The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

'90 6bolt oil leak. Somewhere near the oil filter housing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PewPew90Laser

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 8, 2010
Beaverton, Oregon
I replaced the timing belt, and all the front seals. I also replaced the oil pan gasket twice and oil filter housing+gasket.

Somewhere on the front of the block on the left corner it's leaking oil. It's coming down the corner of the pan but the leak looks like it's coming somewhere around the front case. I didn't RTV any bolts or loctite any of the bolts and really doubt they would be leaking.

How likely is the front case to leak?

Check the right front corner of your valve cover. A leak there will feed straight down to the area you're describing.

Your problem is that you used an oil pan gasket. Those things NEVER seal correctly. That's why the 4G63 didn't come with one from the factory. Use a good amt. of RTV instead.

Have you checked your oil pessure sending unit?
Might not be screwed in all the way.

What you need to do is spray down and clean the front case and anywhere else the oil is accumulating at. There are a few places it can leak from that side. Valve cover, cam seals, crank seal, oil pump seal. There is a bolt located on the front case that goes into an oil passage and that is required to have a thread sealant on it for a leak free install. Also, the castle plug will leak if it's not sealing properly due to oil flow behind it.

Check the right front corner of your valve cover. A leak there will feed straight down to the area you're describing.
meh I just replaced that. I'll go over it with some RTV to be sure.
Your problem is that you used an oil pan gasket. Those things NEVER seal correctly. That's why the 4G63 didn't come with one from the factory. Use a good amt. of RTV instead.
The problem is I did use a gasket? Oh no, fear the OEM parts! Yes I did and I slathered grey rtv until I was sticky with lust.
Have you checked your oil pessure sending unit?
Might not be screwed in all the way.
Yep and it's fine, RTV'ed the hell out of that one since the last one broke my oil filter housing.
What you need to do is spray down and clean the front case and anywhere else the oil is accumulating at. There are a few places it can leak from that side. Valve cover, cam seals, crank seal, oil pump seal. There is a bolt located on the front case that goes into an oil passage and that is required to have a thread sealant on it for a leak free install. Also, the castle plug will leak if it's not sealing properly due to oil flow behind it.
Oil is accumulating at the balance shaft belt tensioner and front main seal, underneath the two are two wells that form. It's a perfect reservoir for fallen oil.
Can you shoot me a diagram with a pointer of the victim unthread sealed bolt for the front case and castle nut?

Thanks you guys

Well.....when you find a Mitsu part number for that 4G63 oil pan gasket, you let me know. :thumb:

This is easier and works fine, just fine. There's no reason not to use a gasket especially when there are interference issues with pan bolts and timing belt. This gasket helps take up space for that bolt to properly torque. Using a tube of permatex to make a gasket is a poor person thing to do. It needs rtv on it to seal properly due to minor imperfections from different material mating surfaces between the front case and block.
Let me google that for you

I didn't say an oil pan gasket didn't exist, smartass. I'm saying the 4G63 didn't come with one from the factory. But, you keep thinking you can build it better than the engineers at Mitsu can.

I used a pan gasket for my last build and had zero issues, it was daily driven and had about 30,000 miles on it until I pulled it apart. I used one this build as well with no problem so far.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back