1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Nys emissions and maybe other states

Posted by Jay_gst97, Aug 15, 2019

Tags:
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication
  1. Jay_gst97

Jay_gst97 Probationary Member

Joined Aug 15, 2019
    Ellenville, New York
    Hey guys I'm new to the forums but I been searching here for the last few weeks to figure out some problems I was having with my 97 gst not being able to get the monitors ready for inspection.
    So j live in NY which most of u know is hell for our emissions inspection.
    I have been a licensed inspector for years and could not understand at first why my car would not ready up 5 monitors.
    So long story short I just wanted to do this write to hopefully help or clear some things up for some of the other newer dsm guys
    First off I checked fuses,relays and then continued to check the 2 main power supplys at the ecu and then checked the back up power to make sure it was 12v even with the key off I recommend doin this first incase u have lost power somewhere wasn't my problem. I did replace my alternator because of low voltage at the ecu which now is fixed .ok so I drove 1600 miles and still no cel and no monitors were complete I drove to my job plugged it into the nys inspection machine and it passed with flying colors so I want to let u guys in NY know the inspection machine is updated for these year cars and it will pass as long as u have no cel regardless of the readiness monitors figured it be some good info for someone thanks

Street Build 164  1

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    ThunderChild likes this.
  2. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Supporting VIP

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    I'm nowhere near there, but that's awesome new for NY State members!

Thanks for posting the info!

Street Build 206  3

1990 Plymouth Laser N/T
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM

288  8

1987 Toyota Pickup/Hilux
    awd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 840  7

fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 1K  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 2K  10

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  3. Mello

Mello Proven Member

Joined Jul 4, 2003
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  4. Jay_gst97

Joined Aug 15, 2019
    Ellenville, New York
    Yes I figured it's some useful info up here in NY if there's any guys in NY that were driving themselves crazy like I was

Street Build 164  1

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  5. lasthope05

lasthope05 Proven Member

Joined Mar 31, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    The majority of 2gs are exempt from emissions readiness. It is nation wide, not just in NY.

6. Jay_gst97

Joined Aug 15, 2019
    Ellenville, New York
    I did in fact read that but could not find it on the nys dmv website nor did anyone I talk to there know anything about and when I called the mitsu dealer they all denied that being true so I went ahead and tested it first hand myself

Street Build 164  1

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  7. tk106

tk106 Supporting Member

Joined Sep 11, 2017
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    They must have changed requirements to pass. I worked as a service advisor for over a decade ~15+ years ago. Back then you could not have more than 2 or 3 incomplete monitors, it was an automatic fail. This was in nj, not ny but IIRC it was very similar.

123  3

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Classic
    awd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

120  4

93 Civic 4 Door -sold-
    fwd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 2K  6

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.625 @ 111.42 · 1G DSM
  8. Jay_gst97

Joined Aug 15, 2019
    Ellenville, New York
    Yes it is still infact 2 Inc u will pass here but they must of finally updated our system for these vehicles

Street Build 164  1

fwd · manual · 2G DSM