1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Replaced Slave Cylinder Now Clutch Has Issues, Please help

Posted by Josh_JDTRacing_com, Feb 14, 2020

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing
  1. Josh_JDTRacing_com

Josh_JDTRacing_com Probationary Member

Joined Nov 4, 2019
    Pawtucket, Rhode Island
    Hey guys, I have a 1990 Eclipse GSX with ACT 2900 with 6 Puck Solid Disc. Stainless Steel Clutch Line. The clutch has always caught very high off the floor since I got it and thought that was just the way this particular car was. After a few weeks the slave cylinder went. I replaced it, bled it and to my amazement the clutch was catching beautifully now much lower to the floor the way it should. Well a few days pass and I take it for a ride and I notice that it is now catching way way up high again like when I originally bought the car.

Does this sound like the Master Cylinder? Seems like air is getting into the lines or something...

What do you guys think?

2. 99ECLIPSEGSXDSM

99ECLIPSEGSXDSM Proven Member

Joined Aug 22, 2010
    Erie, Pennsylvania
    Sound like it could be the master. Always a good idea to replace both slave and master at the same time.

Autocross Build 544  1

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

Autocross Build 4K  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    13.5 @ 99 · 2G DSM
  3. twicks69

twicks69 Supporting Vendor

Joined Mar 12, 2004
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Could be pedal pump up from an inner piston seal failing in the clutch master cylinder, or else it is a pedal over-adjustment issue.

Drag Race Build 8K  12  76

9.499 @ 155.00 · 2G DSM
  4. biglady112

biglady112 Proven Member

Joined May 20, 2004
    Commerce City, Colorado
    Or you could adjust it to where you want it and bleed it until you get the desired results. Likely will need a longer slave cylinder rod as I am sure your pedal assembly is worn out. Normal 1G problems.

it sounds as if you have never adjusted it or don’t know how.

5. TheFlashDSM

TheFlashDSM Supporting Member

Joined Feb 18, 2010
    stony brook, New York
    clutch master +1 on that

Drag Race Build 2K  25

awd · automatic · 2G DSM
  6. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    Everytime I see this I'm going to have to disagree. Extended slaves do not work.

Street Build 3K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  7. biglady112

biglady112 Proven Member

Joined May 20, 2004
    Commerce City, Colorado
    It works every time. Regardless if it is a 1g, 2g, Csm, galant. 30 years of wear you have to make up for it somewhere. I have done it to probably 50 cars over the years. I guess all 50 cars were wrong.

obviously there are reasons for doing it. Not everyone is willing to do the whole repairs in hopes it is factory correct, some cannot afford it, sometimes doing the correct repairs does not yield results. So yes, it does work and is proven.

what I don’t agree with is the stupid shimmed fulcrum ball. That has never done anything than create more work for me.