The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

obx lsd [Merged 5-7] limited slip phantom grip

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nazthug

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 24, 2003
livermore, California
Hey guys, well i talked to obx a few times and it looks like they are scheduled for a release in the end of january

If you didnt know, they make lsd's for acuras and hondas already, been for a while.

I have researched this and they have had all positive feedback so far and everyone that has them, likes them

There is a main guy on there, who is making 536whp and runs 10s and has one, and i just found out he is a local guy to me who we meet up with regularly on the weekends for cruising/racing, i just didnt know he was running one.

He has over 12000 miles on it, 80 passes, on slicks. I spoke with him and so far he has good feedback, he has broken driveshafts and 3 times he broke 3rd gear, but the diff is still chuggin along, so it seems like a good product.

This diff looks identical to the quaife and looks and feels just as beefy. There are dozens of honda guys already running them and no one has had a problem yet, and i have seen this guy at the track a few times and he drives hard.

Launches near redline, on 24.5 slicks off the bottle, on which he makes a bit over 600whp, runs consistently in the 10.7s at over 135mph

Dave at obx says they are looking to have it done at the end of juanuary

I only became interested because i am in a group buy for this lsd for my 99 neon ACR road race car, since they are starting to make them for 95-99 neons as well, and i needed a cheaper alternative to the pricey quaife.

There are over 60 of us in the group buy.

The honda guys get these lsd's for a tad under $400 so this is almost 1/3 the price of the quaife.

Some people question the quality because of the price, so far i have read nothing but good feedback.

You must also remember, quaife USA has to buy lsd's from quaife Europe, so its going through 2 middle men, its like they are not the same company. This is why quaifes for european cars, IN europe are much cheaper, i know, i am in europe now.

The quality of the obx lsd's seems to be good from what i hear, they are made from forged chromoly steel and they are outsourced to companies who are in the differential business, so its not like obx makes them inhouse

I just wanted to post this and see what kind of feedback we can get...us FWD people need some sort of way to put traction down, and most of us are too scared to run slicks on a stock diff....so this kind of info is always good to hear :thumb:

great! i've been looking for these for DSM's since they came out and made quite the scene in the honda world

btw, the honda guy is now building a second block, a dart block, aiming for the 9's

I have videos and specs on his car for those who would like to see, its pretty badass...its a 99 hatch swap/turbo/nitrous, very impressive

I am hoping the release date is going to be accurate. I will have one in the neon as well before i hope, and it will get plenty of abuse too.

If i get any updates, i will post them. So far i just wanted to let you guys knows and see what the interest is like in these.

They are a helical gear lsd just like the quaife btw.

I'm very interested, please keep us updated! If I can find a reasonably priced way to put the power to the ground, then I can justify doing more power mods! :thumb: without traction, there's not much of a point in any more go-fast goodies... If the OBX lsd is all we are hoping for, I'm sure it will be a hot seller!

i read somewhere on honda tech where someone tool one apart and it was built very poorly

nazthug said:
You must also remember, quaife USA has to buy lsd's from quaife Europe, so its going through 2 middle men, its like they are not the same company. This is why quaifes for european cars, IN europe are much cheaper, i know, i am in europe now.

I hope the OBX product is nice, but I dont think that 2 middle men would account for a $800 difference in price. Especially considering that the KAAZ sells for $twice the OBX unit.

There is a reason its cheaper. I dont know what it is, but I would like to know. I suppose if it worx well, it worx well, right?

Alot of the honda guys are lovin it over at H-T.com

A Honda doesn't make enough torque to break one, that's why they love em. I'd be afraid to put one in my car, it'll probably snap within the first couple launches. A 600hp Honda probably makes 300tq, I make more then that on my 14B at 12psi, LOL. I'll either buy a el cheapo SBR insert or a Quiafe, not some cheap knock off of a Quaife. OBX makes cheap products and everybody knows this, it's nothing new.

ryanman said:
OBX makes cheap products and everybody knows this, it's nothing new.

At the very least, severe skepticism is warranted.

Agreed but I also think we need a danm link so we can make our own judgements.

:rolleyes: I dont want a group buy I just want a link so i could buy it myself.

Sorry guys just want the info.................... ;)

I love you guys and your "if it doesn't cost too much it is worthless" idea for cars..

Do you really think it costs quaife anywhere near 1,000 to prduce the LSD for our cars. Hell no, you know why they are so expensive? because they basically have a monopoly on the market. If you think quaife is god. ask AWD people if they have broke a quaife? I know a friend who broke 3!!!!!!!! and took TRE trannies out with them!!!!!!!!

Back in my s-10 days I bought a LSD unit for it for $89 yes a complete differential for $89!!!! it was strong enough to hold up to LS1 powered cars just fine. there is no real difference in a diff for a RWD domestic, and a fwd they are made the same way, mounted basically in the same fashoin, etc..

So what if the OBX is $400, good I am glad there is a company that is ready to start selling parts cheaper that is the same quality.

and when a honda is built and boosted it creates some nice torque just like ours. My friends Dart blocked hatch made ...... 414whp & 376wtq. @ 20psi. so that 600whp honda could have 500+ wtq as well...

OMG E-mailed some ppl through e-bay and have not received a response.

Wich brings me back here ,,,,,,,,I would like to see a link So I can determine if this obx lsd for the 90-99 dsm is worth me buying.

Or a telephone number I could use to contact these guys .

It's the end of january so wheres this info at?????????????????????????? :confused:

Thread starter c-mon wheres the link. ;)

yeah my tranny is apart right now and I am trying to hold out as long as possible. A local shop called obx and they said that they are not available for our cars right now. If anyone knows otherwise tell me asap. I dont want to drop a grand on a lsd if I dont have to

:rolleyes: I pm-ed the thread starter various times but he/she seems not to want to repond to me ,why I really dont know?

If you dont have any info just post it up and let others know ,I personally havnt been able to get anywhere with obx answereing my e-mails through e-bay.

I will post this up for a group buy but on a totally different forum.
I would just like to buy myself an lsd unit without having to donate an arm and a leg.

Why is it so hard for ppl to just post a danm link or contact number?

In one week I will start call bs . :mad:

:thumb: Thanx for a link , but unfortunately it's a link to the wrong company.

Even though their are many different companies that are offering lsd upgrades for the dsm's I would much rather prrefer not to pay that much.

The reason being as to why im so edgy over this lsd is because it's going to be a hell of alot cheaper then any other lsd units on the market.

I dont care if it's copied or bootlegged from quafie or whomever aslong as it works. And if their lsd units are working for the road race group over at the honda camp then I want one bad like yesterday.

Im pretty shure im not the only one thinking the same thing.

Hmm who knows they might even make a center replacement too. OMG

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back