The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Rapid ticking noise in low RPMs

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

someguyjon

Probationary Member
Mar 7, 2005
Cary, North_Carolina
I have no idea what this could be. It sounds to me like it's coming from the driver-side wheel well, or at least that side of the engine. When I tap the brakes, the sound goes away until I start rolling again. It happens when the clutch is both engaged or disengaged. I actually heard it in 5th gear today. I usually only heard it in first or second. I don't think it's from my pistons, it's too inconsistent. Is there anything that could get in the way of the tires/wheel/brake disk that could make a ticking noise?

Thanks.

tickticktickticktickticktickticktickticktick :confused:

Put in neutral and raise wheel off ground. Then check if the wheel bearing is loose or making noise by turning wheel both directions. Then push top/bottom of wheel in/out (wobble it towards opposite wheel) to check bearing play- also left/right side of wheel in/out to check bearing play. Then remove wheel and check if the pad wear indicators are rubbing against the rotor. Then check if the backing plate is bent somewhere and touching the rotor. Then if the rotor is warped. Also examine pads for damage or uneven wear.

Like luv2rallye said jack up that wheel and give it a few spins. Sounds like something real simple. Bearing is the first suspect though. I picked up a piece of debris once and it did the same thing.

It could be your brake pads moving around in the calipers. My truck's pads do the same thing. There is just a small amount of slack in there, but as the rotor turns it lifts the pad, pad hits the top of caliper, falls back down and it all starts over again. This is due to the fact that even when your foot is off the brake, the pads are still kissing the rotors.

Ends up being a click, click, click sound....hope this helps!

my cares brake pads had shims on them for the past 3 times I did my brakes. I took my car to a carwash and they had a deal oil, wash, coolant flush, and brakes for 100$, been there many times before for washing and brakes so I did em. I noticed the mech take off the shims and I asked him if I needed them, he said no these pads wont make the clicking noise. 2 days later, clicking noise. Where can I get the shims? I believe they come stock?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back