The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Plastidipped my car.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yep. A lot of cars are already using plastidip like product on things like door frames and door handles since its more resistant to chipping or scratching. I know on my 2010 kia forte the window trim on the doors is either a wrap or a plastidip style spray on.

Only issue is you don't have to wax it :hellyeah:

This morning I went out and got the car ready for prep and paint on monday

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

As soon as the weather gets warm I think I'm going to pull out most of my interior pieces and spray them with this plastidip stuff. Some of my rear plastic panels have surface damage from the sun, that's always bothered me. I already like how my door jam covers came out.

Was thinking when I paint my bay how long of a set up time should i give it before I start to mess with it?

Dirt really doesn't stick that bad but watch out what you touch the surface with. Like working on your car don't touch the paint with dirty or greasy hands. Ask how I know.

Was thinking when I paint my bay how long of a set up time should i give it before I start to mess with it?

I've been curious to hear about plastidiping the engine bay, but was worried about chemicals... What's the story about touching the paint with dirty or greasy hands?

Do you mean like touch it or before you can pull the tape?

I've been curious to hear about plastidiping the engine bay, but was worried about chemicals... What's the story about touching the paint with dirty or greasy hands?

Don't touch it with dirty or greasy hands. Youll leave prints and marks on the paint that won't come off unless you respray it.

Don't touch it with dirty or greasy hands. Youll leave prints and marks on the paint that won't come off unless you respray it.

is that because of the rough surface you cant get the oil out of the imperfections in the paint? if so its the same with flat black paint. Use a wax and grease remover and it should take care of it.

I've been curious to hear about plastidiping the engine bay, but was worried about chemicals... What's the story about touching the paint with dirty or greasy hands

Ill be posting a ton of pics as I do it. And since im doing it in white we will find out how long it holds up to oil and chemicals since I still have to reinstall everything after I paint the bay.

I just did my hood with it. I laid down about 6 medium coats and it turned out pretty good. For a quick cover I think this is a great option.

I also did my ashtray and some little parts of the interior, they look really really good. It almost matches up with factory black. I'm very pleased with the results.

I plan on doing more of the car, so I'll post the pics in this thread when it's done. I get really lazy doing it though, it's very time consuming. The end result is worth it though. ;)

today I lightly scuffed the entire bay with 400 grit and started to degrease it.

ill be posting lots of pics of the white in the next few weeks. Tomorrow im hopeing to do the engine bay and prob the fenders.

I have a white and black panda so ill show how close it is to a stock white also.

well here is the review of the white plasti dip. IT SUCKS. I have done 5 heavy coats and you can still see spots that I sanded down to primer. It is almost clear vs being white so it doesn't cover anything. It runs like water and the nozzles get clogged. I also found that some of the cans the nozzles like to leak and cause drips everywhere. The only good part is that it seems like high temp primer covers it and doesn't cause any issues so ill be able to paint over it.

The only reason I even tried this was because the previous owner had a vented catch can and it discolored some of the firewall and one strut tower. It couldnt even manage to cover the slight yellowing with 5 heavy coats. The coverage out of one can is about the firewall and one side of the engine bay.

I have to say for anyone thinking about the white save the money and just buy white spray cans. This stuff is garbage in white.

Well white is out of the question now. Still just waiting on a review for red. Its too cold to try it here. I just want to be able to sand down some of this rust and paint the engine bay red for now. Clear coat it. Then maybe the rest of the car if it turns out ok

hear are a series of pics showing how badly the white coated the car.

this is one coat

2nd coat

3rd coat

coat 4

after this I did one more coat and then I got pissed and coated it with rustoleum high temp primer and painted it high temp flat white

this might sound stupid but does the clutch reservoir and brake booster thingy just unbolt right out ? im gonna paint my bay

yea the booster unbolts from the inside with 4 m12 nuts. and you have to disconnect the rod that goes to the brake pedal

just undercoated my engine compartment black with that undercoat rubber professional spray from walmart costs $ 7 a can and i used 8 of them it looks good i think of course it was red like the rest of the car is and i hate the color red.

I am going to be painting my evo8 wheels i just picked up to match the car...will be posting pics once its done.

For the people that don't know what they look like...

I just picked up a can of it and painted a BBS RX wheel I have (plan on doing the whole set) but I was hoping it would help cover up a little of scuffing that was left behind from a wire wheel that I used previously. I hoped it would "fill" a little better, it does some but not enough for my specific wheel. Oh well, I love the look. I also think I'll try the non spray version on the next wheel as its hard to get in small areas without overspraying it super thick on others.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back