The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

copper spray gaskets [Merged 6-9]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copper spray can stand on both sides of the fence,usually its preference of the builder.Some swear by it, others have done just fine without it. As for the mls, yes you have to have a perfectly flat surface on the block and head to have a proper seal, as an mls gasket is not as forgiving as a composite one.IF you've installed an mls before without machining the surfaces and had no issues then I would say you got lucky and already had a nice flat surface.Personally I would not take a gamble on it as you may end up doing the job twice once you turn the boost up,machine those surfaces for an mls !

noted. i have nothing but time. might as well get it machined.

I used copper spray on my front case gaskets, head gaskets, and manifold gaskets and never had any issues what so ever... what harm would it do really? All it can do is help seal.

what do you guys use on oil pumps?
permatex copper spray. or rtv gasket maker?

I used copper spray and it worked great. I generally like to use copper spray on the HG and most paper-type gaskets when they see oil.

Nothing.
If your talking about between the two haves of the pump (front case and pump housing) nothing goes between them and the paper gasket by itself is fine for between the front case and block.

I do just a *very* thin skin of RTV on one side of the gasket . . . just enough so the gasket holds on to the housing before assembly. It *should* not require anything though . . . I just want to make sure the oil passages are properly lined up.

Simple question, I did a bunch of searching but I never came across a direct answer. Will it help to put a few coats of permatex copper spray on my composite oem misu head gasket before the install? Also since I'm using this headgasket is it really necessary to have my head/block resurfaced because of the "squishy" material the headgasket is made of?

Thanks guys!

Most times, if a spray or coating is required for a head gasket, the gasket manufacturer will include it in the kit. You'd be better served by making sure your mating surfaces are perfectly clean and flat.

I have never used the stuff and never had an issue with any gaskets. BTW I hope you have new head bolts or head studs because the stock ones are torque to yield and not re-useable. (assuming this is on a 7 bolt)

Agree^ with defiant. I have always sprayed a thin coat on. I think this is more or less one of those useless arguments without any technical data.

Kind of like when the old guys come into work and want the cork gaskets as opposed to all the younger guys wanting the rubber. I think it's what ever works for you.

Most of the copper spray threads here are about head gaskets and stuff. I need to know about the other gaskets.

Gaskets in question:

turbo inlet (FP mls 7cm one)
exhaust manifold (oem 4ply)
intake manifold (oem 2 ply)
both the throttle body gaskets (oem)
o2 housing (evo 3)

So do I use copper spray?

on which ones?

both sides of gasket?

I usually use it on exhaust manifold to head, exhaust manifold to turbo, and o2 housing to turbo.

I used to be indifferent to copper spray. Now i am completely against its use. The 1 time i ever worked on a car and used copper spray, it was on the headgasket. The oil had visible copper flecks in it afterward. Never again.

I use it on everything, even the 3" exhaust gaskets. I use to spray it on and wait 5-10 minutes then install it, now I wait to it's fully dry to install. It works better for me this way.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back