The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Re-using timing belt

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2ndGen

Probationary Member
May 30, 2011
Albuquerque, New_Mexico
Well I have read the other threads but my question involves a little more. Basically I have been getting ready and gathering info to replace the gasket on my front case on a 92 eclipse gs. Now I KNOW the timing belt has less than 10k on it because I had it replaced by a mechanic last tax season, around jan/feb. Now I know now how to do the grenade pin adjustment when adjusting the timing belt after I have the case back on with everything else (grenade pin must slide in and out easily after tensioner adjustment) but what I am not sure of is if I should re-use this belt with the new adjustments. The auto tensioner is also new, less than 10k. what I am trying to get at is obviously the rod on the auto tensioner will be extended a little more prior to taking everything off when observing everything down there, and when I put everything back on and adjust it to where the grenade pin slides in and out the distance of the rod will be less (aprox .15 inches). will this still be ok since I am reusing the same belt? Or is the grenade pin method ONLY for adjusting new timing belts? Once the engine is up and running will the rod of the AT extend a little more to compensate??

I would buy a new one just to be on the safe side. It still has low miles, yes, but a new one from a parts store is still cheap. I just got done pulling my engine apart again, and my t-belt only has 3,072 miles, I'm still gonna buy a new one for the hell of it. At 10k-ish miles, you probably don't need a new one, but it doesn't hurt.

The procedure involving the grenade pin won't change regardless of whether your using a new belt or old. As far as using the old belt at 10k miles... I would say better safe than sorry and just get a new belt. $100 or so for the belt is a lot cheaper than a new head. On a side note though, I totaled my previous DSM last year and had just done a new timing belt job within the last 2-3k miles. When I purchased my new DSM I swapped the timing belt components over, but only after inspecting the belt and taking into consideration the fact that it was a Gates Racing belt.;)

I say it depends on the brand. If you had a mechanic replace the belt, they more than likely used a generic brand belt from their supplier (NAPA, Autozone, Advanced, etc.). On the off-chance that they did use a Gates or Mitsubishi belt, keep it and reuse it. No point in tossing a belt that has 50,000 miles of life left. But otherwise, just replace it with said Gates or Mitsubishi belt. Gates belts can be found at Oreilly's for dirt cheap.

(Belt for 4g63, the 1.8 SOHC belt may be different)
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d..._timing+belt_1205615_2857&keyword=timing+belt

If the timing belt shows no bamage, frayed edges, or the groove from the long oil pan bolt and has not been oil soaked from leaking cam seals, front case, front crank seals.

And it is a good quality belt to start, Gates, OE, some Kevlar blue belt.

And you are not running super high spring pressures

You should be fine running the belt.

I'm cheap but at 10k who cares? I don't replace my belt every time I have to take it off for some reason. It isn't any older, any more worn etc. If there is no damage or contamination there is no difference. That is this mans opinion.

A quick $30 part will save you a ton of stress and time. I learned that one the hard way. Get a new one.

If you have to "convince" yourself or feel the need to defend your reasoning to re-use the old one, you and everyone else knows you should just replace it.

unless its a kevlar belt. Then replace it. It makes no sense not to. You have to take it off, so get a new one and start your countdown until the next one, from a clean slate.

There's a thread about this sort of thing somewhere on here. Someone mentioned basically how a timing belt is good for 60,000 miles. Taking the belt off doesn't automatically make it bad or put 50,000 miles on it. Anyway, if it's in decent condition and has low miles on it, it should be fine to re-use. However, if you have the money, I would just replace it.

Catch 22 , if it shows no signs of wear or damage you could reuse it . But you would prob kick yourself if it failed and you didn't replace it when you had the chance .

If the timing belt shows no bamage, frayed edges, or the groove from the long oil pan bolt and has not been oil soaked from leaking cam seals, front case, front crank seals.

And it is a good quality belt to start, Gates, OE, some Kevlar blue belt.

And you are not running super high spring pressures

You should be fine running the belt.

This is my opinion on it. Re-use it if it isn't damaged.

the manual calls for an inspection procedure, if it all checks out you are perfectly fine by reusing it. no sense in replacing a new part just because you got in there again.

some may say to replace it anyways just because its a difficult task to access and if you are there minus well knock it out to get that out of the way.

same concept when changing your oil, mitsubishi recommends changing your oil every 3k but the oil filter at 6k but since you are at it already you always change both at the same time.

basically you can change your belt if you want, and you dont have to if you do not want to.

New belt's $22. Don't.
Heard that "Contitech" belts are one of the better ones to use that even Mitsu contracts Continental to make the belts for them since Contitech is the stock belt for European vehicles.

... unless these "Ebone" belts are factory rejects that didn't pass QA and had a 'Contitech' name printed on the belt itself.

I've reused belts due to other maintenance issues where I had to remove them and never had any problems .. as mentioned-being not frayed, fabric cracks, rubber hardness and similar.

Kinda looks like this belt issue can really go "over the top" where it's really not necessary to make a big worry about.

Its really your call. I personally would buy new your going to have everything off anyway.

If it's a 1.8 then I would have no problem using it at all. If it fails no big deal, put another one on and carry on. One of the best things about the 1.8, non interference so no belt break worries other then the inconvenience factor.

Heard that "Contitech" belts are one of the better ones to use that even Mitsu contracts Continental to make the belts for them since Contitech is the stock belt for European vehicles.

... unless these "Ebone" belts are factory rejects that didn't pass QA and had a 'Contitech' name printed on the belt itself.

Not to turn this into a "what belt is better" thread, but I'm in the middle of a rebuild because of my Contitech failing on me after 2 years. The teeth stripped at the crank sprocket. I looked up other people who had this happen, and they had Contitech timing belts, too. Seemed the teeth couldn't take that much shear force. This may coincidence, but I wouldn't take the chance again.

I would inspect the belt and see what brand you have. If it is just an "OE quality" belt and not a mitsu, I'd get an oem mitsu belt from a vendor, or even a Kevlar. If money is tight, you could risk it if you so choose.

Mine, I got from the Mitsu dealer .. bonafide OEM stuff for the Laser. For my 1.8, I went with Gates along with a GMB WP and Mitsu tensioner pulley. Can't kill this 1.8 with over 200K on it. Like the Timex watch: thing keeps running and running .....et.al. - DSM

Heck Rockauto.com has stuff for really cheap. I got a gates whole timing kit with all idlers and balance shafts accessories for around $65

If you would have personally put the belt on 10k miles ago, I would say inspect it and re-use it. But since I don't trust mechanics or most the parts they put on cars (they usually go for the cheapest they can find) I would put a new timing belt on. For all you know the auto shop could have put the cheapest belt they could find on that has been sitting for years some where. Better to be safe then sorry.
Yeah I have trust issues.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back