1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Removing timing belt... no need to remove crank sproket?

Posted by pneumagger, Sep 21, 2009

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. pneumagger

pneumagger Probationary Member

Joined Sep 13, 2009
    St. Pete Beach, Florida
    Background - bad HG on a 1G and needs replacement.

I've read A BUNCH of articles and sources about belt removal and head removal.
    head removal seems straight forward... remove everything from the head and pull the manifolds and head off the block.

The belt removal steps seem to be confusing me. To get the head off, the timing belt must come off.
    Therefore the timing cover must be removed and thus the water/alt belt & A/C belt & power steering belt need be removed.
    Now, I am not interested in replacing any belts/parts from the timing set, only removing the timing belt to pull the head off.

So can I ignore all the other steps involving pulling the crank sproket off with a breaker bar and dealing with balance shafts and such? Just unbolt the crank pulley? As long as I leave my CS @ TDC once the head is off and don't mess with the oil pump I should be OK to drop the head back on and time the CAMS?
    I will be putting a new timing belt in the motor during reinstall simply because a new belt is good insurance - but that's it. New Gaskets and new belt.
    All the "old" timing belt, other belts, and componets only have 20k on them.

2. donniekak

donniekak DSM Wiseman

Joined Mar 23, 2008
    Surprise, Arizona
    It's 4 bolts to take off the crank pulley. Take it off so you can set the timing when the head goes back on.

Street Build 4K  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  3. counti41

counti41 Proven Member

Joined Dec 18, 2007
    Waldorf, Maryland
    correct only need to remove the harmonic balancer(4 bolts) crank sprocket has timong markt tha ## gonna use to time ## engine...ig u have a balance chaft make sure u time the balance shaft tool...you will know if u did it wrong good luck:hellyeah:

605  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM
  4. pneumagger

pneumagger Probationary Member

Joined Sep 13, 2009
    St. Pete Beach, Florida
    I know if the cam sprokets are out of time I can wreck my valves/pistons... but what bout the balance shafts?
    If the balance shafts are out of phase, can I hurt my engine? Or will just get crazy vibration/noise?

5. 97eclipseNT

97eclipseNT Proven Member

Joined Sep 14, 2004
    irwin, Pennsylvania
    you'll just get a bad vibration but its easy to get them right. If line up all the timing marks before taking the t-belt off you will already have both b-shafts aligned but if you happen to move the one thats ran off of the oil pump then you can use a screw driver and see how far it goes into the hole in the back of the block to verify if it is aligned or 180* out. For the cam gears just make sure the dowel pins are at 12 'o clock when you put your head back on.

382  0

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    12.508 @ 109.760 · 2G DSM
  6. DSM1G90

DSM1G90 Proven Member

Joined Apr 6, 2008
    Nampa, Idaho

2K  0

1990 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo
    · 1G DSM