The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Sand fell into injector hole

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bstaley

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 2, 2011
Okemos, Michigan
So I'm in the process of pulling the motor/trans in my 2g awd. While removing the electrical clips I pulled the injectors. I had just cleaned the whole engine bay in the beginning of summer. Though, when I pulled the fuel rail I noticed it was dirty around the injectors. Sand could have fell in, not a 100% sure. Stuffed the holes with shop towels and blew the whole top of with air. I hope I'm just be neurotic, but I don't want to do all of this work and have it jack the head or cylinders up. If any sand did fall in it was less than a pinch. My plan is to run a scope in to try to get some more info. If the valves are open it could have fell into the cylinder. I could use any helpful suggestions on removing it or making it less of a threat.

If I were in that position, just don't turn the motor over. You are pulling the motor anyway, is it because of that?
Take out the sparkplugs and use compressed air to blow into the injector hole. Spray some carb spray or other solvent in and repeat several times. When the motor comes out, just get the head off and repeat the process to clean grit. I am assuming you are needing to do a rebuild. I would worry if I weren't taking the motor out anyway but lesson well learned to blow compressed air around there BEFORE you pull injectors out again (sparkplugs, intake, etc,... you get the idea).
I think you will be ok by just trying to blow it all out. PTW clearances are pretty tight and particles could only get to the 1st ring, if that.
Pops

If you can borrow or have a borescope, put it in the sparkplug hole and have a look! If you're not happy, just pull the head and clean it and put it back on with a new head gasket to the correct torque and you will be fine.

I actually have one; I plan on checking it out later today. Honestly just paranoid and can't stop thinking about how much extra work I might have just created :sosad:. Oh well, I'd rather have it done right then just turning a blind eye. Thanks for your suggestions!

It's not that much more work since the motor is coming out of the car. Think Positive!

yeah I know but, it's been sitting for 10 years. I wanted to take it out and give it a once over and this is giving me the opportunity to touch almost everything in the engine bay. so far I've already found a few electrical clips that are busted, a lot of the driveline parts are barely tightened and will also be able to paint various items that have rusted.

And don't forget.........SAND, you found that too! :p
Just trying to get a smile out of you!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back