The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Official Bench Racing Thread (how fast is my car/how much HP can I expect)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

is asking for a rough estimate for my hp/torque considered bench racing? If so then sorry,

I'm currently running at 16 psi,

And maybe you guys are right, I can't get a rough estimate with just the forums, I guess I'll just have to dyno it

Again, sorry

edit:

last owner estimated it on having about more or less 300 hp

I'm in the process of finishing my 4g64 build. . But I'm getting unpatient. So I need you guys to let me know what you think it will put down. Its a 2.4 with eagle h beams, wiesco pistons, 1g head ported, 280 cams, fidanza cam gears, 680cc injectors, aem fuel rail, fuel reg, 255 fuel pump, 16g turbo, fidanza flywheel, stage 2 clutch, ecmlink v3 lite. Ook well I know ill probably need bigger turbo and injectors to find its full potiential. But one other question is how much boost could I safely run on this setup and what size injectors would I need to support that much boost. Thanks guys.:hellyeah:

It's hard to say exactly how much power you will actually make. It all depends on how good of a tune you get and how much boost you will be running. If I were to guess I would say you could get between 300-325 whp, but your injectors are gonna sorta limit the amount of boost you can run, but I could be completely wrong.

I'm getting my head worked and having Crower 272 cams installed, recommended valve springs for the cams, and new lifters to eliminate ticking. I'm wondering what if any horsepower gain will I get from the cams?

Last edited:
Dyno it and find out :p

You won't maximize your cams unless you get adjustable gears to find your true TDC and then figure out where the power gains are at with adjusting +/- from that 0 point.

Dyno it and find out :p

You won't maximize your cams unless you get adjustable gears to find your true TDC and then figure out where the power gains are at with adjusting +/- from that 0 point.

ok cool, thanks for your input. I was looking at adjustable cam gears already! now that i know i need them to fine tune the car ill go ahead and order them!

720cc
hks 272s
big 16g
dsmlink v3
gm maft
vr speed fmic
act 2100
wally 255
3in turbo back no cat
aftermarket headed

with a tune how much all these parts are currently just sitting in my car with a bad wally,another one on the way though

I have a 98 gst all stock with turbo if I were to take it to the track ### time should it run about? Ot has 129k miles on it and only a catback system?

Probably high 14s-15s depending on how much experience you have at the track and all that

Ok cool. And I have a td05 turbo sitting at my house what all do I need to do before I properly install it and make it run like a beast?

Asking what a STOCK car is supposed to run is not bench racing. Almost every manufacturer documents 0-60 and 1/4 times on the sporty/muscle car modles. Does that mean bench racing by the manufacturer? Were talking base line here. Not "what will these mods do for my 1/4."

Oh, I didn't realize cars came STOCK from the manufacturer 13 years old with 129,000 miles on them. :notgood: Who knows what kind of condition its in, how much compression it's holding, or how well it was cared for or abused its been. Not much of a baseline is it.

Hence why I said assuming it is in good shape mechanically. Just remember. If we continually respond to new folks in the manner that I see constantly here lately. Were going to drive off the newer inexperienced folks. We will get a reputation similar to other car forums that were too good to help the new guys or were all just a bunch of cocky a$$ hats. I know your a wiseman so im not gonna reply any further.

Hence why I said assuming it is in good shape mechanically. Just remember. If we continually respond to new folks in the manner that I see constantly here lately. Were going to drive off the newer inexperienced folks. We will get a reputation similar to other car forums that were too good to help the new guys or were all just a bunch of cocky a$$ hats. I know your a wiseman so im not gonna reply any further.

If he had asked what a STOCK Eclipse GST was rated by the manufacturer to run in the 1/4 mile when it rolled out of the factory, thats one thing. That's a legitimate question with an answer. But thats not what he asked so I referred him to the proper thread for asking questions like he did.

I'm a huge proponent of helping both new members and old members alike. If he had asked a tech question, I would have been more then willing to answer him if I knew the answer or gone out of my way to look it up if I didn't. But I'm not going to guess what kind of condition his car is in or what type of a driver he is and therefore what it would run in the 1/4 mile.

I'll leave you with this parting quote regarding the OP's question:

I wouldn't mind if people used a canned reply like the one you were about to type Paul... We could even have members copy and paste it. Something like:

"There are way too many variables involved that prevent us from being able to accurately determine the data you're looking for. The members of this site strongly suggest taking it to the track or the dyno instead of having people here make random guesses."

Then report the thread.

:D

My friend today was telling me how his dad is working on a chevy cobalt ss but the tranny is blown again, so he said the owner wants to sell it for 10,000$. "Of course it will beat your talon because its supercharged", he said. I laughed and said go for it. So if he does it we will be heading over to the sycamore race strip to see. He said it has a wing and carbon fiber parts:D so its fast and a 30 psi gauge.
Its all stock otherwise. My talon has fmic, hard piping, 14b set at 15psi, safc, all gauges, and all other supporting mods. Who do u think will win? :confused:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back