The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Max HP on Auto with Shift kit and end clutch?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom1995tsi

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 25, 2003
Hazleton, Pennsylvania
Im goin to be getting a translab shift kit and end clutch eventually im almost done with step 1 on the mods list. What is the horse power limit after you get a shift kit and end clutch?

tom1995tsi said:
Im goin to be getting a translab shift kit and end clutch eventually im almost done with step 1 on the mods list. What is the horse power limit after you get a shift kit and end clutch?

Unfortunately, due to almost endless variables, there is definitely no cut and dried answer to your question.

-John

Who knows..my trans lasted 6 months after the install of those parts, with no track passes. Prior to install, I had made at least 20 passes on the bone stock trans. Who knew what condition it was in even before I owned it.
Mike

This car is my every day driver and i really want to upgrade to a 50 trim turbo, but i dont want the transmission to break. The car only has 36k original miles and was taken care of very well. Is it possible to get around 400 whp with just a shift kit and endclutch or do i need something more than that?

tom1995tsi said:
This car is my every day driver and i really want to upgrade to a 50 trim turbo, but i dont want the transmission to break. The car only has 36k original miles and was taken care of very well. Is it possible to get around 400 whp with just a shift kit and endclutch or do i need something more than that?

Don't forget to install a higher capacity tranny cooler. The stock one is one POS. B&M makes a racing cooler that works fine.

tom1995tsi said:
Again, I'm sure it's been done....but who knows how long it will last...can't imagine it would last that long.
Mike

i have a 60-1 on my car running 25 psi and my car is a beast! and i've just begun tuning! so for so good on the trans of corse i have a huge trans cooler.think of it this way and i think transdude will agree...heat kills transmissions....abuse or heavy duty usage without proper cooling or service will kill a tranny too. lots of heat+tranny= :cry:

Agreed..but.....what how much power do you think those stock trans internals can hold and the clutches, bands, etc. Heat is the number one killer of trans...did mine in...but don't think a large trans cooler on a stock transmission is a supplement to be able to handle real power.
Mike

I want to run low 13's high 12's I dont think i will need as much as 400 whp to do that. I just want to be able to put a big turbo on w/o having to worry about the tranny. Im prolly goining to go up to IPT when i save enough money and get a tranny cooler, shift kit, and end clutch installed. I really dont trust myself or anyone else installing this for me except IPT. I looked at the vfaq and it looks really hard. Maybe if i dont break boost it will save the tranny a ton when i get the big turbo. I dunno i guess ill wait and see.

When you start making big power things just eventually will break. Its all on how you use it if your mashing on it everyday going crazy on it then yeah the life of ur tranny will go quick. I just got my stuff rebuilt with IPT parts. It runs fine but i havent really been pushing it. ME and lots of ppl i know personally go through these auto trans pretty quick and have tried numerous ways to bulletproof them..In the end I believe there is no such thing as bulletproof..If you run a 16g with lots of supporting mods andmaybe put down 300 whp u can get high 13s or high 12s, you should be able to keep that tranny reliable with that setup..and do what everyone else said like gettin a cooler..I would also look into gettin a tranny temp gauge. Puttin new fluid in the trans at the required times is a must dont slack it doesnt even hurt to do it a lil early..Just some ideas :thumb:

Eclipsei95cl said:
I just got my stuff rebuilt with IPT parts. It runs fine but i havent really been pushing it. ME and lots of ppl i know personally go through these auto trans pretty quick and have tried numerous ways to bulletproof them..In the end I believe there is no such thing as bulletproof..
Not to start an argument, but Russ Coxe is making some serious power, and puts his trans through hell....when John at IPT pulled it apart, there was nothing wrong with it... :cool: Not saying it's bulletproof, but you do the math.... ;)

With the IPT tranny rebuild kit would that make the tranny hold alot more power?

98TalonTSi said:
Not to start an argument, but Russ Coxe is making some serious power, and puts his trans through hell....when John at IPT pulled it apart, there was nothing wrong with it... :cool: Not saying it's bulletproof, but you do the math.... ;)

I knew u would say russ coxe but were talkin daily driven automatics..Not cars that just do passes on the track. I have talked to russ online before and he says his tranny is taken out and inspected and just about everything is replaced for every few passes he makes. I dont believe our trannys will break if u put 300 400 hp to it at one point but if your driving everyday with that power say bye bye to the tranny cause the parts will get weak and break. Plus russ's car is a pure race car and has so many sponsors to back em up im just saying he gets the best of everything and stuff we might not ever see. Most of the stuff IPT offers are good stuff nonetheless dont get me wrong but it isnt bulletproof..most of the guys on here that i see that have gotten the whole treatment from IPT are all runnin like 16gs or smaller..I wanna see someone with a very big turbo at least a 50 trim or higher runnin the ipt tranny or making at least 350+hp that is a daily driver and then see how the tranny holds up then. im not saying it will break but then we can know for sure of how much these ipt trannys can hold.. :thumb:

I'm going to disagree with that as I'm good friends with John. Russ hasn't replaced a single part in the trans minus a new torque converter, because his flexplate bolts tore it up from an engine failure, everything else was fine.
Also very good information is that the same trans that Russ is running, is the same trans that I'm running and the same trans that everyone else who buys an IPT race prepped trans.
You think I'll be running that B16g for long :shhh:
Mike

98TalonTSi said:
I'm going to disagree with that as I'm good friends with John. Russ hasn't replaced a single part in the trans minus a new torque converter, because his flexplate bolts tore it up from an engine failure, everything else was fine.
Also very good information is that the same trans that Russ is running, is the same trans that I'm running and the same trans that everyone else who buys an IPT race prepped trans.
You think I'll be running that B16g for long :shhh:
Mike

Like i said i know his tranny came out all nice and stuff but he doesnt drive that car as much as me,you, or anyone that drives there car everyday. Im sure the tranny holds on just running track runs like you said and im sure he gets new fluids gaskets filter and all the maintence stuff done everytime. I just wanna see the IPT trans proven on a daily driven 350+hp car..thats it
-My stock tranny went out on me with a big16g
-Fully rebuild level 10 tranny was done to it then were talkin 3500 bucks worth of stuff.
-then broke once i had a 60-1 on it for less than a month
-now i got the ipt rebuild kit on my car..one of the reasons why i chose not to send it to john is because 2800 bucks is alot of money and for a college kid that doesnt come by often and since my level 10 broke with 3500 bucks worth of stuff into it i couldnt take that risk again. I know level 10 sucks now i know that is but im still waiting for the ipt trans to be proven on a street car..Then i might consider the fact that the Full IPT trannys are as close as you can get to bulletproof.

OK.
I'm glad that everyone knows so much about Russ Coxe’s trans.

Here are the facts.

Russ' trans isn't inspected every few passes- it was taken apart once. It was only apart because I felt it needed to be checked after a converter bolt and flexplate failure. Period.

Furthermore, when the trans was apart, it was perfect in every way. Period.

IPT has had one DSM transmission failure EVER. The failure was directly traceable to a component that was not manufactured by us and we immediately and completely dropped that particular manufacturer's entire product line.

There are several people out there with IPT transmissions and big turbos, driving them on the street, but I guess if they don't post on this forum or DSM Talk they must not exist.

I can't comprehend how the world's fastest auto DSM with a Mitsubishi trans comes out of my shop, but the quality of our workmanship is questioned.

It seems ironic to me that people who actually own IPT transmissions don’t seem to question their quality.

-John

So maybe i should save up for a manual swap because it seems that a automatic will just break if i put a 50 trim on :| I didnt know that an automatic was limited to 300 hp WITH the upgraded shift kit ect. I dunno im kinda sad now because i wasnt planning on spending over $500 on the tranny parts. I guess ill get the cooler, shift kit and end clutch installed and see how it goes.

I didnt read what transdude said before i posted that last post. It seems like everyone thinks that once you get a decent sized turbo the tranny will instantly break in half. Im just goining to find out for myself.

transdude said:
OK.
I'm glad that everyone knows so much about Russ Coxe’s trans.

Here are the facts.

Russ' trans isn't inspected every few passes- it was taken apart once. It was only apart because I felt it needed to be checked after a converter bolt and flexplate failure. Period.

Furthermore, when the trans was apart, it was perfect in every way. Period.

IPT has had one DSM transmission failure EVER. The failure was directly traceable to a component that was not manufactured by us and we immediately and completely dropped that particular manufacturer's entire product line.

There are several people out there with IPT transmissions and big turbos, driving them on the street, but I guess if they don't post on this forum or DSM Talk they must not exist.

I can't comprehend how the world's fastest auto DSM with a Mitsubishi trans comes out of my shop, but the quality of our workmanship is questioned.

It seems ironic to me that people who actually own IPT transmissions don’t seem to question their quality.

-John

God has spoken himself :laugh:

Hey john I dont in anyway feel IPT is a bad company so dont get that in your head. If there is a good trans place its IPT for our cars no question about that..when people ask me where to get trans stuff I probably referred them to your site 20-30 times on here. I didnt say that guys with big turbo that run your trans didnt exist..Its just I havent heard of anyone running that setup..Why would i think they didnt exist because they werent on this site im not dumb..I just have never heard of anyone thats all. but like you say there out there so i wouldnt doubt you and you said that there has only been one tranny failure from you guys and i dont doubt your words there ethier. Just one thing why do you guys offer such a small warranty its like 90 days right? Level 10 offered a 1 yr warranty..I know level 10 is shit but i was just wondering why you guys offer such a small warranty I hope it doesnt cause no offense because IPT is number 1 :thumb:

tom1995tsi said:
I didnt read what transdude said before i posted that last post. It seems like everyone thinks that once you get a decent sized turbo the tranny will instantly break in half. Im just goining to find out for myself.

LOL sorry we kinda just jacked your thread... :laugh: But yeah on a stock trans a 50 trim wont hold forever. My cousin with his 95 tsi (stock trans)had a 50 trim running 15psi and he drove it from school and back everyday..and now the trans is caked he just all of the sudden one day it just shift like crap and he couldnt get into certain gears, tranny slips and yeah case in point stock trans more than likely will not hold 50 trim. Well i guess ur best bet would be to get the full IPT rebuild kit and that should keep you from breaking.

When you say the people running an IPT trans is that a total tranmission? Or the shift kit, end clutch, and cooler with a tranny rebuild kit?

Eclipsei95cl said:
God has spoken himself :laugh:

Hey john I dont in anyway feel IPT is a bad company so dont get that in your head. If there is a good trans place its IPT for our cars no question about that..when people ask me where to get trans stuff I probably referred them to your site 20-30 times on here. I didnt say that guys with big turbo that run your trans didnt exist..Its just I havent heard of anyone running that setup..Why would i think they didnt exist because they werent on this site im not dumb..I just have never heard of anyone thats all. but like you say there out there so i wouldnt doubt you and you said that there has only been one tranny failure from you guys and i dont doubt your words there ethier. Just one thing why do you guys offer such a small warranty its like 90 days right? Level 10 offered a 1 yr warranty..I know level 10 is shit but i was just wondering why you guys offer such a small warranty I hope it doesnt cause no offense because IPT is number 1 :thumb:

No offence taken, but again, where are you coming up with the statement that our warranty is only 90 days?

The only warranty that is posted on our website is for parts- not complete transmissions.

Our basic trans warranty is for one year. Also, keep in mind, the difference between us and other shops is that we would actually honor our warranty if a warranty situation came up.

-John

WOW!

I don't think I have ever seen my name being tossed around in a thread like this before.

Let me try to clear a few things up.

1) My tranny is not rebuilt every couple of passes. John rebuilt my tranny at the beginning of this year and took it apart once to inspect how it was holding up to my abuse. John has built me a very good tranny. I am very pleased with the results and would recommend that anyone considering building a high horsepower A/T seek him out.

2) My requirements for a tranny are quite a bit different from a street car. It needs to shift when I want and hold the power. This tranny does both of these things very well. I put down nearly 600hp and the tranny has not complained. BTW, I run the car up to 9000 rpm.

3) Sponsorship is when people give you money. No one gives me any money to run my car. Its sponsored by visa and mastercard. I however do have some good relationships with companies like IPT and ECM tuning. Without their help I would never have been able to have as much success.

4) There are no "secret" parts on my car. Everything can be purchased from the vendors listed on my website.

5) A 50 trim is NOT a big turbo :)

-Russ

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back