The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Piston End Width on rods

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lilslmj

5+ Year Contributor
Feb 8, 2018
Berwick, Pennsylvania
Hopefully this is the right area to post this but I have a set of older Brian Crower Billet I Beam rods and the PE width is 1.038. Now the new Brian Crower rods have a PE width of .900. With mine being wider will I have issues finding pistons to fit these rods? I cant find any specs online of aftermarket forged piston rod openings. Only ones I found where Wiseco 1400hd says must have a PE width no wider the 1" so my rods wouldn't work with these without custom machine work. But what about other companies like manley or such?

I'm currently looking at a set of UEM Icon Elite pistons but not sure they'll work. I know I can just have the PE machined but would prefer to keep as much rigidity and support as I can.

And I know 6 bolts have a wider PE so will I have to run a 1g piston? I've been into dsm for about 20 years but I just now noticed this so it has me thinking.

Thanks in advance for any helpful info.

Attachments

• IMG_20210121_154815_130.jpg
    IMG_20210121_154815_130.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 23
Hopefully this is the right area to post this but I have a set of older Brian Crower Billet I Beam rods and the PE width is 1.038. Now the new Brian Crower rods have a PE width of .900. With mine being wider will I have issues finding pistons to fit these rods? I cant find any specs online of aftermarket forged piston rod openings. Only ones I found where Wiseco 1400hd says must have a PE width no wider the 1" so my rods wouldn't work with these without custom machine work. But what about other companies like manley or such?

I'm currently looking at a set of UEM Icon Elite pistons but not sure they'll work. I know I can just have the PE machined but would prefer to keep as much rigidity and support as I can.

And I know 6 bolts have a wider PE so will I have to run a 1g piston? I've been into dsm for about 20 years but I just now noticed this so it has me thinking.

Thanks in advance for any helpful info.
Yes all the latest BC rods have .90 PE width. But I don't think you would have an issue with most of off the shelf piston kits in the market. Actually .90 PE width is kinda rare I think.
Many off the shelf rods have approx. 1.038 PE width like yours, such as Eagle's, Manley's and those don't have any fitment issue with most of piston kits.
And right, some Wiseco kits require the PE width less than 1" but not all model. Actually I had run those Wiseco pistons with Manley TT I-Beam rods without machining the PE, the Manley TT have approx. 1.038" PE width. IIRC I had more than .60" clearance like the pic below. If you are worried, I recommend to contact the piston manufacturer to confirm the spec before purchasing.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Yes all the latest BC rods have .90 PE width. But I don't think you would have an issue with most of off the shelf piston kits in the market. Actually .90 PE width is kinda rare I think.
Many off the shelf rods have approx. 1.038 PE width like yours, such as Eagle's, Manley's and those don't have any fitment issue with most of piston kits.
And right, some Wiseco kits require the PE width less than 1" but not all model. But actually I had run those Wiseco pistons with Manley TT I-Beam rods without machining the PE, the Manley TT have approx. 1.038" PE width. IIRC I had more than .60" clearance like the pic below. If you are worried, I recommend to contact the piston manufacturer to confirm the spec before purchasing.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
Ok I kinda figured I wouldn't have an issue but just wanted to double check with fellow dsmers. My machinist isn't sport compact savy but is pretty reputable in the area. He's the one who pointed this out to me and I told him I'd do some research and find out for sure. Ill be assembling the engine myself but have him doing the machine work and ordering parts like pistons and checking over clearances for the pins.
Thanks for the quick reply I actually just finished going thru your post of part numbers trying to get some more info on specs. Very useful thread. Thanks.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back