The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Quarter Master Twin Disc Clutch Install Help ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSM4LIFE-AWD

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 6, 2009
Trois-Rivieres, QC_Canada
Well I just received my QM twin disc clutch and I don't really know how to install it ... I nerver played with twin disc in the past and I got no instruction with it ... I got a Talon 1995 AWD M/T and still don't know wich flywheel bolt I need (read somewhere that the stock one where a bit too long).

How do I assemble the clutch in the cover ? You guys know the torque for the bolts ? I know I need to put the flywheel first than put the cover but a bit of help would be really appreciated.

Thanks guys

My build thread

Well I just received my QM twin disc clutch and I don't really know how to install it ... I nerver played with twin disc in the past and I got no instruction with it ... I got a Talon 1995 AWD M/T and still don't know wich flywheel bolt I need (read somewhere that the stock one where a bit too long).

How do I assemble the clutch in the cover ? You guys know the torque for the bolts ? I know I need to put the flywheel first than put the cover but a bit of help would be really appreciated.

Thanks guys

My build thread

The stock flywheel bolts is what i used, they will work fine!!
One of the disc's should say flywheel side, and the other one should say pressure plate side, and the floater disc is in the center..
I think i torqued mine at 22 foot lbs!!

Which flywheel are you using? A Quarter Master one, or a Power Train Technologies one? Have you measured the flange thickness of the flywheel? Then, also measure the amount of thread depth you have in your crank flange. These two measurements should be done to confirm that you are using the proper flywheel bolt for your application.

There are several flywheels on the market that have different flange thicknesses, resulting in customers having the wrong flywheel bolts for their application, as there is the potential to have too long of flywheel bolts that will bottom out in your crank, and not tighten the flywheel. This measurement is important to do, as you want to have the proper length flywheel bolts to maximize the engagement of the flywheel bolts, along with torquing them to the proper torque specification with Loctite Red threadlocker.

Check out this thread for bolt lengths, part numbers, measuring advice, etc.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/drivetrain-tech/266455-ptt-twin-disk-flywheel-bolts.html

As for the install, you will install your flywheel and torque the proper flywheel bolts in a star-pattern with 100 ft/lb torque spec. Then, you will take the rest of the clutch assembly with the clutch install tool installed, and install the flywheel-facing disk, floater, front disk, and fulcrum floater ,then clutch cover -- all in the proper order (the front and rear disks can only be assembled one way correctly where it will properly align up the entire engagement surfaces for the input shaft splines. If you need a picture, you will need to wait a bit as I am out of town.

You will take the rest of the clutch assembly with the clutch alignment tool installed and place it up on the flywheel and hand-thread in the clutch cover bolts to get it to hold on. Then make sure you keep hand pressure on the alignment tool and hand-tighten the clutch cover evenly in a star-pattern using a 1/2" socket and 3/8" ratchet. Be sure to do this evenly. After all the bolts are hand tightened, you will then follow a torque specification around 18-22 ft/lb and you can use Loctite Red on these bolts as well -- it doesn't hurt.

Now, pull out the alignment tool and visually inspect that your clutch disks are evenly centered in the assembly; the floater disks don't move laterally as they are machined to fit the clutch cover posts.

You will also need the clutch fork properly clearanced -- this requires grinding to make it clearance the clutch cover and will then properly engage/disengage the clutch without hitting the clutch cover. If you purchased the clutch fork with the clutch and it is already grinded down to fit, you will be just fine.

Use a Mitsubishi OEM throwout bearing, slave cylinder, and master cylinder. You do not need an aftermarket slave cylinder or an Isuzu one; that is only used with the PTT twin-disk because of its thinner design that is 0.1"-thinne (disk thickness are 0.200" for PTT disks, and QM Rally disks are 0.250" thick).

Well stock bolts are too long to work with a QM flywheel by 1/16 or so ! :notgood:

Stock bolts are M12 x 20.8mm long (1995 7bolts manual) and I found on the other thread that MD952233 (for 6 bolts) are M12 x 17mm long so i need to order new bolts to make it work.

What you believe there is no difference ? Damn I have the flywheel in my hand 2sec ago and no the stock bolts dont work they are too long. Im talking the bolts that goes into the crank !

Well the MD952233 are for a flex plate so I believe theres a difference between AT and MT bolts ...

Thanks will order some MD952233 to make it work. :D

What flywheel do you have? I used the stock 6bolt bolts with a A/t spacer.. The A/T bolts are to small on my flywheel, only like 5 threads stick out past the flywheel..

Give me a min, and i will take some pics of my flywheel and bolts!!

Stock 6bolt flywheel bolts, and 6bolt A/T spacer.. This is what shep him self gave me, and works perfect!!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Thanks TalonDave.

Now the flywheel is on and it seems that my clutch cover would not clear on the flywheel ... When I put the pressure plate, clutch disc, floater plate and clutch disc, the assembly is at the same high like the cover. Do you get the 100'' by tightening the clutch cover ? I dont think so ...

Please help me

Torque them down you'll be good. It will tighten down to the flywheel.

Bringing it up from the dead, but question on that. My torque wrench doesn't go below 50 ft/lbs. I am trying to guage it for time being installing the clutch cover bolts. So if I am correct, I will tighten it down so that the clutch cover assembly is flush with the flywheel? no gap or anything? That's about how tight it will go with a 3/8 ratchet. I tighten the flywheel bolts to spec but now on clutch assembly.

Thanks

Please tighten them to their torque specification of 22-24 ft/lbs with an accurate torque wrench. Tighten the six fasteners in equal amounts at a time in a star-pattern to ensure equal tightening of the fasteners. Be sure to confirm that your clutch disks are perfectly centered when tightening the clutch cover, otherwise you will have issues with installing your transmission.

In this case, either go borrow a friend's torque wrench, or go and purchase the tool for the job.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back