The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Ticking in higher rpms.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dthquazi1

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 18, 2003
WashingtonUS
At around 4000 rpms it get a ticking noise comming from the engine. It is around the driver side intake manifold area. I just got done with timing balt and everything. What could this noise be. It does not do it at idle.

You know how it is - Ticking? - Jeez mine makes a new noise every freaking day - But yes it could be on of the 50 or so reasons & you do need to reset ECU & Base Timing & Base idle CORRECTLY - IMO...

I always hear people talkin about resetting the ecu, how do you do this and what does it do to the car? thanks.

i had this same problem, the ticking is coming right under the timing belt cover. its crank walk don't drive on it. my mechanic thought it was something else and told me just bring it by tomorrow and i had to tow my car to his shop a couple of hours later. when it happenes it sounds like a belt snaps and the car will shut off im sure there a million post on here to explain this better just look up crankwalk,

Hows your oil pressure? sounds like lifter noise i get it sometimes, if you are sure your belt timing is fine ghange you oil and filter if you haven't lately and run it see what that does. Its sometimes the simplest things!

JStYLeZ10GsX said:
i had this same problem, the ticking is coming right under the timing belt cover. its crank walk don't drive on it. my mechanic thought it was something else and told me just bring it by tomorrow and i had to tow my car to his shop a couple of hours later. when it happenes it sounds like a belt snaps and the car will shut off im sure there a million post on here to explain this better just look up crankwalk,

I have a feeling he saw you coming a mile away.

While your fix was simple, anyone else who is having this click noise, I had it to at about 3800 to 4000 rpms in my 97 GST, don't drive it, I'm not sure what caused my engine to go, but it looks to be crankwalk. When this happens you might also notice while idling the cars oil pressure is below the average line and only finally breaks the line at 3000 rpms, I looked at everything oil pump, checked for clogs and checked to make sure I had 4 gts couldnt find a reason this was happening, even called a mechanic who told me this sounded normal don't worry about it. Well low and behold end result = need new engine on car I have had for 6 months, yay...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back