The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

rod bearings and piston rings

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenuwine4g63

10+ Year Contributor
May 26, 2009
Charlotte, North_Carolina
Ok, I want to know how good are the ACL rod bearings. Im going to be replacing my piston rings soon and rod bearings. Everything stock size no bore or nothing. Who makes a pretty good set of piston rings that i could buy. I seen NPR but what are my other choices. I've been looking to but just want to know what experiences with different types of each you guys have had.

I don't have experience with NPR nor ACL but if you are going stock I would suggest clevite77's. Seems to be a good bearing for domestic I'm sure they are just as great for imports. I myself plan to go with the ACL trimetal bearings but Ill see how that goes. I Am also hoping to see some others post here. As far as rings I can't say anything, I plan to go with the rings I got with the Arias pistons I have, which I am hoping are as good of quality as their pistons. I would suggest that you replace your "lifters" to the 3g revised and your studs ( head and main) to ARP which includes some machine work, so my machine shop tells me, because how the studs torque down the head and studs in a different way.

i don't have experience with npr nor acl but if you are going stock and you don't plan on too much power i would suggest clevite. seems to be a good bearing for domestic I'm sure they are just as great for imports

yea im only looking for about 300whp. After i finish getting everything but i want my bearings to be top of the line. Really dont want any failure with those main or rods.

At that goal you should be fine with what i described above, but thats your goal now , once you want more you wont want to build the bottom end again so i would go with more than your hp goals at this point. im not sure what the rating for npr or acl are but even stock you would be fine, as far as internals, for your 300whp, just make sure you maintain it verry well and even then try not to push it all day/ every day. im sure you knew this

At that goal you should be fine with what i described above, but thats your goal now , once you want more you wont want to build the bottom end again so i would go with more than your hp goals at this point. im not sure what the rating for npr or acl are but even stock you would be fine, as far as internals, for your 300whp, just make sure you maintain it verry well and even then try not to push it all day/ every day. im sure you knew this

Ohh yes definetly. I was looking at the clevite bearings and they seem to not have the oil hole in the bearing im kind of shy away from that. thats why i suggested the ACL, but i think the ACL may be close to stock.

im running acl bearings and they are doing just fine.. npr rings should be fine as well being that stock pistons are npr technically from what i know... you can also get hasting rings witch are a pretty good name when it comes to rings

I'm running ACL Race Bearings, just measure them and make sure everything is within spec and you should be good. As for NPR rings i have no personal experience with them but there's plenty of guys out there running these.

I'm running ACL Race Bearings, just measure them and make sure everything is within spec and you should be good. As for NPR rings i have no personal experience with them but there's plenty of guys out there running these.

Great I'll go with the ACL bearings, but you said measure them. Measure them in what spec meaning how, are they not the same size as factory or you mean measure the wear of the crank?? And How??

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back