The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Megan Racing: Updated AWD Downpipe and Catback! (3in.) Opinions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

looks good^^ and i hate you for how nice the weather is where your at....im sitting here looking at 4 inches of new snow

Oh and just a reminder, you will not be using the small 5" intermidate section with hanger on it. That is just for when you are bolting up to a cat.

Good luck with the install, and get some more pics!

Those pics are old.

Im sitting in 4 inches of snow as of earlier this week :mad:
It just rain/sleet/snowed all last night too!:cry:

The 5'' section is used regardless of cat or no cat. Its an adapter that goes between the cat and the downpipe.
They give you two. One is 2.5 (stock cat size) to 3" (size of MR catback) and they give you a full 3" adapter for MR downpipe to MR catback.

Its been on the car for a few months now.
Sounds really good.
But if I had a choice and could do it all from the start (bought my car with stock exhaust) I would have done what my friend Luke did and get a 3" downpipe and a 3" cutout.

How much did both the downpipe and catback run you?

i got mine at a REALLY good deal!
Well at least I think it was.

It was 550 shipped from one of our vendors when they first started here.

cough* street tuned motorsports *cough

The prices are still the same but during the time there was an offer for free shipping.

Emry is the man!

I saw this cat-back in person the other day. The entire thing is beautiful, great welds and flanges, but the blue tip is aweful.... Other than that this thing is badass.

I picked up a MR 1G AWD downpipe the other day and am impressed with the overall quality. I will be cutting off the outlet flange so it will mate to a new Vibrant 3" catcon via bandclamp. I will also need to cut off the 2 bolt flange of my 3" catback to band clamp it to the catcon. These parts will be replacing my 2.5 SS downpipe and 2.5" cat. I'm going with band clamps because it will make swapping in the straight pipe at the track easier. I wished I'd gone 3" from the beginning as it would've saved me $ from having to mod twice. Unfortunately, MR weren't around back in the day and your typical 3" SS downpipe was priced at $350!!WTF

Here are some pics of when I first got it.

siceclipse or anyone that has this downpipe and catback for a 2g. just one question for ya real quick. how soon does the downpipe go out to 3". it looks like it is right after it bolts up to the o2 housing.

siceclipse or anyone that has this downpipe and catback for a 2g. just one question for ya real quick. how soon does the downpipe go out to 3". it looks like it is right after it bolts up to the o2 housing.

It depends on the model. The awd model is 2.75" right where it connects to the o2 housing but immediately goes to 3". The fwd model doesn't go to 3" until right after the flex section.

It depends on the model. The awd model is like 2.5" right where it connects to the o2 housing but immediately goes to 3". The fwd model doesn't go to 3" until right after the flex section.

thank you turbosax2 that is what i needed to know.

the DP has been revised.

Atleast the one i have.

It is 2.75" a the flange where it meets up to the o2 housing.
You literaly have to beat the crap out of it to make it fit on the stock housing cause the bolts are too close together on the o2.
It will fit the stock o2 but i think they designed it to be used with the MR o2 housing.

Here are some comparison shots between the old and new revisions of the Megan Racing 2g awd downpipe.

Differences:
New one is slightly taller near o2 housing
Old one is slightly longer overall
New one necks down near o2 housing (downpipe is smooth on the inside so there is no disturbance in exhaust gases)
O2 housing bolted onto both fine but with old revision I couldn't use a socket to tighten the nuts - on the new one a socket fits fine
New one bolts up properly to catback, flange is clocked correctly
Flex sections are slightly different
"Megan Racing" badges are slightly different

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it me or am I just seeing things? :banghead:

I purchased a GST downpipe from ExtremePSI. From Megan's site it should look like this right?

The pipe I got looks awful like this one:

If I knew any better I'd say that they sent me the AWD one. I have a 2g GST and GSX and I think I got the reach around. I'm not looking forward to driving to Bensalem today, looks like I'll have to call them up when they open at 9.

The GST downpipe has a bend it in it looks like and I realized this last night while trying to bolt it up. Why is this? different routing because the cat back is different also to go around the gas tank?

^ Yes first pic is a fwd downpipe & second pic is the awd. In the fwd the system goes straight down the center of the tunnel & then around the gas tank. In the awd system the tunnel also has to be shared with the driveshaft so the exhaust is routed closer to the drivers side vs being centered in the fwd system. That why the fwd downpipe has more bend in it. As you can see the downpipes are also different lengths & use different mounting brackets.

I have the old Megan Racing downpipe and I love it, however, I am so glad they made it so you can fit a socket on it now. That was always a bit frustrating. I would recommend a Megan Racing pipe to anyone. I have had mine now for 3 years.

I also have the old style megan racing downpipe...You know, the one with the akward fitting o2 housing bolts and the funny flange. I agree, its a great piece! But, can i make it work with a thermal r&d? Any thoughts? Its a 2nd gen awd

Mine on my 1g hits my Driveshaft at the joint between the DP and the Test Pipe. I had to put an exhaust clamp around the exhaust further back and use a hanger to hold it over to the driver's side. It also likes to eat O2 housing to DP gaskets. Other than that it sounds great. :thumb:

I also have the old style megan racing downpipe...You know, the one with the akward fitting o2 housing bolts and the funny flange. I agree, its a great piece! But, can i make it work with a thermal r&d? Any thoughts? Its a 2nd gen awd

I have a MR fwd downpipe and a Thermal R&D catback and there is like a 3" gap between them. I'm FWD and SOL so I hope the AWD one works for you.

Ive been waiting a month for my Megan cat-back to show up and I still don't have a
tracking # from a vendor on here. They keep going back and fourth with
Megan saying
there out of stock for the 2g Awd 3in.:notgood:
So its been very frustrating. :banghead:
I will try to get a camcorder once I get the exhaust and install it since
I cant find any clips of the new Megan exhaust anywhere.

Anybody having problems mating a 2g awd Megan dp to their o2 housing? I thought the new revision of the dp was supposed to fix this problem, but the angles of the dp and o2 housing are different and they won't mate up. At one point I had the dp all bolted in but then the flex section was touching the oil pan.

Anybody having problems mating a 2g awd Megan dp to their o2 housing? I thought the new revision of the dp was supposed to fix this problem, but the angles of the dp and o2 housing are different and they won't mate up. At one point I had the dp all bolted in but then the flex section was touching the oil pan.

By any chance it's not an evo3 o2 on it?

It's a Megan o2 housing. You would think they would work together...

I never compared the Megan o2 housing to the stock one so I'm not sure if the fault lies in the dp or the o2 housing. The o2 housing probably has to come back off the car soon so I can compare then, but I'd still like to hear from other people if they had issues or not.

I was going to order my O2 housing, DP, and catback for my GSX but I was told that Megan is backordered until the middle of November. But will all the good info on it here, i will just wait it out and order it then. Thanks for the info!

okay i bought a used Megan Racing downpipe, and its the older style. Can i bolt this up to my stock o2 housing? and use the stock gasket? it didnt come with its own gasket....

I have a MR fwd downpipe and a Thermal R&D catback and there is like a 3" gap between them. I'm FWD and SOL so I hope the AWD one works for you.

this is also true, i had to weld on a 3" extension onto my thermal.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back