The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Max HP on Auto with Shift kit and end clutch?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98TalonTSi said:
What the hell is the difference if I've never made the power yet or other BS.

Do I really have to answer that question for the hundredth time? Check in every reply to this post. It makes a huge difference. It proves that your calling me out on stuff, when you have no clue what you are talking about. You never experienced it, but you talk like you've been there and done that. I'm looking for auto dudes that have made similiar power and you comment like you have or know everything. You have a 14 second car that you brag about saying that you beat on it all the time and your built IPT tranny has not failed so it must be bulletproof and can handle anything. That is my point. Your claim is irrelevant as you have not reached that level. And since your such buddy buddy with John, I'm sure down the road when you do upgrade the turbo and blow the tranny you won't even post that.

98TalonTSi said:
And in the year and a half I've experienced a lot so far, and I do all my own work except rebuilding a transmission. As far as setup goes, you don't have the slightest clue as to what my goals are, I learned early in the game, to set something realistic and not try and do something twice.

You are early in the game..... Once again your implying that your so experienced. Did you buy a bigger turbo before the Big 16G and downgraded because you learned early in the game to set something realistic and not try to do it twice? First of all your running a Tial 40mm external gate with a Big 16G turbo.... Do I really have to get into that? My turbo inlet is bigger than your whole turbo and I was running a Tial 40mm on that. The old Tial 35mm can be used on TD06 20G's and even efficiently on Buschur's BR57 T3/T4 turbo. The newer Deltagate 38mm's are used on T3/T4 60-1's. And you have it mated to a 2.5" exhaust.... I already mentioned your 272 intake cam. It's all mismatched throughout your whole setup which is why your car isn't even making good power for a Big 16G.

98TalonTSi said:
You also don't have to tell me about traction, I know too well on street tires, but I've got slicks, so the higher the RPM, the better my 60'. And do you think that 14.2@102 was with half those mods? Literally all I had was an exhaust, intake, and B16g...so a 2.3 is not that bad a 60' for FWD AT and neither is a 102.

Even with slicks a 4000 stall on a Big 16G is way too much if your car was making the right power for what you had. Which just shows me that your car is very slow as a Big 16G at around 18 psi which it should achieve by 4000 rpm would make a lot of power where traction would be very very bad even for an AWD. Go to the track today. With your mods now you'll probably see a worse time slip than when you just had an intake, exhaust, 16G, etc. It's not mated right with that turbo. The only thing that would help you if you didn't have it before is the dsmlink. The DSMLink is a great asset for an automatic as it retains timing through shifts.

98TalonTSi said:
Well, since all that's going on is insults, and you're the first person to bust me for trying to always help people, now I'm really done with this thread. I'm the type of guy to ask the questions and that's how I know the answers, get it. My conversions with John go far beyond than what I'm sure you can comprehend just by your posts.
Mike

I'm telling you facts and experiences I have been through. I'm not insulting you. You called me out for what I had to say and you reply like you know everything, so I had to point out that you have no clue what you are arguing about. No related experiences to back up what you are saying. I don't mind that you help people if you have experienced something yourself or know something first hand, but you put your 2 cents in a discussion that you have no knowledge or comprehension about. You sat there and ran all over Eclipsei95 when you have less experience and a smaller setup than him. He wanted info on people running an IPT with a big turbo and you, a small turbo guy, comes in talkin' trash. So I had to call you out on that. Then you try calling me out like I don't know anything. And then you keep bringing up John again. Your DEEEP conversions with him. Get off his nuts! I know he has more experience and a hell of a lot more knowledge about auto trannies than I do. I never claimed that I was better than him in that. I was just seeking for him to prove what he was claiming. Simple as that. All I know is I personally own three 2G Eclipse Automatics- 95 GS-T (Race car), 97 GS-T Spyder daily driver, and a 95 GSX street demon and have been modding them since 1999. I have done everything you can think of to these cars. I know a lot about these cars from real experiences and I just don't appreciate a newbie, who acts like he knows all, commenting about something he has no clue about.

I guess I will jump in the fire as well here...but what can I say that doesn't make me look like I am hanging on IPT's dick? Rest assured though if I wasn't happy with them I would definitely say so. Would my IPT tranny breaking down make me mad at them or discredit IPTs work? Not this far into the game. I have had this tranny in for quite awile now and IF IT DID break down I would have no choice but to attribute it to MY drivng. And IPT had no problem calling me back to their shop to have their newer clutches put in (at their exspense!!) once they started seeing problems with the previous clutches.
OK, so I do NOT have a large turbo, nor do I put down more than 350, I have figured around 300-320. I don't know, but I will say this....
I BEAT THE PISS OUT OF MY CAR AND DAILY DRIVE IT AS WELL! I am forever WOT making the dump open up to scare the hell out of pedestrians, every back side street is a road course for me, Stop signs are a "pro-tree"! I do drive civil, but given the chance I am on the gas hard! I do shift the car manualy from time to time as well if I feel the urge for it. Seriously, I drive alot more aggressive than even most aggressive drivers. I am not an asshole but I do put my car thru the paces daily. I also had all the work done at IPT. That makes a big difference in reliability issues.
All the way to the Shootout, which was over a 2600 mile round trip drive we had lots of WOT highway runs and then of course the day at the S.O I made about 5 passes which we ran 12.48 (no spray, don't have it) and of course the trip back home...then once home a couple weeks later a trip to Maple Grove with one half hearted 12.8 pass on pump! No tranny problems yet but the crank pulley is bad and the car is on jack stands BUT that gotdamn tranny keeps holding up. Oh trust me, next year the cams and larger turbo will go in and we'll see if I can bust it up for John (just kidding John!).
I know the point of the discussion is mostly about a BIG turbo and daily driving but I feel my car somewhat puts a test to their work considering the miles put on the tranny and a good chunk of those miles were screwing off on the highway and at the track.
Leo

Leo...it doesn't matter what you say because we are discredited because we're not running big turbos. And because we are friends with John, we're on his dick....nah, that doesn't have anything to do with the way his personality really is, could it?
Invader..Just as you've explained yourself and I still don't see the point, is the same as me explaining myself and you still not seeing the point. :rolleyes: 1/4 mile ET doesn't truly reflect the car's power, but you should know that already.....Oh and just because I'm new to the DSM game doesn't mean I'm new to modifying cars, and discredits what I know...... ;)
I've said it before....internet arguing gets you nowhere. :cool:

98TalonTSi said:
I'm done with this thread. :cool:
Mike

98TalonTSi said:
I'm really done with this thread.

:rolleyes:

98TalonTSi said:
I've said it before....internet arguing gets you nowhere.

Then stop like you said. To have an argument it usually takes 2 people so you see its only an "internet argument" when another person argues back..You are the one arguing back so therefore you are contributing to this "internet argument".

theboogieman said:
I guess I will jump in the fire as well here...but what can I say that doesn't make me look like I am hanging on IPT's dick? I BEAT THE PISS OUT OF MY CAR AND DAILY DRIVE IT AS WELL!

No No No hes not saying that to everyone that has an ipt trans. Invader probably wasnt even serious when he said that. But when you read

98TalonTSi said:
I'm going to disagree with that as I'm good friends with John

John and I have a good friendship and talk often as well

John is a good friend of mine

John on the other hand spent an hour looking over my car and bought me dinner

customers become his friends, myself included, and there's a reason for that.

My conversions with John go far beyond than what I'm sure you can comprehend .

You think wow how many times can he mention his relationship with john only need to tell us once..So u see where he might be gettin the "on ipts nuts" thing from?

Leo you have proven that the ipt trans can stand up to daily abuse and oblviously running well in the 1/4 mile, and driving many miles with the trans being all good. None of us discredit IPT for there trans once again as everyone seems that we doubt them. But what if you were running 400 hp and beating the piss on it out on the street will it last then? 98talontsi seems to say you will never get to open up on the streets in NJ but seems like you say you are killin it on the street from your posts. But the point and question of the day still stands will the and can the ipt trans hold out for a good 400 hp and still get beat on in everyday driving with proof on someones car? Its great that you 2 are showing us proof on your 16g powered cars and shown that the ipt trans will hold up. But again we are asking the question will it hold 400 or more with daily driving and when i mean daily driving its exactly how leo stated in his post :p . Oh and leo I have lots of respect for you because you are probably one of the fastest street driven 2g autos on the road..and that 12.4 is real impressive..So dont feel like we are flaming you in anyway. :thumb:
You guys definitley arent discredited but were asking a question in a totally different category than you guys are in please take no offense from me though 98talontsi seems to be in a pissy mood with all of us but what we were talking about doesnt really apply to you guys sorry.(unless you guys get up to that hp level)

98TalonTSi said:
Invader..Just as you've explained yourself and I still don't see the point.

98TalonTSi said:
Invader...I've always seen you're point.
:rolleyes:

95TSiNewbie said:
great thread, very imformative information based on fact, experience, and opinion. .

See! this maybe some internet argument but we are still helping people and giving information out there and thats what a forum is mostly about.. Glad we could help 95tsinewbie.

Id just like to say this though all this talk, however you are taking it shouldnt be taken so damn serious.What we all say is based on our experiences,knowledge,opinions,so therefore we all might not agree, and I guess the question that has been asked by me and invader is unanswerable why? because simply no one has reached that level yet to test the trans capabilites in a street driven car (remember 400 hp or more). Im sure this post is gonna get retaliated at by one of you guys..Remember if there is anyone that can sustain 400hp no problem on a street driven car its ipt..but with no proof of that we cant assume it will. Remember IPT knows there shiz and were not doubting there work.We all just would like to see our goals in action to further an investment in an ipt trans.But I think its about time we put this thread to a close theres already 3 pages of opinions,facts,and experience and I dont see the need to go on with this anymore and a Moderator should end this..Lando? Defiant?

Eclipsei95cl said:
No No No hes not saying that to everyone that has an ipt trans. Invader probably wasnt even serious when he said that. But when you read

Nah, I know that. I was just adding my little intro. :) No worries from me.

Eclipsei95cl said:
Leo you have proven that the ipt trans can stand up to daily abuse and obviously running well in the 1/4 mile, and driving many miles with the trans being all good. None of us discredit IPT for there trans once again as everyone seems that we doubt them. But what if you were running 400 hp and beating the piss on it out on the street will it last then? 98talontsi seems to say you will never get to open up on the streets in NJ but seems like you say you are killin it on the street from your posts. But the point and question of the day still stands will the and can the ipt trans hold out for a good 400 hp and still get beat on in everyday driving with proof on someones car? Its great that you 2 are showing us proof on your 16g powered cars and shown that the ipt trans will hold up. But again we are asking the question will it hold 400 or more with daily driving and when i mean daily driving its exactly how leo stated in his post :p . Oh and leo I have lots of respect for you because you are probably one of the fastest street driven 2g autos on the road..and that 12.4 is real impressive..So dont feel like we are flaming you in anyway. :thumb:
You guys definitley arent discredited but were asking a question in a totally different category than you guys are in please take no offense from me though 98talontsi seems to be in a pissy mood with all of us but what we were talking about doesnt really apply to you guys sorry.(unless you guys get up to that hp level)

Thanks for the props. I do not take any of it as flaming on me. I am a really easy going individual and take all things in stride! :) The 12.4 suprised the crap out of me as well. 13.3 was the old time, IPT tranny was only new thing done and it dropped almost a second first time out. :D

Eclipsei95cl said:
I'd just like to say this though all this talk, however you are taking it shouldnt be taken so damn serious.What we all say is based on our experiences,knowledge,opinions,so therefore we all might not agree, and I guess the question that has been asked by me and invader is unanswerable why? because simply no one has reached that level yet to test the trans capabilites in a street driven car (remember 400 hp or more). Im sure this post is gonna get retaliated at by one of you guys..

LOL, I am just commenting, no retaliation here as I am sure you can tell from my demeanor. But what you say here is so true as I myself am just speaking from my own experiences with IPT and how MY car has performed after their work. It is all relative to your own encounters and dealings. John knew from the beginning though that this sm16g wasn't going to stay on more than a year though and this 'bish better be built tough.
I REALLY do wish I could give lend some info to this debate on how the IPT work holds up with HIGH HP on daily driven with the same abuse I give it now. Hopefully after the winter I will save a bit of cash and throw something alot bigger on with hopes of going over 400 (500 was my original goal awhile back...oh, what you don't know when you are a newbie!) When that time does come I will definitely post results...plus I will just be so damn happy to have more power I won't be able to help it but to post!! I do see myself breaking more parts though, what it is we'll have to wait and find out. DSMs = love hate relationship.
Later,
Leo

Finally someone that knows whats up! thanks man Happy boosting and hope you can attain your goals for your car with minimal breakage :thumb:

We're constantly talking about different things here. You pulled some comments from all over this thread. I mean I saw what he was trying to get at, but it just never made sense to me, then I gave up.
Just like I said you gus wouldn't care about Leo's post and you've ignored some other points both of us has made.
Just from one of your posts, tells me that you guys can't possibly follow any AT performance....Bob Friend and a few other AT people are around. The DSM world is far beyond dsmtuners.com
I've said I was done with the thread hoping you guys wouldn't respond and try and get it back on topic. But obviously, neither of you will ever be satisfied. Man o man I wish my friend Brian had his trans done already, he's got a 50 trim and would have a few choice things to say.
So you say you don't discredit IPT, but still want an example....and if there isn't any then why not just run an IPT trans...and I don't mean rebuild kit.....Oh well....instead of locking it, how bout letting a mod clean it up and keep it on topic... :rolleyes:

98TalonTSi said:
We're constantly talking about different things here. You pulled some comments from all over this thread. I mean I saw what he was trying to get at, but it just never made sense to me, then I gave up.
Just like I said you gus wouldn't care about Leo's post and you've ignored some other points both of us has made.
Just from one of your posts, tells me that you guys can't possibly follow any AT performance....Bob Friend and a few other AT people are around. The DSM world is far beyond dsmtuners.com
I've said I was done with the thread hoping you guys wouldn't respond and try and get it back on topic. But obviously, neither of you will ever be satisfied. Man o man I wish my friend Brian had his trans done already, he's got a 50 trim and would have a few choice things to say.
So you say you don't discredit IPT, but still want an example....and if there isn't any then why not just run an IPT trans...and I don't mean rebuild kit.....Oh well....instead of locking it, how bout letting a mod clean it up and keep it on topic... :rolleyes:

Actually I didnt ignore leos post..I know the world is far beyond dsmtuners.com but where are they? We asked for proof b4 and you just give us the same bs about how your car is doing and russ etc..But all of the sudden your sayin you got a few friends out there doing it? As invader said before we would know if there were any auto guys out there making big power and its not like there are many auto trans guys out there to begin with so once some dude makes good times or big hp were bound to hear about it that is only if you follow auto performance at all :cool: your right, we dont discredit ipt and we still want an example im not gonna be the damn guinea pig to experiment with the trans. If it breaks i lose money unlike you i cant just drive/pull out the trans to ipt and be like fix it. I have to ship that shit out and all that junk. I know a ipt rebuild kit isnt a full ipt trans obviously. Yeah mods should clean it up and when there finished evey single one of your posts would be deleted because all you do is not understand what were tryin to say and standing up for ipt when were not even flaming them. :(

Again...you don't read my post correctly.
I said IF my friend Brian with a 50 trim had his STOCK trans built already, but so far he's been lucky. Another funny thing is now you say I don't follow ATs, but interesting enough I've talked to most of the faster ones than Leo, and trust me they are out there. I mentioned Bob Friend in the 11s (not running an IPT trans..but faster than Leos daily)...how about Shawna from NY who just blew up her motor and was running low 12s with a 20g and is going for a SBR GT-14 with a full IPT trans treatment.. Ya know..I think once her car is done and she's running, I'll tel her to post here and be YOUR testament to the IPT reliability that you don't doubt, but want proof of. WANTING PROOF IS CALLED DOUBT!!
I didn't say anything defending IPT in the last post, so where you got that from......
Hmmmm...interesting last statement...you guys have so much experience and have put so much on the line for the AT community and blah blah blah....but yet you're complaining about being a guineau pig.....why would you think you're a guineau when you wouldn't be be is beyond me???

98TalonTSi said:
Again...you don't read my post correctly.
I said IF my friend Brian with a 50 trim had his STOCK trans built already, but so far he's been lucky. Another funny thing is now you say I don't follow ATs, but interesting enough I've talked to most of the faster ones than Leo, and trust me they are out there. I mentioned Bob Friend in the 11s (not running an IPT trans..but faster than Leos daily)...how about Shawna from NY who just blew up her motor and was running low 12s with a 20g and is going for a SBR GT-14 with a full IPT trans treatment.. Ya know..I think once her car is done and she's running, I'll tel her to post here and be YOUR testament to the IPT reliability that you don't doubt, but want proof of. WANTING PROOF IS CALLED DOUBT!!
I didn't say anything defending IPT in the last post, so where you got that from......
Hmmmm...interesting last statement...you guys have so much experience and have put so much on the line for the AT community and blah blah blah....but yet you're complaining about being a guineau pig.....why would you think you're a guineau when you wouldn't be be is beyond me???

Sorry that we want proof of certain things, we might not have 3 grand just sitting around like you or anything but like some of us we like to know what were buying and what it is capable of if we are gonna spend money..Think about TRE why do they have so much business? because they have so many 400-500 hp cars out there with there trannys built under there belt. As far as IPT is concerned,where are there 400-500 hp street driven guys? I heard of what shana is gonna do and yes that would be cool if she got 400 hp and drove it daily theres my proof and it can set the record straight. If you find someone like you claim that is making 400whp on a daily driven dsm built ipt trans that would be awesome.You make it sound like you would be puttin me in my place or something when really i wish and hope there are those people out there. Because then ill know that the ipt trans will last me and help me better in making a decsion to go with a full ipt trans. Wow its funny how you say you know like 2-3 guys doing what were asking when you could ve said that like in begining. :rolleyes: You are just starting to get on my nerves dude we are askin a simple question and you are not helpin at all..All you do is act like you are the shiz and think you are better than us or something. We said this question didnt pretain to you in the first place but you just continue to fire on us sorry we excluded you from i guess you felt "left out" But hey this thread should be done because we have found our answer and the answer is... We dont know how far an IPT trans can withstand on a daily driven 400+hp car..and thats that.

....and i know you will probably study my post and try and make me look stupid and continue this arugment even though we found our answer. But it seems like your the kinda person to get the last word in to make you feel like a man i guess..Dude were done and have talked about all our experiences and russ,john have even had there share of talkin, this thread is done so leave it alone.

98TalonTSi said:
Leo...it doesn't matter what you say because we are discredited because we're not running big turbos. And because we are friends with John, we're on his dick....nah, that doesn't have anything to do with the way his personality really is, could it?
Invader..Just as you've explained yourself and I still don't see the point, is the same as me explaining myself and you still not seeing the point. :rolleyes: 1/4 mile ET doesn't truly reflect the car's power, but you should know that already.....Oh and just because I'm new to the DSM game doesn't mean I'm new to modifying cars, and discredits what I know...... ;)
I've said it before....internet arguing gets you nowhere. :cool:

To 98talontsi: Actually your wrong again. I totally respect everything that Leo posted. He describes his own personal experience in an unbiased way and reiterates the point that he understands that the main point of the question is about whether the IPT tranny can handle a big turboed 400+ HP car. He also sits there and admits he cannot personally answer that question as he does not have a big turbo, but goes over his true life experience about his IPT tranny. He did it objectively and modestly not trying to be the man that knows all. Telling us that he beat the crap out of it driving 2600 miles roundtrip to the shootout and running a 12.4 at the shootout is very impressive with a small 16G. It also provides me with more respect for IPT for calling Leo up and having him bring his car back to change the clutches in it free of charge even though nothing was wrong with the tranny. Those are all very excellent points that makes me feel better about IPT. He doesn't sit there and talk about being best friends with John or about having deep conversations with John or how he knows everything or provides such a help to the community. Straight facts and nothing misleading. Originally I got into this post because the 3 people who commented were saying things misleading and untrue and I pointed out those things to either be untrue or misleading and wanted proof of what they claim. Plain and simple. Leo does a great objective review while you sit there and look like Britney Spears on a Pepsi commercial getting paiid to advertise a product. The whole time in this post you argued the fact that a street driven 400+ HP auto DSM would basically be the same as your 200 HP car because you beat on it all the time and no way a 400 HP car can make that power on the street so it's like the same thing. Or commenting on having 450+ HP in every RPM. The list goes on. Just really stupid things to talk about and those comments just prove your lack of knowledge. One post you sit there and talk about how advanced you are for the year and a half you have been in it and then another post you sit there and say your a newbie. You shouldn't comment on anything you have no clue about. Arguing about something that you have no good input to argue about. Why haven't you found anything in my posts that are not true? Why haven't you argued about the facts? Why didn't you comment about what I posted about your mods on your car being mismatched and poorly mated? Because you can't..... Leo has credibility and you don't. You have not once admitted being wrong about anything you said. If you called me out on something that I said and you proved me to be wrong I would be man enough to admit it....

InvaderGSX said:
To 98talontsi: Actually your wrong again. I totally respect everything that Leo posted. He describes his own personal experience in an unbiased way and reiterates the point that he understands that the main point of the question is about whether the IPT tranny can handle a big turboed 400+ HP car. He also sits there and admits he cannot personally answer that question as he does not have a big turbo, but goes over his true life experience about his IPT tranny. He did it objectively and modestly not trying to be the man that knows all. Telling us that he beat the crap out of it driving 2600 miles roundtrip to the shootout and running a 12.4 at the shootout is very impressive with a small 16G. It also provides me with more respect for IPT for calling Leo up and having him bring his car back to change the clutches in it free of charge even though nothing was wrong with the tranny. Those are all very excellent points that makes me feel better about IPT. He doesn't sit there and talk about being best friends with John or about having deep conversations with John or how he knows everything or provides such a help to the community. Straight facts and nothing misleading. Originally I got into this post because the 3 people who commented were saying things misleading and untrue and I pointed out those things to either be untrue or misleading and wanted proof of what they claim. Plain and simple. Leo does a great objective review while you sit there and look like Britney Spears on a Pepsi commercial getting paiid to advertise a product. The whole time in this post you argued the fact that a street driven 400+ HP auto DSM would basically be the same as your 200 HP car because you beat on it all the time and no way a 400 HP car can make that power on the street so it's like the same thing. Or commenting on having 450+ HP in every RPM. The list goes on. Just really stupid things to talk about and those comments just prove your lack of knowledge. One post you sit there and talk about how advanced you are for the year and a half you have been in it and then another post you sit there and say your a newbie. You shouldn't comment on anything you have no clue about. Arguing about something that you have no good input to argue about. Why haven't you found anything in my posts that are not true? Why haven't you argued about the facts? Why didn't you comment about what I posted about your mods on your car being mismatched and poorly mated? Because you can't..... Leo has credibility and you don't. You have not once admitted being wrong about anything you said. If you called me out on something that I said and you proved me to be wrong I would be man enough to admit it....

I say we settle this on the track :rolleyes: :laugh:
Good points...

Hmm...interesting? discussion. Back to the original question, yes, I think a stock AT tranny can handle low 13s pretty easily. I have had my shift kitted and end clutched tranny for over 60k miles, ~4 years. After the 1st year I put in a 14b, slowly adding supporting mods, running a 13.2@102 two years ago. Last year I put an Evo 16 and a big FMIC on, and have been running that since. I drive hard every day, and the tranny's held up just fine, until two months ago, when I suspect a pinched cooler line killed my tranny. I think that's a good testament to the ability of the stock tranny to hold power. I now have IPT parts in my tranny, and I'm pretty confident it'll take every bit the Evo16 can give it. Sure, it's not a huge turbo, but I'm running ~36lb/min with it @18psi.

Mike (98talontsi) - go buy a big turbo and slap it on there already!! :D

Here is a summary:
1. Mike has the FWD race trans with a b16g and runs smoothly and reliably.
2. Boogieman drove 2600 miles and ran several mid 12 sec passes. Durable and reliable.
3. Coxe made 10 and 9 sec passes. Race car durable, but street reliability is unkown.
4. Somebody with a big turbo setup needs to blaze this trail. Seems like this chick in upstate NY may be first out of the gates. If anybody knows her, get her on here to post her opinion.
5. There may be others out there, but we don't know them, they don't post on Tuners, and they don't race at the track. (Invader is right, the officially fast AT's are all pretty well known) IPT has shipped lots of tansmissions and rebuild kits. One of them must have landed in a big turbo car. Give it time, they will surface.
6. Invader has blown up many stock transmissions.
7. Bob Friend ran 11's on a street car with shift kit and stock rebuild.

Current options:
1. Stock rebuild with shift kit. Proven durability and reliability.
2. Level 10. Scammers. Go ask on the supra forums their opinions.
3. Alto Red Eagle with shift kit. IPT dropped Alto parts for a reason.
4. IPT rebuild and valve body mods. See 1, 2, 3 above.

Reliability is subjective. Who is rebuilding and installing your trans, some Aamco monkey or a real performance shop like IPT? What condition is the rest of your car in? Do you live in Arizona? Do you activate all 450 hp at every green light? Do you use piss for ATF?

Make your own conclusions. Blaze the trail, or wait for somebody else.

Bill

Billios996 said:
Reliability is subjective. Who is rebuilding and installing your trans, some Aamco monkey or a real performance shop like IPT? What condition is the rest of your car in? Do you live in Arizona? Do you activate all 450 hp at every green light? Do you use piss for ATF?

I personally have tried many different local tranny shops, a performance shop once and have had a retarded monkey try to rebuild it a couple of times also. It's not just me though. Many people I have talked to throughout the years say the same thing. I part out a lot of 2G's. Over the summer I had a guy from St. Louis who owns a performance shop come pick up a 5 Speed FWD tranny from me because he was doing a conversion for a guy who had the same issues with an automatic with a pretty hardcore T3/T4 setup. Maybe lasted a whole 500 miles. I've even gone to tranny shops that give you a 1 year no hassle warranty. After you bring it back a few times they start to really take there time getting your stuff done. I have done the Alto thing, the Level 10 thing, etc, etc. I have gone through a Protorque, level 10, etc torque converters. They were less reliable than stock. I actually have never had a stock converter fail on me. I've finally gotten a reliable place who stands by their converters from Precision Industries. I use the largest B & M tranny cooler, Translab shift kit, etc. The rest of the car has been very strong for the last year and a half minus the damn automatic tranny. Built stroker motor, 1G head, T3/T4 turbo, DNP tubular manifold, etc. I live in Michigan. For ATF I have used Trick Shift and Mobil One using the black conversion bottle. Coxe has a bad ass car no doubt, but my point for my arguement is my tranny has lasted 500 miles or so before with the power I am pushing. And his setup is only track used so since the IPT has been put in how many miles could he possibly have put on it? Even in a dramatic estimate maybe 50 total miles? My main point is to heat up development. The more people who want different products the more people that will try to invent it. It has been way too long and nobody has really come out with anything to support DSM auto's. I bought an IPT rebuild kit. The only thing custom on it is some clutches. The rest of the stuff is Mitsu OEM stuff. Not saying anything bad about it, but different material clutches does not make a race tranny in my opinion. I am looking for someone to develop a custom valve body, larger gearing, change the internals for something better that handles more horsepower. Chrysler has always been plagued with poor quality automatic transmissions. I mean I hear about Supra automatic guys getting mated with a GM tranny, I have friends that are into modding Grand Prix GTP's and someone has already developed larger gears in their trannies to have it handle more HP since they do not have the luxury of having manual trannies as an option. All GTP's are automatics. Their heavy ass cars are running 10's and 11's locally with stock superchargers. IPT is really currently the BEST option we have, but from every product I have purchased and examining what the kit consists of it really is not a special product. I know I have read over and over in the post about it's not about the rebuild kit, it's about the tranny. But come on. I have been in this too long. A typical person can believe that, but as long as the tranny is totally cleaned thoroughly and it is assembled like a stock OEM tranny it is not put together any differently since everything in the kit is OEM sized and fitted. The aftermarket clutches are the same size as stock, just a different material, and the rest of the stuff is OEM. The valve body recalibration is a Translab shift kit which is just upgraded springs and balls. Besides that you have a high stall torque converter. Nothing else. And you notice everybody on here giving me shit is from New Jersey. I'm understanding you guys want to back your place up and I am not trying to talk it down. Just trying to heat up developement on true race upgrades for DSM automatics. Plain and simple. So just to reiterate, IPT is currently the best and virtually the only option we have on the market. I personally wouldn't call it a race tranny, but the only aftermarket internals we can get besides translab shift kit, upgraded tranny coolers, and billet torque converters. After my experience with Alto clutches and level 10 I would rather use stock clutches! At this point I just want to drive the car and be kind of fast. So I might downgrade to an Evo III setup over the winter. I would never have a track only car. It takes the fun out of the hobby in my personal opinion. I like the feeling when I dust a rich guy with a $100K car at a green light or spank on all the classic muscle cars out there oir look at the faces of guys who paid so much money for their ugly newer Vette and end up looking at my back end. The track is fun too, but unless I get sponsored or something you won't see me spend a crap load of money on an enclosed trailer towing my race car everywhere. There are plenty of 400-500 HP to the wheels street cars where I am from. From DSM's, GTP's, Hondas, Supra's, Colts rolling 4G63 engines, Mustangs, etc. Not sure why you NJ guys think it is so hard to believe. Michigan is even mild compared to Chicago, Illinois.... Over there there is even a lot of 400+ HP female street drivers!

I aggree with the desire for taller gearing to go with bigger power. But look at the MT's. Until recently , the only gearing change available was the gvr4 first gear. Plus the extra synchros in the upper gears. That was a basic swap in upgrade, no real development. DSM's were around for 14 years before Magnus came out with their dogbox. (The Ralliart dogbox has been around for a while for the evo's and I've never heard of anybody adapting it to dsm's.) Good luck getting somebody to design a new AT gearset with such a small market segment.

As far as increased strength, IPT does some cryo hardening and some heat treating for stress relief to some parts. Ask John (Transdude) for those details. Also, John and Kiggly developed a clutch pack with 5 clutches instead of 3 for more holding power. That may be Kiggly's trade secret though :shhh: I heard he just got into the 9's also with an IPT FWD trans. Plus the resistor box for variable shift firmness.

If you want to speed up development, support the shop doing the developing. :thumb:

Bill
glad I'm in Jersey :D

Unless something changed really recently Kiggley swapped to a 5 speed. I talked to him before. He told me that without someone developing a larger gearing all the upgrades that are available for the automatic on a DSM cannot exceed 500 hp. He personally told me via email or on Yahoo AT group around 6 months ago. That was his reason for swapping to a manual. He started doing 550 HP and after that his tranny only lasted so many runs down the track. I never heard about him going to an IPT trans. I'm sure someone would have posted that in this thread by now. But if that happened recently then I could be wrong.

I know about Kiggly's trans direct from John.
Kiggly's 9.x sec pass on the AT is, however, second hand info :p
Anybody else want to elaborate, or provide a link to his announcement?

Bill

Billios996 said:
I know about Kiggly's trans direct from John.
Kiggly's 9.x sec pass on the AT is, however, second hand info :p
Anybody else want to elaborate, or provide a link to his announcement?

Bill

Just clarifyin are u sure u mean kiggly and not Russ Coxe who just went 9s with a ipt trans setup?

LOL look it this kid still trying to talk smack....I thought you were done with this thread :rolleyes:

If kiggly just went over to ipt recently, cause if you look at the date on his time 10-6-04 how are we supposed to know so damn fast of his change up? Were ignorant ok..sorry we arent hangin at the ipt shop all day hangin out with john. We are from MI news probably doesnt travel as fast as you would get it since you are just so buddy buddy with john in NJ. Thanks for lettin us know that kiggly went ipt, thats pretty sweet..But seriously dude grow up callin us ignorant and stuff so uncalled for dont even get us started again. :mad:

98TalonTSi said:
Wow..you guys are ignorant.....YES..KIGGLY IS BACK TO A/T with an IPT trans.
http://www.ddsm.org/vrcracing/fastest.htm ........hmmmm.. look at that for once you both don't know everything.
And HERE HERE Bill for being in NJ!
Mike
Post the info without calling people "ignorant". You're adding fuel to the fire and you're gonna get banned for it. There is no need to make things worse in this thread.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back