The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G NRG Steering Setup w/Working Horn Wiring (Pictures)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This article is meant to serve as a general guide to get the horn to work with an Nrg short hub or aftermarket steering wheel. Credit goes to this particular article for the idea of using a hose clamp: https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/h...ermarket-steering-wheel-using-a-clamp.373149/
Also take note of the picture from this article to see a hacksaw blade used instead of a hose clamp: https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/c...ction-with-aftermarket-steering-wheel.222394/
********Note: I will not be going over srs light or how to maintain airbags
Useful Videos:
-For disassembly//assembly of nrg setup wheel
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
-To understand the general concept of how the horn works skip to 1:15. The dude in the vid uses a paperclip instead of the hose clamp, but the same basic concept.
Disconnect Battery!!!

I'm gonna skip all the steering wheel disassembly to the part when removing the clockspring. The spring has two connectors that go under the dash, the one we want to use for our horn is white and has 3 wires: green w/ red stripe, blue, and black. Cut the connector from the clockspring leaving a decent amount of wire from the green/red wire and blue wire. The black wire will not be used so it can be cut short, covered with electrical tape, etc. If you don't want to cut up your clockspring, go to the junkyard and get yourself that one connector.

This picture above shows the cut connector

At this point, we will move on to using the hose clamp as a spring for the horn. I recently replaced my lower radiator hose and decided to use one of those hose clamps. I started by completely unscrewing the clamp and cutting the hose clamp to length using tin snips. You want to cut the solid part that doesn't have slots or find a hose clamp with a long enough section of slotted metal. You can reference the pictures to see the shape, but the general idea is to have it stationary, while also always contacting the bronze piece on the back of the short hub. The hose will be rubbing the back of the short hub so I would recommend using some Permatex Dielectric Grease to lubricate the connection. I smeared it on the hose clamp and on the entire bronze back.

Install the nrg short hub to know how much you need to bend the hose clamp. I wanted to use the factory holes where the clockspring bolted to, so I made 2 bends to make almost like an omega symbol using a vise. I placed the slotted end on the lower-left screw post, marked it with a sharpie, and drilled a hole to use the factory screw. I then drilled a second hole on the other side of the clamp to try to use a white bump as a place to hold the clamp in place. I ended up missing my mark and used a Dremel to bore/extend out the hole enough to make it over the little bump. I also managed to screw in the factory screw on the lower-right post to secure the clamp further from the right side. I put a little epoxy on the bump part for extra support, but honestly feel like the second screw does a sufficient job, especially with the white bump as a retainer point.

This picture above shows "white bump" mentioned prior

Screw and epoxy holding the clamp in place

Back to wiring: The blue wire will be extended with a butt connector or soldered and then grounded using a ring connector. The green/red wire will also be extended to reach our hose clamp. Bend a small ring connector to make an L and place it between the screw and hose clamp on the bottom-left screw post. (Drawing of Circuit Below as well as pictures of it installed). Follow the installation process for the rest of the nrg setup using common sense or the vid from the budget tuner (linked above). Make sure all the parts connect to each other, connecting the male to female connectors of each component to each other. The short hub connects to the quick release part that sticks out, while the horn button connects to the actual quick release that bolts to the steering wheel. If you find out that the horn button has 2 male spade connectors, make a female-female adapter using a small wire and 2 female spade connectors. If you find that you only have one male connector on the horn button, follow this video:

Review of basic circuit

This picture above shows the grounded blue wire (later connected with a butt connector, also ignore the messy wiring above that)

This picture above shows the bent ring connector attached to the green/red wire between the clamp and screw

Connect the battery and test :)
Hope this helps at least someone!

Last edited:
Omg dude thank you so much. I have been searching youtube and the forums and couldn't figure out how to get the horn to work which is why i havnt installed my momo yet but u save my life LOL. Thank you

Omg dude thank you so much. I have been searching youtube and the forums and couldn't figure out how to get the horn to work which is why i havnt installed my momo yet but u save my life LOL. Thank you
Np dude. I’ve actually been meaning to update the thread but I’m using a oem honda horn shoe now instead of the hose clamp. I however did run the hose clamp for a few months and worked fine especially for being basically free LOL

Bro you just keep saving me, im buying a horn shoe now cus i feel like it will he safer. Didnt even know that was a thing LOL.
Now for the ultimate question, and il praise ur name to the dsm gods LOL,
Can you tell me which plug i need to use to plug in my works bells airbag light eliminator?

I honestly don’t remember how I hooked up the dummy air bag but I do still have a few pictures of it. I think I pretty much just shortened the wires that normally go to the air bag. The one I used I got from another thread (I think) and included in the pictures is the part number (found on ebay). I also included some pictures of the horn shoe and part number. I cut the end of the horn shoe with some wire cutters but kept the hole to use the butt connector and screw. Hope it helps

I honestly don’t remember how I hooked up the dummy air bag but I do still have a few pictures of it. I think I pretty much just shortened the wires that normally go to the air bag. The one I used I got from another thread (I think) and included in the pictures is the part number (found on ebay). I also included some pictures of the horn shoe and part number. I cut the end of the horn shoe with some wire cutters but kept the hole to use the butt connector and screw. Hope it helps

I owe you a beer if we ever meet each other LOL. Thank you so much

Just an fyi, after thought. The NRG hub adapter is too thin to correctly space the wheel from the mounting nut to fit a horn cover.

So to run an aftermarket wheel you will need a spacer (not necessarily a large one) to clear the nut behind the wheel. Or a quick release adapter

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back