now. If your head has been decked as well you're going to need a farely thick headgasket

Most likely that 0.5 on the pistons is in millimeters. Meaning it was bored about 0.020" oversize. You'll have to actually measure to know for sure.

On an engine that has already been rebuilt once by someone else, you'll need to check head cc's, piston to valve clearance and probably will want the cylinders sonic tested to verify there's no fine cracks or thin spots from the overbore.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back