The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

My First 9 second pass

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwboost

Probationary Member
Jun 26, 2003
new orleans, Louisiana
Thought I'd post up a few videos of my first 9 second pass. This was done at the Import face off Baton Rouge October 3 2010. I had a few problems launching in the first 2 passes. I had the flatshift input on in the Haltech ecu. Basically the flatshift was activating as I was slipping the clutch of the line. The first pass was a 10.483 @ 144.71 The second Pass was a 10.704 @ 135.05

On the second pass the car had a real bad misfire. So we changed plugs and deactivated the flatshift. The third pass was decent. 9.992 @ 143.42 with a 1.552 60ft. I slipped the clutch a little too much as it was bouncing off the limiter for the first 20ft or so, then when I came completely off the clutch it grabbed hard and was out. Had a little ignition break up going into 3rd gear but otherwise a good run.

After looking at my datalogs I noticed the car was definately down on power. The precision intercooler is being overrun with intake temps close to 150 in the top of 4th gear. Furthermore, resulting in a 5deg drop in timing. I think if i can get the intake temps down to 120ish and keep the timing up I should pick up about 70hp or more. Also I suspect there is a bad coil causing the ignition break up.

Plans are to go with the buschur evo race intercooler, and replace the coil on plug set.
I think with some fine tuning of the car (and my driving), We should be capable of some solid 9.50-9.60 in the 150+ mph range.

YouTube - IMG_0229.MOV

YouTube - IMG_0234.MOV

My 9sec celebration video

YouTube - Talon 9 second Pass

On the last pass of the day we cut a 1.477 60ft but got I over anxious and missed 3rd gear. I looked in the rearview and was busses out on the comp so I put it in 5th and cruised for an easy win.

YouTube - IMG_0246.MOV

Good job! Congrats!

i can vouch for this car. it is not only very fast but one of the cleanest DSM's out there! I was at IFO in BR running the civic w no rear bumper, congrads man!

Thanx for the compliments. We had a great time. Now I'm ready to get back to the track. :hellyeah:

Damn....Grats from the AZ. Im sure Archie already knows. Im sure it feels a tad quicker than when I went for a ride LOL.

holy sleeper batman! i could see someone bashing you for the body kit, then getting reamed!! thats freaking awesome! sick car!

After looking at my datalogs I noticed the car was definately down on power. The precision intercooler is being overrun with intake temps close to 150 in the top of 4th gear. Furthermore, resulting in a 5deg drop in timing. I think if i can get the intake temps down to 120ish and keep the timing up I should pick up about 70hp or more. Also I suspect there is a bad coil causing the ignition break up.

First off, congrats.

I have dealt with this same situation countless times with other cars in your range.

FWIW - As long as you are not experiencing any detonation caused by the higher air temps, the difference in power by reducing air temps from 150ºF to 120ºF will only yeild you ~2% power. Assuming that you are on a good race gas or ethanol, 150ºF temps at the end of a pass in 4th gear arent really all that bad. However, the timing being pulled due to the increased temps is certainly reducing power; but this is a simple adjustment in the air temp correction tables by reducing or eliminating the timing retard as air temps go up.

The only reason to retard timing when air temps go up is if the increased temperature is causing the engine to knock.

Good luck getting to 150+! Im sure you will get there very soon.

First off, congrats.

I have dealt with this same situation countless times with other cars in your range.

FWIW - As long as you are not experiencing any detonation caused by the higher air temps, the difference in power by reducing air temps from 150ºF to 120ºF will only yeild you ~2% power. Assuming that you are on a good race gas or ethanol, 150ºF temps at the end of a pass in 4th gear arent really all that bad. However, the timing being pulled due to the increased temps is certainly reducing power; but this is a simple adjustment in the air temp correction tables by reducing or eliminating the timing retard as air temps go up.

The only reason to retard timing when air temps go up is if the increased temperature is causing the engine to knock.

Good luck getting to 150+! Im sure you will get there very soon.

awddsm95,
Thanks for the info. I was curious about what temps other people have seen when pushing their cars to this level and beyond. This is a learning curve for me. I'm using the Haltech Platinum Sport 1000 ecu and there is no knock control, however I did inspect everything after the runs and didn't see any signs of detonation. I'm using Q16
In your opinion, do you think the Buschur race core will be necessary?
It will be very simple to just adjust the air temp map to retain the timing.

Car completely built in house.

Custom transmission w/ evo 3 gearing shot peened internals welded center diff.
Boston hatcher 4th diff mount
rear subframe and diff solid bushings
Drive shaft shop 3" drive shaft
DSM Graveyard 800hp rear axle shafts
Full prothane bushing kit
KYB struts / custom spring rate Qa1 springs
Evo Wheels M/T 26" motorcycle slicks

2.3l
Eagle rods
Ross pistons
Fp 3x cams
Supertech valve train
Valve guids

Kiggly HLA

L19 headstuds
Fellpro Gasket

Precision 67mm bb t3/t4
Dnp Manifold
38mm wastegate
Venom Intake
75mm TB

Haltech Platinum sport 1000
Arc 2 cdi
1450cc injectors
Precision fmic

Congrats kel!
It was a honor to be there and help out and see you break into the single digits!!!

Is that a newer 67mm with a billet wheel or just the standard compressor. What kinda boost? and no nitrous ?

Last edited:
Is that a newer 67mm with a billet wheel or just the standard compressor. What kinda boost? and no nitrous ?

Its the old school precision 67mm. running 38-40psi. I have nitrous on the car, but these runs where turbo only. I got a 50 shot, after some seat time and when I'm feeling a little brave, I'll use it :D

Very nice run man. Clean car. Congrats!

I just recieve some footage from the stands. I will have it up soon

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back