The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Megan Racing: Updated AWD Downpipe and Catback! (3in.) Opinions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclipsegsx1736

Supporting VIP
Nov 11, 2003
Los Angeles, California
I just got back from helping Megan Racing prototype their updated 3 inch downpipe and cat back for AWD DSMs. As many of you know already, there was a problem in the shape of the AWD downpipes, and in order to fit, it required some cutting and welding, but it was do-able. Many people still bought them because of the great price and the great quality, besides the mis-alignment. Well, Megan Racing wanted to fix the problem, so I met up with a member of Megan Racing to do the test-fitting. We removed my stock DP and cat and tried to fit the previous style Megan AWD pipe that people were having problems with. Immediately we noticed the same problem everyone else is having, the flange to bolt to the catback was angled incorrectly, and the flange bolt holes needed to be machined a little wider. Well, we made changes, and then bolted it back on until it fit perfectly. The modified downpipe will be taken back to the company and they will make the new models that will fit the AWD DSMs with no modifications. We then made a full 3 inch cat back system. Megan already had a muffler, they just needed to cut and weld the piping to the correct shape. They wanted the piping to be as straight as possilbe with smooth bends, but also be compatible with any AWD DSM. The result was MUCH better than I thought, below you can see it compared to the Apexi N1. Sorry for the lack of side by side pics. They will come later when the final product is made. Keep in mind that the catback piping in these pics is just a prototype, it represents the shape of the final product but not the quality or the material. The one below quickly welded together just to test the shape. Both the downpipe and cat back will be the full 3 inches all the way. The muffler was scratched up in the pics also. When one purchases the Megan cat-back system, you will have the choice to fit on an adapter to allow the 3 inch Megan catback system to fit to the stock cat, or a different adapter that will alow the 3 inch Megan catback to be fitted to their 3 inch downpipe or any 3 inch downpipe/cat. I did my best to take some pics, and I tried to increase the brightness to make them easier to see, although theyre too small to really get a good picture. Let me know what you guys think of this, they want your opinions! Im not affiliated with Megan Racing, I just helped them prototype their new exhaust and wanted to let people know who were considering a Megan downpipe but didnt due to the fitting problem that they will now be full compatible for your AWD DSM. The FWD downpipe didnt have any fitment problems. The final pic is the Apexi N1 for comparison. :dsm:

Attachments

• rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 10,256
  • rearside.jpg
    rearside.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 8,523
  • sidepiping.jpg
    sidepiping.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 8,409
  • straightpipe.jpg
    straightpipe.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 8,572
  • N1.jpg
    N1.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 8,434
Way awesome for a DSMer to actually have a huge hand in the (re)design of such a good product for our cars. I currently have the 3in. downpipe, and it is k/a.

:dsm:

What about those of us who hate the stupid slanted muffler deal?

yea, althought itd require another small bend, they need to have that muffler come out more straight. wayyyy too angled. looks goofy.

Its angled a little less than the HKS Carbon-Ti, but Ill forward your opinions to them, after I get a few more responses. :thumb:

Looks good but i have to agree, it does look a little too angled for my taste. So will Megan Racing do anything for the people who have purchased the defective version of the downpipe? Brandon [VFRacing]

Are they going to make one for the 1g awd? I really like the look except for the slanted muffler. :thumb:

when do they think this will be available for purchase, and are they gonna be the same price or will it go up?

anconover said:
wayyyy too angled. looks goofy.
Wayyyy too angled? It's not actually all that angled by the way the pics show it. I can understand that some of you like the straight look, but the angled is better for performance and some people like the look of it. I'd tell Megan Racing to leave it how it is, and if some people want to add another bend to make it straight, they can do so themselves. Sorry I'm a little biased, I like cheap exhausts with the LEAST amount of bends as possible....

I don't know about the angled part, a lot of people like it that way...but they could also make one for all the guys who donot like it and make one final bend to get the muffler as straight as possible...

Sorry I'm a little biased, I like cheap exhausts with the LEAST amount of bends as possible....

:thumb: Well put, and thats what this exhaust is all about. People, stop bitching about "I don't like the angle" and "Well the muffler doesn't come out straight" :nono: . Your not paying ass loads of money for this exhaust, with the money you save from buying a well known exhaust (hks,thermal, or apexi) buy a welder and make it right.

Furthermore, since I'm on this little rant. There aren't many Ebay companies that really give a damn about the product they sell you, and this one does. And not only do they care about the quality of the product but also the research to improve the fitament. To make that exhaust angle any differently would hamper what I see as the straightest true 3 inch exhaust on the market . All in all for the price deal with it.

eclipsegsx1736, well done in being the guinea pig for all of us to benefit from:thumb:
car looks great with that exhaust, and you got it cheaper than all of us, free. :rocks:

I apologize to anyone offended,

Brew :talon:

i dont know how everyone else like their angles, but i dont mind having it angle up like the Supra TT... :thumb: but than i'm sure its not the same with our cars...

eclipse gsx1732, do you know when the revised version of this downpipe and catback system will be available to the public?

Megan Racing said theyre #1 priority in the shape of the exhaust was performance, hence the angle. Just remember that the exhaust in these pics was just made out of some steel tubing. Although the final Megan catback will be the same shape, the material will be of course stainless steel. Unfortunately, I do not have an exact date, nor do I have the answers to the other few questions asked, about the 1g exhausts, and the defective ones,etc. Im going to forward this thread to Megan and see what they have to say, and of course Ill keep you guys updated. Keep the comments coming! :thumb:

Oh $hit check out his new KDW2's ROFL Ditch the apexi, apexi are old school look at those nasty bends :barf: hell even RRE admits the apexi isnt that great of an exhaust :dsm:

i dont think they are going to offer anything to the 130 2g gsx customers that bought a poorly designed downpipe. they have one in re-production and wont be available for 2-3 months. oh well.

marq95gst said:
Is there anyway they can make a N1 catback for the eclipse 95-99 GS-T? I know they already offer one on ebay for the gsx, only.

:dsm:
The GSX catback will work on your GST.

IMMORTALSPYDER said:
The GSX catback will work on your GST.

Someone confirm this...

Anyway,

That angle is a little extreme but people have to realize that it's a shot from under the car and the Apex'i N1 is also slanted just as bad. I currently have a Buschur Exhaust I'll probably sell to buy this one.

Anyone have any sound clips of thier catbacks?

Hum, doesn't look bad...just looked like a bit more work than was needed.

I think it looks damn good. I wouldn't make any changes. Do they make one for a 1g awd?

Ill try to find out about the GST and 1g exhausts. By the way, theyll soon be coming out with a 32 way adjustable full coilover setup for our cars (damp and height adjustible for sure, not sure what else).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back