The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Nys emissions and maybe other states

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay_gst97

Probationary Member
Aug 15, 2019
Ellenville, New_York
Hey guys I'm new to the forums but I been searching here for the last few weeks to figure out some problems I was having with my 97 gst not being able to get the monitors ready for inspection.
So j live in NY which most of u know is hell for our emissions inspection.
I have been a licensed inspector for years and could not understand at first why my car would not ready up 5 monitors.
So long story short I just wanted to do this write to hopefully help or clear some things up for some of the other newer dsm guys
First off I checked fuses,relays and then continued to check the 2 main power supplys at the ecu and then checked the back up power to make sure it was 12v even with the key off I recommend doin this first incase u have lost power somewhere wasn't my problem. I did replace my alternator because of low voltage at the ecu which now is fixed .ok so I drove 1600 miles and still no cel and no monitors were complete I drove to my job plugged it into the nys inspection machine and it passed with flying colors so I want to let u guys in NY know the inspection machine is updated for these year cars and it will pass as long as u have no cel regardless of the readiness monitors figured it be some good info for someone thanks

The majority of 2gs are exempt from emissions readiness. It is nation wide, not just in NY.

I did in fact read that but could not find it on the nys dmv website nor did anyone I talk to there know anything about and when I called the mitsu dealer they all denied that being true so I went ahead and tested it first hand myself

Hey guys I'm new to the forums but I been searching here for the last few weeks to figure out some problems I was having with my 97 gst not being able to get the monitors ready for inspection.
So j live in NY which most of u know is hell for our emissions inspection.
I have been a licensed inspector for years and could not understand at first why my car would not ready up 5 monitors.
So long story short I just wanted to do this write to hopefully help or clear some things up for some of the other newer dsm guys
First off I checked fuses,relays and then continued to check the 2 main power supplys at the ecu and then checked the back up power to make sure it was 12v even with the key off I recommend doin this first incase u have lost power somewhere wasn't my problem. I did replace my alternator because of low voltage at the ecu which now is fixed .ok so I drove 1600 miles and still no cel and no monitors were complete I drove to my job plugged it into the nys inspection machine and it passed with flying colors so I want to let u guys in NY know the inspection machine is updated for these year cars and it will pass as long as u have no cel regardless of the readiness monitors figured it be some good info for someone thanks

They must have changed requirements to pass. I worked as a service advisor for over a decade ~15+ years ago. Back then you could not have more than 2 or 3 incomplete monitors, it was an automatic fail. This was in nj, not ny but IIRC it was very similar.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back