The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

need help removing timing belt!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nic_EclipseRs09

Probationary Member
May 12, 2009
Santa Ana, California
I am in the process of removing my timing belt but i cant seem to get the engine mount bracket off. the bolts are too long and hit the body of the car. I have tried jacking the engine up and down and wiggling it out but it wont seem to come out. is there a simple solution to this problem that i am missing or do i need to use an engine lift?

Also i cant get my crank wheel off. It just spins when i try to unscrew it. Do i need an impact gun or is there another way?

Please help I am very frustrated!
thanks

If I am not mistaken once you have all the mount bolts out you jack the engine up as far as it will go. then slide the mount away from the engine, tilt the mount up and let the bolt hang towards the ground, you can then wiggle the mount out with the bolts still in the mount. Biggest thing is leave the bolts in the mount dont try to take the bolts out then take the mount out it wont work that way.

As far as the crank bolt you can use a breaker bar and socket. then you turn the engine over with the key to break the bolt loose. If not use an impact gun, alot quicker. and be sure to check the balancer real good if it looks suspect replace it as they are known to go bad.

impact is way easier for the crank pulley.

Of course it is, just like it's easier to light a cigarette with a lighter but sometimes i have to use the Stove.

ok thanks i will go try that right now. jacking the engine up the high wont damage anything on my engine?

Well dont try to jack the motor up out of the car. You will know when you cant go any farther.

ok cool well tomorrow im going to buy a better jack because i dont trust the little jack i have. And I will buy an impact gun while I'm at it. Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how it goes!

turning the engine over is out of the question because removing the timing belt is part of my efforts in removing my head to replace the head gasket. so I guess impact gun is the way to go.

ok cool i got the mounting bracket off and i bought an impact wrench and got the bolt fastener off of the crank wheel but now i cant pull the wheel off. is there anything else i need to do before i can take the crank wheel off?

They sell real cheap electric impact guns now. Like under 40$ for one that works well. They were total crap when they first came out but now they work well. Not as well as a good Air Gun but hey good air guns go for twice that and you still need a compressor.

Also there is the tried and true method of breaker bar + Socket + Something to keep the crank from turning. I dont know about how hard a DSM block is. (Cast Steel IIRC) but Saturn blocks are lost form cast aluminum and you can just wedge a wrench into the crank pully against the block to break the crank pully bolt loose.

They sell real cheap electric impact guns now. Like under 40$ for one that works well. They were total crap when they first came out but now they work well. Not as well as a good Air Gun but hey good air guns go for twice that and you still need a compressor.

Also there is the tried and true method of breaker bar + Socket + Something to keep the crank from turning. I dont know about how hard a DSM block is. (Cast Steel IIRC) but Saturn blocks are lost form cast aluminum and you can just wedge a wrench into the crank pully against the block to break the crank pully bolt loose.

He has the balancer bolt out already, he was asking how to get the balancer off after the bolt is out.

Oh /facepalm.

For the crank pulley just a get pully puller from O Reilly's The will rent you one. Most autoparts stores will I know oreillys will give you the full rental fee back if you bring back un damaged.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back