The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G What to expect from shift kit, end clutch and torque converter

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitsuclipsegsx

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 5, 2004
Dover plains, New_York
what can i expect my 1/4 to be if i install a shift kit,end clutch and torque converter, like 1 sec off .5?
thanks

how is that vague???? i am just aking how much time i will take off my 1/4 w/ those 3 things

I did those 3 thins with a rebuilt tranny also and went from 14.3 to 13.4, so yeah , close from .5 to 1 sec for sure.

I'd say you're good for at least .5 I unfortunately waited too long between mods to know what did what. But, with my new trans and TC, I was able to take almost 2/10 off my bottom end, giving me a 2.21 60' still on street tires and leaving with 17psi.
Mike

Typically, we see at least a .5 reduction in et with our converters.

Gains from a shift kit are usually not measurable, it is more of a durability/drivability improvement.

Of course, there are no guarantees- there are a lot of variables from vehicle to vehicle.

-John

Of course, there are no guarantees- there are a lot of variables from vehicle to vehicle.

-John

ok what do u see ( times) from 98 gsx eclipse

He means every vehicle is differnt..

Not all 98 GSX Eclipses are the same...

Converters are your best bet to improve 1/4 mile times.. It also depends on how big of a stall converter you had in mind.

Every car's different, plus you've never said how modded/not your car is. At best, you are going to get answers of how it improved out of an average of multiple cars. What you need to do is make sure you understand what each does and then you might have a better idea of how much the 1/4 might improve and where the improvement is going to be made.

My stock TC had an abnormally high stall. The restalled TC goes higher, but as far as short times goes I don't believe it's a huge difference. My stock TC got me a 1.87 60ft with a 14b. Will my restalled TC get me a 0.2 reduction? Most likely not. We'll see next season what it does...

the shift kit and end clutch is relativly easy to install right??

its comes with everything needed for the install right?
no extra parts needed?

The end clutch is very easy. I've not done a shift kit, but it looks harder. I have removed the valve body from the tranny before, though, and that part is not hard. But I'm hesitant to break that VB open...

mitsuclipsegsx said:
what can i expect my 1/4 to be if i install a shift kit,end clutch and torque converter, like 1 sec off .5?
thanks

i really hate these types of questions. There really is no way to answer it. But these mods do make a pretty big impact on our a/t performance. If you can find a shop to do it for a reasonable price.... i say go for it. the same way 5 speed guys upgrade their clutch and flywheels to handle more power, we must do the same.

I purchased a shift kit to put into my gs-t, but i never got it done.... couldnt find anyone affordable. I gave it to a friend of mine in hopes that he could find some one to do it.

if you live anywhere near new jersey, i would strongly recommend transdude, aka john at IPT.

Tyler

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back