The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Megan Racing: Updated AWD Downpipe and Catback! (3in.) Opinions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just an update as was one of the first to pick up the 1G MR turbo-back setups . I grew tired of the LOUD DRONE of the anemic N1-style muffler (as did my wife, neighbors, passengers) and the blackened bumper due to the tip not clearing the rear of the car so went and purchased an SS Vibrant 3" Inlet, (2) 2.5" Outlet muffler along with a pair of tips for $115. I expect to get a few bucks selling the N1 Style Muffler so will recoupe some of this, but still think was a good overall deal.

The rest of the MR system is still in excellent shape after nearly a year's use.

New Pics can be seen in my gallery :dsm:

How's the sound and performance with the new muffler? Is there a resonator in the system already, or have you considered putting one in?

Actually my MR turbo back system had (2) resonators already, one as the testpipe and one as part of the cat-back. I kept both of those and just replaced the muffler/tips.

FYI.. the "resonator" test-pipe made very little difference in the sound of the full MR exhaust.

With the new muffler, the sound is hella-better and honestly way more fun to drive now that it doesn't sound like a droning/popping ricer-car. I am also no longer wary of the noise police every time I take the car out.

For performance, my muffler has a 3" inlet with a large chamber and aerofoil splitting into two 2.5" perforated tubes = 38% larger flow than a 3" muffler (also ~38% more tube area in which to "muffle") :dsm:

Update: I just bought the MR cat-back and am waiting to receive it. I'll post pics when I get it. I can't wait till spring. :)

They are a great system. I have solds hundreds of Megan Racing Exhaust systems over the past five years, and have NOT had one return. That speaks volumes to the quality of the fitment, and material.

I think everyone will be extremely pleased.

Update: My Megan Racing cat-back exhaust came in today. I'm very pleased with the quality of it. The flanges are thick and the welds are pefect. The muffler is a lot larger than I originally though it would be, but that's fine with me. The burnt-tip looks beautiful. It looked so good, I decided to assemble it on my living room floor to see how it all looked together with my MR downpipe. This is where the trouble came in. For future reference, I ordered the downpipe from Slowboyracing, and I ordered the cat-back directly from MR since SBR doesn't seem to carry it yet.

But before I get into the problematic issue, take a quick look at the exhaust:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Very nice. I like it. High five.

Okay, so I put the cat-back together, then try to match the downpipe outlet flange onto the adapter that MR included with the cat-back. One adapter is for a stock cat and necks down to match the stock size. The other adapter is just a three inch adapter made for their downpipe or any other 3" downpipe or test pipe. The problem I was having was that the downpipe flange bolt holes were roughly "horizontal", while the adapter flange bolt holes were nearly vertical. A quick look at the catalytic converter flanges on my car prove that the "vertical" positioning is how the flanges need to be. If I turn the cat-back pipe so the flanges line up, the muffler sticks two feet in the air at an angle that I know wouldn't fit under the car.

Here's what I'm talking about:

In the above pic, the downpipe is placed in the position that it would be if it were on the car and the cat-back is more or less in the position that it would be in on the car. You can see the flanges don't line up and turning either pipe would throw everything off.

I called Megan Racing and reached a knowledgeable person in their Tech Service department, whose name I didn't catch. He asked me what part number was on the box that I recieved and I told him (SSDP-ME95GSX2). He replied that that was the old version of the downpipe, and that the issues they had addressed with it were the flange not lining up, and the lack of clearance to bolt the downpipe up to the stock O2 sensor housing. He said that the new downpipe carries a part number of SSDP-MEGSV2 or something like that. He advised me to either contact Slowboyracing, where I bought the downpipe or modify the flanges on the adapter or downpipe to fit them together.

I contacted SBR and got in touch with Chris, who asked for some pictures of the problem so he could better understand what was going on. After talking to him further in chat and through emails, he said he was unaware that Megan Racing had done a revision on the downpipe and that I was the first person to bring this problem to his attention. He said that he would contact his shipping and marketing staff to discuss the problem and see if they could resolve it. My theory is that Megan Racing hasn't shipped out many of the revised downpipes to other vendors, nor have they contacted their vendors about the problem that prompted the revision.

Please let no one take this as a critique of either MR or SBR. Megan Racing took the initiative to rectify their design, and they have produced a quality piece. And Chris at SBR was extremely helpful and friendly over the phone and in emails. His determination towards resolving this problem makes me glad that I ordered from SBR rather than some other vendors or ebay. My primary reason for writing this little novel is to make sure that when DSM'ers order their downpipes to make sure they are getting the revised model. Apparently the older versions with the incorrect flanges are still floating around out there.

Again, the only reason the downpipe doesn't fit the cat-back is because the downpipe is the old version. The new version has corrected these problems. I hold neither SBR nor Megan Racing at fault for this. If you order this downpipe from ANY vendor, clarify that there IS a revised version and that is the one you would like.

The MR dp and catback I received came with one adapter. That adapter was to bolt the MR catback to the stock cat. I'm pretty sure it will fit up for you if you remove that adapter piece. I know on mine no adapter was needed with the dp and cb.

good shit, i was wondering if they ever fixed their 3" horizontal flange problem before purchasing their 2g awd catback. i have their old 3" dp as well just like br boxx, so looks like i gotta modify the adapter once i buy their cat back. hurry and bolt her up and let see how it looks . i want to see how the tip sticks out in the back. I have a custom made 3" cat back with a megan N1 on right now, and the titanium muffler up top is way bigger than mine.

Quick question about the system. Do all the muffler tips come with that burnt look now and on the downpipe does it turn into 3" right away or does it turn into 3" down the line? Thanks

Never mind. All the 2g AWD dp's are a full 3" and the mufflers have the burnt tip.

sorry to bring this from dead but i'm thinking about purchasing MR downpipe for my car but i have apexi dunk catback exhaust. Would downpipe fit on my apexi dunk with no problem or do i have to do any mod?

I know from my experience with this system, I got both the catback and downpipe, and I ran into the same problem that you have with the flanges not lining up, I had to have it cut the adapter piece and rewelded it back together to make it all fit...so apparently I recieved the older version downpipe, pretty stupid but it all worked out great for me in the end! I thought it was just the adapters that were messed up, oh well.

Update: I recently received the new, revised MR downpipe for the 2g AWD directly from Megan Racing. The cat-back flange is clocked correctly and the part number on the box reflects the revision. As I mentioned before in another thread, the new correct part number is SSDP-ME95GSV2, not the SSDP-ME9599GSX number that their website currently shows. I spoke to Jose at Megan Racing and he says that the revised downpipe is the only one they currently have in their warehouse now, so if you order directly from them, you shouldn't have a problem. Some vendors may still have the old part in their stock, however, so again, I advise calling the vendor you order from and confirming which part number they will be shipping to you.

Pic of the flange, clocked correctly. I just had to bolt my Punishment Racing polished O2 housing to it, just to see how it would look. :)

New part number, plus the weight of it, for those interested in mundane details. :D

Once I have everything ready for my turbo/exhaust/fuel stuff install, I'll take pics of the entire exhaust system for reference.

I have the MR DP as well, V2. I'm about to get a Punishment O2 with the WG on it recirculated. I'm glad to see your DP bolted right up to it. I know they're both 2.5" but I was slightly worried.

:)

can anyone post some pics of this burnt tip on a burgundy gsx pleezzzz

I aswell own a 3"megan catback, dp, and their test pipe. I will take pictures when it is install.

Here are some pics of when I first got it.

Full 3" I.D.

Nice and straight, using little bends as possible

As you can see the exhaust it really well wrapped

There it is in the back waiting for its new 3"!

came with thick flanges and really nice welds

I'll get on the car shots later.

looks good^^ and i hate you for how nice the weather is where your at....im sitting here looking at 4 inches of new snow

Oh and just a reminder, you will not be using the small 5" intermidate section with hanger on it. That is just for when you are bolting up to a cat.

Good luck with the install, and get some more pics!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back