The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Oil leak/spray

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawson159

5+ Year Contributor
Nov 13, 2017
Billings, Montana
My car has had an oil leak since I bought it. it drips three drops right underneath the oil pump/oil filter housing area but it also sprays all over under the car. It sprays on my intercooler piping the bottom of turbo, all over the oil pan, etc it has progressively gotten worse and now it makes three small puddles and it obviously drips when I’m driving too so I’m going through a lot of oil.
I did some research and it might be coming from the oil filter housing o ring but would it be spraying all over everything like I explained?
What item in that area of the engine bay could potentially spray oil everywhere?

Might be cam seals or valve cover neat the cam seals leaking (common) and then it drips and gets spread around by wind when you drive, and you could also have a leak on your turbo feed or return at the same time again blowing back all over your cars undercarriage. A black light with some oil dye after a good degreasing at the car wash should show you where its coming from easily enough.

Best thing you can do is put the car on jack stands, and wipe down everything underneath before you drive the car again, it’s hard to know where the leak is when everything is covered in oil. After driving or may be even idling shine a light and check for leaks, you might have more than one, I just replaced my leaky oil pan which I procrastinated on all year, it’s a pain but once you find the leak and fix it it’s worth the hassle. Obviously if you drive this regularly keep an eye on your oil level knowing you have a leak:thumb:

If you dont know the service history, you may want to consider the full timing belt service these cars require and all of the seals in the timing case. Make sure your timing belt isnt soaked in oil at the very least. Cam seals, oil pump shaft seal, ballance shaft seal, crank seal, any of these failing results in oil where you definitely dont want it, and they will fail eventually if they are not changed when they are supposed to be.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back