The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Rotor/Pad Choice for Outlander brakes

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshMc

Proven Member
Nov 18, 2015
Kansas City, Missouri
okay, looking for everyone that is using the outlander brake upgrade in the front, im looking for whats the best option for high performance rotors? i found stop tech makes some nice slotted rotors for the 05/06 outlander, is this the best option or is there anything else? it will be on a auto cross and road course car so definitely looking for best cooling properties in the breaking area, and while im at it, whats the best pads to be used? thanks in advance for any help!

I've run this combo on my DSM, a miata autox car, a 240sx, a brz, a corvette, a camaro, and a tacoma and it continues to impress me. Brembo O.E. replacement rotors and Hawk HPS pads both off tirerack. They're vented rotors and super high carbon I haven't warped any of them yet. They're incredible. The HPS pads are really resistant to fade but still retains good streetability. They bite hard and they bite quickly.

Ebc slotted/drilled rotors and soon to be yellow stuff pads (centric ceramics for now).

I can lock it up with no effort if needed, rotors are in good shape, I'd have gone with slotted or blanks if the price hadn't been right.

Brembo blanks are a good idea actually. Pad choice is more up to what you'll be using the car for. Yellow or red stuff pads, haven't tried hawk personally.

Autocross and track days (road course) are two completely different animals. You should have dedicated pads for each type of event as the required temp ranges for the pads would be quite different. For an Autocross, you would want something that has pretty decent bite in the lower temp range, while having a higher temp range for a road course. That being said, here are some suggestions for each:

Autocross (ok for street duty as well)
  • Hawk HPS
  • Hawk HP+ (great setup)
  • Ferodo D2500
  • Carbotech AX6 (personal preference)
Track day (road course)
  • Hawk DTC-60
  • Carbotech XP10 (personal preference)
    • I cannot say enough good things about this pad. Once warmed up, the stopping power is amazing with excellent fade resistance.
Keep in mind that the 05/06 Outlander uses the same caliper up front, so the pad size is identical to the 2 piston AWD DSM. The idea is that the Outlander bracket extents the distance of the caliper allowing for a larger (Outlander) rotor to be used. For both Autocross and track days, I would recommend using blank rotors for optimal pad contact. At the very least, a slotted rotor would be ok. I have been extremely pleased with Centric blanks in both the regular and high carbon series. Keep in mind also that both pad choices will have significantly more dusting and noise than your average street pad. I would not, however, reccomend driving the reccomended track day pads on the street. If you end up getting a set of pads for track days, I highly suggest getting a set of rotors dedicated for that set of pads. Proper bedding is very important for track pads to get the most out of them.

Here are some other brake related items to consider:
Ensure also that your tires will be up to task for each type of event as well. I myself, do not care for the ABS on the DSM for either type of event (Autocross), so I may suggest trying an event with it active, and an try it with the fuse pulled to see what you prefer. I don't use it for track days either. The Outlander setup has been good to me for track days as I still need to swap the stock brackets back on to use 15 wheels for RallyCross. I do however, find the dust boots on the calipers do not fare well after a track day. I keep an extra set of calipers around for rebuild as I usually have to swap them every other track day (the other set get rebuilt). This is not ideal, but works for now. I will be transitioning to Evo Brembo's very soon. Some of the pad choices I listed may seem like quite an investment, but in the racing world, you will still be on extreme budget brakes. My first track day, I annihilated a new set of Hawk HPS pads and decided to spring for a set of dedicated track pads because the experience was addicting.

Last edited:
I would def. recommend going Wagner at a local level Akebono, EBC, Hawk, Bosch.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back