1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

420A P0401 after cleaning egr

Posted by 609DSM, Dec 15, 2019

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. 609DSM

609DSM Proven Member

Joined Aug 13, 2019
    Princeton, New Jersey
    So I cleaned my egr pretty darn well after this code popped up, engine ran way better at idle and low rpm for about 25 miles. Now it's back to rough idle and surging and the code is back after about 60 miles from cleaning the egr. Not sure if its stuck closed or there is still more carbon I didnt get out... any ideas?

Street Build 223  1

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  2. KYLE JORGENSEN

KYLE JORGENSEN Proven Member

Joined Sep 22, 2018
    SPOKANE VALLEY, Washington
    it probably built more carbon in it or at least enough to re clog it or like you said stuck closed,

just do EGR delete plate's and put it back on when you need to do a emissions test again (every 2 years) the EGR was only added for the environmental stand point for reducing the cars carbon footprint but
    having all that carbon and hot air getting pushed back into the intake manifold is a big NO-NO

Street Build 825  20

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    609DSM likes this.
  3. 609DSM

609DSM Proven Member

Joined Aug 13, 2019
    Princeton, New Jersey
    I was thinking of doing the soda can block off trick. It's just annoying and I'm not entirely sure it's the only thing causing my rough idle, but man after I cleaned that thing it was nice and smooth and purring. Maybe I didnt clean the valve well enough.

Street Build 223  1

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  4. BLACK'98DSM

BLACK'98DSM Proven Member

Joined Feb 9, 2019
    Hoover, Alabama
    You can buy block off plates on Ebay for $9 and free shipping.

If you wanted to get really technical about it, it is recommended that you don't delete the egr, because those recirculated exhaust gases help to keep the cylinder temps down.

But I've had mine deleted for a week now with zero temp issues and zero worries. If you don't want to see the CEL all the time try keeping the connector and going with a resistor

Road Race Build 2K  23

fwd · manual · 2G DSM

492  5

2012 Murray Explorer Dune
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

387  4

2009 Troy Bilt Bronco
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles
    KYLE JORGENSEN likes this.