The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Removing Timing Belt on a 1g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgaulding

Probationary Member
Mar 1, 2011
Peculiar, Missouri
I'm trying to remove my timing belt on my 90 1g but can't figure out which pulley is the tensioner. So other than locating the tensioner I need to know how to relieve the the tension to pull the belt off without destroying it. I'm doing this so I can pull the head off and replace the head gasket. Pictures and detailed instructions would be greatly appreciated!! THANKS!

Yep vfaq.com or a manual, tensioner releases the slack nothiing else. Might as well remove the cover and do it, your gonna have to anyway to change the belt out.

Thanks for the link, thats one of the reasons I love this forum.

And I know all its going to do is slacken it but the belt is still new and all I need is some slack to slide it off so I can pull the head off.

Ok so that link has great instructions but no pictures and I have no idea which pulley is actually the tensioner. And it mentions special tool, what sort of thing is that suppose to be and can it be substituted?

Thanks for the link, thats one of the reasons I love this forum.

And I know all its going to do is slacken it but the belt is still new and all I need is some slack to slide it off so I can pull the head off.

Ok so that link has great instructions but no pictures and I have no idea which pulley is actually the tensioner. And it mentions special tool, what sort of thing is that suppose to be and can it be substituted?

never mind LOL, I just clicked on the 1g link at the bottom and it pulled up detailed instructions with pictures and talking about the special tool.

Glad you figured it out. Just to make it easier for people searching in the future, here is the image with the part names:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

and here is the link to the 1G timing belt VFAQ: Timing Belt VFAQ (Timing Belt TSB - ENHANCED)

Keep in mind that there are 2 tensioners, the hydraulic tensioner and the tensioner pulley. Make sure you reset the tension on the hydraulic tensioner or better yet, if you don't know the last time everything was replaced, replace all of the timing components so you won't have to worry about the belt snapping or jumping time once you get everything back together.

Hope this helps!

1 last thing, anyone know of a good way to not need that special tool for this? i don't a battery hold down rod anymore (I don't think) so I can't create one the way they are talking, I might have a long bolt I can use but I don't know the thread pattern and DO NOT want to cross thread that hole.

Yeah, get a piece of rod the right size and length. Then thread it to match the hole in the tensioner.

M8, they are usually like 3' just put some kind of rod into where the tool goes to measure the distance then lay it against the threaded rod and cut to length.

Or buy one for $15, Jay Racing Timing Belt Tool, Compress Hydraulic Tensioner [TBT1] - $15.00 : Jay Racing

They also sell the other tool to fit the pulley to get a wrench on it,

Jay Racing Timing Belt Tool, Preload Eccentric Pulley [TBT2] - $20.00 : Jay Racing

Or do this

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Here is another useful thread on this stuff you might want to look through,

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-engine-fuel/214625-timing-belt-tensioning-tips-4g63-turbo.html

Thanks for everything guys. I went to the hardware store and bought a bolt 8-1.25 150mm for $3.70 and then just tapped the threads longer and it worked perfectly.

don't f*** up, the guy that changed my timing belt, did it wrong, and it snapped while driving, damaged my head so bad, all of my valves were bent. had to get a new head.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back